Good Famicom games for a handheld...

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Good Famicom games for a handheld...

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

In a spate of weird handheld buying influenced by my time in China/boredom/access to Taobao, I picked up these things:

and

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me some Famicom carts that would be fun to pick up and play with the caveat that translation either not be important and that they would be suitable for portable gaming where I can pick up and resume (preferably with a save game) easily.

Any recommendations?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Good Famicom games for a handheld...

Post by Kong Wen »

Obviously not limited to legit Famicom carts, considering it looks like you have a pirate PS1 demake on there. :lol:

The Famicom version of Castlevania should be a good one.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Kong Wen wrote:Obviously not limited to legit Famicom carts, considering it looks like you have a pirate PS1 demake on there. :lol:

The Famicom version of Castlevania should be a good one.
I also bought this from Taobao:

One of those carts has Castlevania on it so I've already got that in portable form. It is indeed a good one though.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Doki Doki Panic would be another good one!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:Doki Doki Panic would be another good one!
I believe Doki Doki Panic was a Famicom disk for the disk system add on (you had to turn the disks over or put in another one like some of the PS1 games). I don't think there is a cart for it and the guy at the game store in Tokyo shook his head when I said it and pointed to the wall of Famicom games.

But I am sure there is a cart copy of it somewhere!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

There's a list partway through this thread at nintendoage. It has some bootlegs, but it's missing Angry Birds.

How did you order from Taobao? Do you know Chinese? Or is there an option to buy in English that I missed?
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

pdSlooper wrote:There's a list partway through this thread at nintendoage. It has some bootlegs, but it's missing Angry Birds.

How did you order from Taobao? Do you know Chinese? Or is there an option to buy in English that I missed?
You can use chrome translate however my secret is that I've been living in China for the past year and a half (although I've now moved to Ko Samui) . It is a treasure trove of knockoffs but also legitimately useful services.

I've bought stuff like these bootlegs that have been worrying collectors I've shown them too:

This was from the same guy who produced the English FFVII demake cart.

I also got a frontlit mod for my NGPC:

It's probably for the best that I left China otherwise I'd have collected even more ingenious crap :)

I think I can still use Taobao to deliver to other parts of Asia though so I will keep an eye out for the games on that list.

Doki Doki Panic would be a good one, I wouldn't be surprised if some Chinese hobbyist hasn't found a way to put it onto a bootleg cart by now.