BGE Questions & General Discussion

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: BGE Questions & General Discussion

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:I remember seeing a post with a link to a google doc with the standings of the last 2 BGE. I can't seem to find that post. Anyone have the link? Or the link to that post.
It was put on ice for the nomination period so people wouldn't be tempted to harvest games from it based on their performance, ratings, rankings, etc. from last time. I'll dig it up and repost it.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

For the final round, if possible, we should keep the votes hidden until the end to build up suspense.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:For the final round, if possible, we should keep the votes hidden until the end to build up suspense.
Hmm, I don't think it's currently possible, but I'll look into whether there's a way to make that work. Because that would actually be an awesome mod—not let anyone see the vote totals until either 1. they have already voted, or 2. the poll has closed.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:For the final round, if possible, we should keep the votes hidden until the end to build up suspense.
Hmm, I don't think it's currently possible, but I'll look into whether there's a way to make that work. Because that would actually be an awesome mod—not let anyone see the vote totals until either 1. they have already voted, or 2. the poll has closed.
Especially in certain cases where there are clear winners, keeping the votes hidden will at least keep people guessing throughout the week!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

I'm just staring at the current brackets and imagining a world where, instead of ten variations of [Nintendo character] vs. [probably another Nintendo character], it's stuff like "Maxim vs. The Nameless One" and "Captain Zelnick vs. Grayson Burrows." It's a pretty cool world.

Rob
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Pluvius wrote:I'm just staring at the current brackets and imagining a world where, instead of ten variations of [Nintendo character] vs. [probably another Nintendo character], it's stuff like "Maxim vs. The Nameless One" and "Captain Zelnick vs. Grayson Burrows." It's a pretty cool world.

Rob
Meh, I kinda gave up slightly on some of this. Still voting, but I'm using this more as an observation tool on what indie games everyone enjoys followed up with "Oh hey, CLASSICS!"
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Drauks wrote:
Pluvius wrote:I'm just staring at the current brackets and imagining a world where, instead of ten variations of [Nintendo character] vs. [probably another Nintendo character], it's stuff like "Maxim vs. The Nameless One" and "Captain Zelnick vs. Grayson Burrows." It's a pretty cool world.

Rob
Meh, I kinda gave up slightly on some of this. Still voting, but I'm using this more as an observation tool on what indie games everyone enjoys followed up with "Oh hey, CLASSICS!"
1/32 (3%) indie games left in the contest. Definitely a lot of classics left. Average release year is 1997. But I suppose the best game ever lends itself to the ever part, with games that have been around for ever more having more time to build up some best. (Not really a reflection on those games, but on the mindsets of nominators & voters as the define best ever for themselves.)
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Kong Wen wrote:
Drauks wrote:

Rob
1/32 (3%) indie games left in the contest. Definitely a lot of classics left. Average release year is 1997. But I suppose the best game ever lends itself to the ever part, with games that have been around for ever more having more time to build up some best. (Not really a reflection on those games, but on the mindsets of nominators & voters as the define best ever for themselves.)
Well, that's why I listed it first. It was interesting to see when Papers, Please! and Guac started getting their pushes.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

I meant to put this in the grievances thread, whoops.

Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Drauks wrote:It was interesting to see when Papers, Please! and Guac started getting their pushes.
Yeah, it's interesting to see which games manage to gather momentum in the earlier stages of the contest (Doom II is the one that's made it the furthest, incidentally). But as the funnel narrows, even those people's champions end up getting crushed by the big names. When you get right down to the end, it can feel like the last couple rounds are determined by the luck of the seeding. It was quite a happy surprise last year when Chrono Trigger and Metal Gear Solid managed to go deep.