BGE Questions & General Discussion

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: BGE Questions & General Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah I'm liking this method. Nice as well to see games nominated from years prior that I've totally forgotten about.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 10 Feb 2020 14:55 I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding the Round of Pools to be a quite effective way of seeding the tournament, much moreso than number of nominations / nomination priority!

The Admin has sorted the results-so-far in the main spreadsheet / master list (link in the nomination thread) and it's a pretty solid list of games floating to the top. It'll be interesting to see how it looks when we get through a few hundred more games!
I'll take your word for it!

By the way, before I vote in any more, what the hell is the deal with voting? My intuition told me that you could cast one vote for each of the numbers (ie one game gets 3, one game gets 2, one game gets 1), but that seems to not be the case? I don't want to vote on any more pools until I know what I'm actually doing!
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 29 Mar 2020 23:27 By the way, before I vote in any more, what the hell is the deal with voting? My intuition told me that you could cast one vote for each of the numbers (ie one game gets 3, one game gets 2, one game gets 1), but that seems to not be the case? I don't want to vote on any more pools until I know what I'm actually doing!
Oops, I replied in the other thread, but basically you can vote for 0-3 games and you have 6 points to distribute. The max number of points you can give to one game is 3. So you can go 1-1-1, 3-3, 2-2-2, etc. As long as you vote for 3 or less games and keep the total points to 6 or less.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

How much longer on round 1?

Will round 2 go any faster since its the same amount of games?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 02 May 2020 13:56 How much longer on round 1?

Will round 2 go any faster since its the same amount of games?
I think we have around 850 games left plus possible incoming nominations, so I'd say 9 weeks at 100 games per week.

100 games per week is a pretty good clip! I'm not sure how we'd make it go much faster than that. First round will have been 26 weeks which is exactly half a year. Might feel nice to close out 2020 with the second preliminary round. :)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Unless we get an assload of new nominations, next week will be the last week of the first round of pools.
Conveniently, it's also week 26, which should be the exact halfway week of the year!

This means the second round of pools should take us into the very beginning of 2021 (it'll be slightly longer than the first round, because there will of course be new nominations coming in).

As soon as the first round of pools is over, I'll go through the whole sheet and rank the games. This'll just be for our interest, since the second round pools will be randomized again. Seeding won't come into play until the elimination round.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 23 Jun 2020 18:46 Unless we get an assload of new nominations, next week will be the last week of the first round of pools.
Conveniently, it's also week 26, which should be the exact halfway week of the year!

This means the second round of pools should take us into the very beginning of 2021 (it'll be slightly longer than the first round, because there will of course be new nominations coming in).

As soon as the first round of pools is over, I'll go through the whole sheet and rank the games. This'll just be for our interest, since the second round pools will be randomized again. Seeding won't come into play until the elimination round.
So is this our last week to nominate games?

Also
it's also week 26
Damn...
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 24 Jun 2020 15:45
Kong Wen wrote: 23 Jun 2020 18:46 Unless we get an assload of new nominations, next week will be the last week of the first round of pools.

So is this our last week to nominate games?

Also
it's also week 26
Damn...
No, we can continue to nominate games throughout the second round of pools as well—those games will just be at a seeding disadvantage because they'll only have received one round of votes.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

How does round 2 work? I thought round 1 was to seed everything then round 2 would be seeded brackets with games being knocked out but it seems like round 2 is similar to round 1. So what exactly is the purpose of round 2?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 07 Jul 2020 12:21 How does round 2 work? I thought round 1 was to seed everything then round 2 would be seeded brackets with games being knocked out but it seems like round 2 is similar to round 1. So what exactly is the purpose of round 2?
To seed the elimination brackets. Sometimes tough pools come up where people can't vote for excellent games because of other excellent games. Stirring the mix up again and then piling some more votes on allows us to build up complex gluten-chains, giving every game two chances to fight against tough pool-seeding RNG and making the elimination brackets even more delicious.

[Original ruleset from December 2019.]