Classic series you've missed out on

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Drauks
Aspirant

Re: Classic series you've missed out on

Post by Drauks »

There are several game series throughout the years that I've skipped out on, for one reason or another. After having played so much Mega Man, Mario, Sonic, and Metroid I dipped out when any other platformer would come along, whether 2D or 3D. If there's a big series not included in those four, you can safely bet I've missed it.

As Kong mentioned in his initial post, I too have dipped out on the majority of the Metal Gear Solid series. I've bought and am playing 5, but have been assured it's not like the others. Fire Emblem was another complete miss; I know about it through friends, but that's it. Pokemon after the first generation was whiffed on, as I couldn't get my hands on a newer model Gameboy growing up. Another series I initially wanted to play, but after experiencing MMO grind have had a dying interest in was the Monster Hunter games.

Actually, with the mention of Pokemon, I must confess not having a Nintendo product after the Nintendo 64. My brother had a Gamecube, but we mostly played my Playstation 2. That alone knocks out a several series, most notably for me being Zelda and the latter Metroid games.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Drauks wrote:There are several game series throughout the years that I've skipped out on, for one reason or another. After having played so much Mega Man, Mario, Sonic, and Metroid I dipped out when any other platformer would come along, whether 2D or 3D. If there's a big series not included in those four, you can safely bet I've missed it.
Castlevania?
Drauks wrote:I must confess not having a Nintendo product after the Nintendo 64. My brother had a Gamecube, but we mostly played my Playstation 2. That alone knocks out a several series, most notably for me being Zelda and the latter Metroid games.
As long as you've played the NES to N64 ones, you're covered.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Kong Wen wrote:Castlevania?
Just the first.
Kong Wen wrote:As long as you've played the NES to N64 ones, you're covered.
Oh definitely, I just know that a lot of people fawn over the last few games for both series.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

I was fairly lucky growing up, my Dad was a big gamer and he had most of the consoles and the big games so I usually managed to play at least one game in classic series. But here are a few off the top of my head:

Silent Hill. Even though I loved games like Resident Evil, I never got to play any of the series.
Quite a few PS2 Sony games like Jak and Daxter, Sly, Ratchet and Clank and God of War. That's despite me playing my PS2 within an inch of its life.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Drauks wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:Castlevania?
Just the first.
Kong Wen wrote:As long as you've played the NES to N64 ones, you're covered.
Oh definitely, I just know that a lot of people fawn over the last few games for both series.
You severely missed out on Wind Waker I think, and Metroid Prime, but both of those are on Wii U ;)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

This won't be a fun list.

Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Bioshock (does that count as classic?)
Diablo (I played a little bit in an internet cafe and really enjoyed it but for some reason never bought it)
Star Fox
Final Fantasy (I've only played X so far so I feel like I'm totally out of the loop)
Jet Set Radio (Pretty sure there were 2 of them)
Monkey Island
Professor Layton
Sonic the Hedgehog (bar playing a little sonic here and there I couldn't tell you what game it was though)
Tales Series
Tekken
Mario Party
Warcraft (excluding World of Warcraft which im told is different)
Metroid

About 5 years ago I had never touched a Zelda game, kingdom hearts, the sims, dragons quest, crash bandicoot, kirby, animal crossing, castlevania or 3D mario game.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Also Monster Hunter. I've only ever played a demo on 3DS, and it was overwhelming. No tutorial at all.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Fire Emblem is the only series I can think of where I feel I truly missed out. Particularly unusual given that I've owned every single system they've appeared on, aside from Wii U (and I don't believe there's been an entry on that system thus far).
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

Slurmee wrote: Metroid
I can help you here.
Start with Metroid Zero Mission. It's short, beautiful, relatively simple, and the most technically advanced of the 2D Metroid.
Then play it again, this time try to explore all the areas you might have missed the first run.
Then play it again, this time hunt down all the secrets areas and passages you should have started realizing they were there.
Then play it again, this time going for the 100%.

When you've done that and you're smiling thinking you have finally found one of the most satisfying games in history, get back and we start talking about Metroid Prime.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Forgot to mention up until very recently I'd never played a Mega Man game. I got the first one of the Virtual Console and I can't say I enjoyed it. Yeah, I know it's not considered the best in the series, but I still have no motivation to play any of the others.