Classic series you've missed out on

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Classic series you've missed out on

Post by Kong Wen »

Humphries90 wrote:Forgot to mention up until very recently I'd never played a Mega Man game. I got the first one of the Virtual Console and I can't say I enjoyed it. Yeah, I know it's not considered the best in the series, but I still have no motivation to play any of the others.
It's definitely not the best Mega Man game, but it does pretty accurately let you know what you're getting with the series.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

neuzd wrote:
Slurmee wrote: Metroid
I can help you here.
Start with Metroid Zero Mission. It's short, beautiful, relatively simple, and the most technically advanced of the 2D Metroid.
Then play it again, this time try to explore all the areas you might have missed the first run.
Then play it again, this time hunt down all the secrets areas and passages you should have started realizing they were there.
Then play it again, this time going for the 100%.

When you've done that and you're smiling thinking you have finally found one of the most satisfying games in history, get back and we start talking about Metroid Prime.
I second that!
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: I'm like you in this regard, as I think you already know. Often, my having not tried a series like the ones mentioned here is made worse by the weight of knowing there are many entries that I would want to get through. Rather than just jump into, say, MGS V to say I've tried the series out, I feel obligated to start from the beginning. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, it can just make it hard to shake the inertia and get started.

OK... maybe 2016 is the year!!
This problem is exacerbated with Metal Gear because, IMO, release order is just about the only way to play these games (although arguably the 8-bit games can be played whenever you want, since synopses of their short-by-comparison plots are found within MGS1, and MGS1 was the first international release of the series). But I'm sure you don't need me to tell you again that I highly recommend taking on the series gauntlet!
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:
I second that!
Me too. Zero Mission is outstanding. My favorite Metroid.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:Also Monster Hunter. I've only ever played a demo on 3DS, and it was overwhelming. No tutorial at all.
That's kind of a big issue with the series, they've never found a truely good way of teaching the basics to newcomers, and the demos never explain much. I will say that MH4U has a much better tutorial than MH3U, it's just one of those series where the first thing you do is look up YouTube videos on how to play, and ideally have a friend that can show you the ropes.
Humphries90 wrote:Forgot to mention up until very recently I'd never played a Mega Man game. I got the first one of the Virtual Console and I can't say I enjoyed it. Yeah, I know it's not considered the best in the series, but I still have no motivation to play any of the others.
My first foray into the series was Mega Man 9 on Wiiware, afterwards I tried out Mega Man 2. Definitely not a series for everyone, it's a game that requires you to try and try again.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

Series I really want to try and (hopefully) get into:

Assassin's Creed
Castlevania (only played Rebirth and the bad one on gameboy)
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Hitman
Metal Gear Solid
Monster Hunter
Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
Tales of (only played Tales of Hearts R which I loved)

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yasume wrote:Series I really want to try and (hopefully) get into:

Assassin's Creed
I feel bad that the only entry I've played in the series was AC III. I played it for a couple hours but the intro really bored me and I didn't like how objectIves for missions were both unclear and easy to mess up. My friends tell me it was easily the worst in the series but it soured my taste.

With that said, I really enjoyed the online multiplayer for the game. I thought it was really creative, but I was playing it on Wii U at launch, so the online community was barren. Took half an hour to find a match sometimes.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Yasume wrote: Assassin's Creed
You didn't miss much here. I really wanted to like AssCreed 2 for it's setting and I really, REALLY couldn't like it at all.
Yasume wrote: Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
This surprises me, as especially Persona 3/4 seem to be right up your alley.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:
Yasume wrote: Assassin's Creed
You didn't miss much here. I really wanted to like AssCreed 2 for it's setting and I really, REALLY couldn't like it at all.
Yasume wrote: Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
This surprises me, as especially Persona 3/4 seem to be right up your alley.
I'm thinking of starting Persona 4 Golden before the end of the year, but I said the same last year and ended up playing Tales of Hearts R. Everytime the time and mood is there I give priority to another (J)RPG. Maybe I'm unintentionally postponing an inevitable new addiction. :roll:

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I second Kiwi's sentiment, Yasume. Didn't end up as a series I like, but given your tastes, your fear of a new addiction is well founded.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've never played Metal Gear Solid, Fallout or Assassin's Creed, among likely many others.

I would probably really like Fallout. The only excuse I have for not playing that one is that I don't have time.