Classic series you've missed out on

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Re: Classic series you've missed out on

Post by pdSlooper »

I tried starting up the PSP Monster Hunter I have, and like, there's a tutorial in a bookcase or diary or something, and it's a hojillion pages long. Eeeeeef that.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:I tried starting up the PSP Monster Hunter I have, and like, there's a tutorial in a bookcase or diary or something, and it's a hojillion pages long. Eeeeeef that.
The only tutorial you need is YouTube. Find a weapon you like, search up a video on it and begin to master your skills, the rest will come.

Just thought of a series I think I'd enjoy, but I've never touched.

The Batman Arkham series. I always hear good things about those games, and they get compared to Metroidvania's quite a bit, a genre we're lacking of in the 3D space. I think Arkham Knight is available on Wii U, one of them anyways.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

The Shoemaker wrote:The only tutorial you need is YouTube. Find a weapon you like, search up a video on it and begin to master your skills, the rest will come.
That idea is, legit, slightly repulsive to me. It's shitty game design if your game can't be playable without outside resources. Like holy shit. Glad I only spent like $5 on the game.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

The Shoemaker wrote: The Batman Arkham series. I always hear good things about those games, and they get compared to Metroidvania's quite a bit, a genre we're lacking of in the 3D space. I think Arkham Knight is available on Wii U, one of them anyways.
If you intend to play them, go for Arkham Asylum and only that one. It's tight, it's fun and should be quite affordable. It's really the only one I would recommend.
The sequels all suffer from a disease called Ubisoftening, where the total area expands due to the addition of hot air and by Fibonacci sequence multiplication of boring collectibles.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:The only tutorial you need is YouTube. Find a weapon you like, search up a video on it and begin to master your skills, the rest will come.
That idea is, legit, slightly repulsive to me. It's shitty game design if your game can't be playable without outside resources. Like holy shit. Glad I only spent like $5 on the game.
Totally agree, (without being repulsed). It's an issue the series has always had. The newest one, MH4 Ultimate. Has actual tutorial missions for individual weapons, which teach you a good amount. I still prefer gaijin hunter on Youtube because he goes through specific steps while visually showing you the combo potential, as well as going into advanced stuff.

Of course, the best way to get into Monster Hunter is with a friend.

Kiwi - Asylum was the first one, correct? I'll have to hunt it down on 360 then if I ever get one.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Kiwi - Asylum was the first one, correct? I'll have to hunt it down on 360 then if I ever get one.
Yes, and I totally agree with Kiwi's recommendation. The first one is a solid contender for my BGE list—very tightly designed and well-paced game. The sequels lose sight of what made the first one great, instead trying to latch onto some kind of open world concept.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Have to agree with that. Bigger doesn't always mean better. AA was a brilliant game, even coming from me who couldn't care less about Batman or comic book heroes.