Kickstarter: What are you backing?

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Crowdfunding (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)

Post by VictorViper »

Ploov, the KS thread is in the Misc. Gaming section but is a little different in spirit, with the main focus of folks putting games out there they are currently backing.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I personally don't have a problem with kick starter campaigns staying open longer than they need to be. with mighty number 9 I know a lot of people think they got too much money for the game they're making, but what does it matter? Publishers are looking to make as much money as possible, if more people want to give them money, why should they stop? It's essentially just ensuring more pre-orders. All that matters is that they deliver what was promised.

I fund games I think might need the help, the one exception was Yoka Laylay, where it looks to be a great game and backers are given bonuses. I don't fund too many though, I also like to wait for the final product. I never pay more than the minimum price for the game.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I hate recurring payments, so I never fund Patreons. Kickstarters I have nothing against a one-time small donation, but so far I haven't donated anything. I was going to donate to Bloodstained, but it smashed all its goals, so...
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I don't like recurring payments either. That's why I've never donated to Patreon. However, I've been very tempted to fund a group that does video game fandubs for games that don't have any notable voice acting whatsoever. The whole "monthly payment" system that Patreon utilizes is the main reason why I have refrained to make any donations thus far. I would just rather make a flat donation, even if it is more expensive, than have to constantly monitor a drain on my account.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

I've put towards Shovel Knight, which I'm truly happy with. I knew it would be awesome the first time I saw the original demo for the Kickstarter campaign.

I also put towards Mighty No.9. I'm not even a Mega Man fan, I guess I just got caught up in the hype at the time. It looks pretty mediocre and the art style is naff.

Shortly after Shovel Knight I put towards Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians which looked promising. That however, slipped by it's release date a long time ago with hardly any word from the developers. Truly a mess. I don't really care since it didn't even hit the stretch goals I needed to be able to play it on a machine I have.

Since that time I've been very cautious about Kickstarts. Even though I've been really hyped for Shenmue 3, Bloodstained, and Yooka-Laylee, I didn't contribute anything to them.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I'm with Ploov; I'm actually kind of surprised by how useless the search is here. If a sober moderator doesn't beat me to it, I'll probably consider merging these two threads, as they're close enough in discussion value to support each other, but we'll see tomorrow.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I am excited for this!!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... rare-vival

Banjo Kazooie but different characters.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Kong Wen wrote:I'm with Ploov; I'm actually kind of surprised by how useless the search is here. If a sober moderator doesn't beat me to it, I'll probably consider merging these two threads, as they're close enough in discussion value to support each other, but we'll see tomorrow.
Yeah I'm all for this as well. I didn't see the other thread. My bad on that.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Bloodstained was another one I was considering funding, but I didn't want to fund for a Nintendo platform just for it to miss, but then it hit it and smashed all its goals, so I didn't fund.

I also funded Adventures of Pip, which came out back in June or so. It ended up being not bad, felt a little rushed. Soured my taste for kickstarters a little bit.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Re: Kickstarter: What are you backing?

Post by Jordan »

Bloodstained looked great, but by the time I even saw it, it was already funded and then some. At that point I decided that it didn't need my money. I was also very dubious about some of the stretch goals. It seemed like they were asking for a lot of money in order to add very little (like easter eggs).