Undertale

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Undertale

Post by pdSlooper »

So Undertale. It's a little Japanese-style RPG with heavy SNES jRPG (particularly Earthbound) influences. Its main gimmick is that you don't have to kill anyone - you can puzzle your way out of any battle (mostly) using the Act command. However, if you DO decide to battle your way through the game, that effects how the characters interact with you - or in some cases, don't interact, since if you're a complete homocidal maniac, towns will be abandoned, for instance. As far as I can tell, there are 3 primary endings with minor variations based mainly on how you act in battle.

There's a bit more to the game that has been covered in reviews, but you can read about that elsewhere or just play the demo that's on the website. I don't think I can really describe the game well. But I thought I'd give people a heads-up that it exists. IMO it's a must-play for jRPG fans.

[Kong Edit: Moved from PC Gaming to Miscellaneous Gaming, Tuesday, 22 August 2017.]
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Re: Undertale

Post by Spore »

pdSlooper wrote:IMO it's a must-play for jRPG fans.
You also don't have to be a JRPG fan. It's a very good game that shakes itself up often. The less you read about this one the better. It's an important release you'll see people bringing back up once 2015 GOTY awards start getting handed out.

Edit: Let's also enjoy this brief period where Undertale is the highest rated PC game of all time on Metacritic.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/ ... ?sort=desc

you can date a skeleton in Undertale
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Backed it on Kickstarter, only played a couple of hours so far though. Managed to avoid killing thus far, but it's been rough at times. I've game-overed a couple of times, I think I must have missed armor at some point.

Very interesting game, though, and it's subverted my expectations a few times which is a lot of fun. I'm going to recommend it to at least a few people for sure!

There's a demo that runs through the first half-hour or so of the game, for those on the fence. It's not save-game compatible though.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Gotten to around the 3-hour mark, the second major boss after the Ruins, pacifistic as I can be:
Spoiler
Undyne. Trying to do a no-attack run, so it was interesting to have the game go into and out of battle. The "blocking" variant on dodging was interesting, as was the variant used for Papyrus' fight, which I guess was platformer-y.

I feel like I missed the Temmie village somewhere in the caves, so I might try and track that down.

Once you spare enemies, do they come back? I'm a little concerned I'm making it harder for myself by spending money on healing items...
I've been playing only a half hour here and there, but the game still has my attention at this point for sure.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Undine is the best.

Once you defeat the boss of an area, there are no more random encounters for that area. So if you want monies, you'll need to do some grinding. Unless you solve the piano puzzle,
Spoiler
in which case you'll get Dog Residue that you can use to fill your inventory with Dog Residue and also sometimes Dog Salad. Dog Salad heals for anywhere from 2 to all of HP, and is good for most of your healing (honestly I used it in the antepenultimate battle (Pacifist Run), when I really shouldn't have). You can also sell Dog Residue for infinite money, which is almost as quick as grinding for money, honestly. If you sold all your Dog Residue already, Hotland is probably best for money grindings. Upwards of 100 a battle and some of the easier enemies, as opposed to 4th area where some of the enemies are kinda hard (or were for me). Though I did my grinding in 4th area because it was 100+ monies a battle with a save point right near by.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

smells like mettaton
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Now that this is out on PS4 & Vita, I've snagged a copy and played it very briefly so far, but it's quite charming. I've only gotten to what you'd probably consider the first boss. The music is great. Flowey is my favourite character so far. Looking forward to playing some more this week.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I think I'll wait for a sale, but I'll very likely pick it up on ps4 unless it's announced for Switch sometime.

I'm a little concerned that I might have spoiled a lot of the game for myself watching videogamedunkey's extensive video on it, but I'm still looking forward to playing it.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I've arrived at what I think is the final zone, although it's probably big enough that I'm not almost done the game yet. Undyne is indeed pretty awesome. My only complaint about the game so far is that it does some things intentionally to annoy the player, which is kind of subversive and charming in some cases, but also unfortunately kind of annoying. It undercuts itself for punchlines from time to time, but there's not as much meat in the other parts of the game to make up for it. I'm trying to avoid giving specific examples for spoilery reasons. I'm also saying this while still playing my first cycle through the game, and I understand it's meant to be played multiple times.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Game's two years old and you're in the Undertale thread. Spoil away my dude. The game gets pretty meta pretty fast.