Pixel Remaster Collection

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Pixel Remaster Collection

Post by Claytone »

Square Enix is putting 'em all on a disc/cart.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/ ... ection-ps4

Making this thread so Kong can write a big essay in here about why I shouldn't buy it without us clogging up the chatbox. :)

(To be clear: if no such argument is made by Kong or someone else, I'm probably gonna buy it.)
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Pixel Remaster Collection

Post by Kong Wen »

Alright, here comes.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Final Fantasy

We discussed this one at length in the chat already. The PSP version is the most complete & polished remake, but it disappointingly does away with the original's unique spell system. The original NES version is overall the best choice for pure retro appeal, but availability is an issue. The Pixel Remaster is a pretty decent compromise here.

:up:

Final Fantasy II

Again, the PSP version is excellent, and may actually be even better than the corresponding version of the previous game because it doesn't fuck with the systems in a detrimental way. I don't like the Dawn of Souls version as much. Assuming you're not reading Japanese and playing on a Famicom, it's really just between PSP and Pixel Remaster. This is a good option.

Final Fantasy III

Your only other real option for this game is the DS version, but that's using their funky 3D engine, so it's a complete remake rather than a remaster. The game is pretty similar, just fleshed out and chonky and 3D. If you want anything resembling the original experience, the Pixel Remaster is the way to go.

Final Fantasy IV

The Pixel Remaster of one of the series's easiest games is even easier than the original. That said, this is one of the story-driven entries, so it kind of doesn't matter if it's boringly easy, because you're just gliding through the experience rather than building up to overcome challenges. They don't mess around with too much, and in fact they fix some problems with the original. My main complaint is that many of the unique spell effects & animations from the original game were replaced with generic versions so they could be reused across multiple Pixel Remasters. That's kind of bad. Not enough to make a casual seek out a different version, though. The last accessible faithful version of this was probably on the Wii Virtual Console.

:? :up:

Final Fantasy V

In contrast with FF4, this one is a bit more mechanics-driven, so it bites a little more that it's easier, but also who cares I guess. There's actually not much wrong with this version. They replaced the original spell animations with the generic PR ones again, but that doesn't sting as much in this game because everything is meant to feel kind of generic with this job system. :D

Final Fantasy VI

This is the one that ends up being the sketchiest, largely because the original version is so much of an advancement over its predecessors. I understand that they have fixed many of the game-breaking and progress-blocking bugs in the most recent updates. The double-edge of this sword is that applying faux-nostalgic "pixel remaster" stuff like spell animations to a game that was already kind of beyond that at launch feels even more unnecessary here. I still give the edge to the SNES version. It doesn't have the downsides of original version recommendations for the previous games on the collection, other than I guess availability. The most recently accessible version of the good version of this game was on the SNES Classic Mini.

:|
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 18 Dec 2022 16:53 :up: / :up: / :up: / :? :up: / :up: / :|
This is actually a better ratio than I was expecting! I think I will probably go ahead and grab this. Only remaining decision is platform. 🤔

Oh, also one thing I didn't see you touch on was soundtracks. I think having the remastered (orchestral?) soundtracks in these new games sounds pretty nice, but how did you feel about 'em?
You got BOOST power!
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Oh! And above all, thanks for taking the time, my friend! :)
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 18 Dec 2022 21:00 Oh, also one thing I didn't see you touch on was soundtracks. I think having the remastered (orchestral?) soundtracks in these new games sounds pretty nice, but how did you feel about 'em?
The soundtracks are pretty good, by and large, with a couple of exceptions. There are a couple of rare tunes that I feel lose some of the clarity to the melody or instrumentation in the new versions. And specifically with the FF1 OST, the modern embellishment really does take away from those classic stripped-down retro chip melodies. But the new versions of those tunes are good. Just different.

Oh, the only other MAJOR exception to this is an important scene in Final Fantasy VI, which I won't spoil, but which is FULLY VOICED in the Pixel Remaster. I think it's OK but it's very different and I can see people having very different reactions to it. How much you can tolerate suddenly singing human voices in a SNES game is subjective lol.

There are a couple of voiced singing scenes in roughly contemporaneous Lunar: The Silver Star, but that was a Sega CD game with fully-animated anime cutscenes, so it was less out of place.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 19 Dec 2022 18:30 The soundtracks are pretty good, by and large, with a couple of exceptions. There are a couple of rare tunes that I feel lose some of the clarity to the melody or instrumentation in the new versions. And specifically with the FF1 OST, the modern embellishment really does take away from those classic stripped-down retro chip melodies. But the new versions of those tunes are good. Just different.

Oh, the only other MAJOR exception to this is an important scene in Final Fantasy VI, which I won't spoil, but which is FULLY VOICED in the Pixel Remaster. I think it's OK but it's very different and I can see people having very different reactions to it. How much you can tolerate suddenly singing human voices in a SNES game is subjective lol.

There are a couple of voiced singing scenes in roughly contemporaneous Lunar: The Silver Star, but that was a Sega CD game with fully-animated anime cutscenes, so it was less out of place.
Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I can see how going from chippy to modern/orchestral (esp. voiced) would prob be more jarring than switching between the midi and instrumental versions of, say, FFX's soundtrack.

Amusingly, after all this, I fumbled the bag, as the game sold out on both Switch and PS4 while I was struggling to decide which version I wanted. 🥴

Apparently SE has done this before, though (listed an RPG collection as an "extremely limited" SE Store exclusive) and then ultimately released a retail edition. We'll see what happens! Worst case I reckon I'll just go digital.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 19 Dec 2022 20:30 Apparently SE has done this before, though (listed an RPG collection as an "extremely limited" SE Store exclusive) and then ultimately released a retail edition. We'll see what happens! Worst case I reckon I'll just go digital.
SE store isn't a viable option in Canada anyway because they charge fucked up shipping & duty prices, so it'll be digital or theoretical-future-retail edition for me, or just playing the old ones. :)