OBJECTION! - BGE Grievances

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: OBJECTION! - BGE Grievances

Post by The Shoemaker »

Humphries90 wrote:Sad to see Yoshi's Island (probably) getting through ahead of SotC.

Yoshi's Woolly World eclipses Yoshi's Island in every aspect except nostalgia.
Was Wolly World in the BGE? I'd say it's better than Yoshi's Island as well, but I wasn't able to play it until BGE was well underway.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Humphries90 wrote:Yoshi's Woolly World eclipses Yoshi's Island in every aspect except nostalgia.
I think the late NA release date hurt it. But I agree with you.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Was Wolly World in the BGE?
It wasn't, and I think Slurm hit the nail on the head—it didn't come out until mid-October in North America. That's at least part of it.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

We're a very heavy North American based forum I think and people like myself probably were to busy with other things to play it.

Kong do you have stats on where everyone is from or where most of the traffic comes from?
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Also random question were any board games like monopoly or scrabble nominated or even care games like solitre or even Magic the gathering.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:We're a very heavy North American based forum I think and people like myself probably were to busy with other things to play it.

Kong do you have stats on where everyone is from or where most of the traffic comes from?
I know where everyone who nominated games is from:

Australia: 1 member (kawaiipikachu didn't submit any nominations) with 17 nominations
Canada: 8 members with 147 nominations
China: 1 member (though I believe Humphries is originally from the UK) with 27 nominations
Germany: 1 member with 20 nominations
Netherlands: 2 members with 73 nominations
Sweden: 3 members with 41 nominations
UK: 4 members with 76 nominations
USA: 21 members with 908 nominations
Slurmee wrote:Also random question were any board games like monopoly or scrabble nominated or even care games like solitre or even Magic the gathering.
Nah, video games only, although someone may have nominated video versions of some of those games.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Disappointed at the dearth of RPGs (J or W) in the 32 round. FF6 is the only one... Symphony of the Night might be the next closest game to an RPG. I would've hoped Planescape: Torment, one of the Personas, and nearly any Suikoden would have made it. I figured Warband and RTK games wouldn't survive.

There's only one strategy game, too, so my two favorite genres are pretty under-represented.

13 platformers from my count, 5 FPSes. But then, there are 5 Marios and 4 Zeldas. I don't begrudge some of the Mario games spots in the running, but there's a lot of genre overlap going on here.
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Niahak wrote:13 platformers from my count, 5 FPSes. But then, there are 5 Marios and 4 Zeldas. I don't begrudge some of the Mario games spots in the running, but there's a lot of genre overlap going on here.
Has the BGE typically been this way? Is this a smaller participating group than in the past? My view of TONe so far has pretty much been of Nintendo/indie fans (just my opinion, no judgement on it, a game's a game) from the comments and posts I've observed, though this might not be accurate.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Drauks wrote:
Niahak wrote:13 platformers from my count, 5 FPSes. But then, there are 5 Marios and 4 Zeldas. I don't begrudge some of the Mario games spots in the running, but there's a lot of genre overlap going on here.
Has the BGE typically been this way? Is this a smaller participating group than in the past? My view of TONe so far has pretty much been of Nintendo/indie fans (just my opinion, no judgement on it, a game's a game) from the comments and posts I've observed, though this might not be accurate.
TONe has deep, dark origins in a Nintendo-centric website, so there are a lot of Nintendo-only fans still kicking around. This year is actually a lot more balanced that previous years have been, if you look at the stats I posted in the other thread—more PC & multiplayer games, more shooters, etc.—it just happens to be at the expense of RPGs this year.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

^Interesting though that despite being less-Nintendo centric, that Pikmin actually made it into the top 32 for the first time.