OBJECTION! - BGE Grievances

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: OBJECTION! - BGE Grievances

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah I'd say the voting overall is the most balanced this year, is terms of game variety. Lots of Nintendo games showed up at the end, but there are a lot of classic Nintendo titles people love.

And even though there's still a lot of Nintendo love, it's interesting to see how the games have changed. You'd expect big titles like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask to make it through to the end, but they haven't. It even looks like Mario 64 might drop out this round. We're seeing games like Pikmin and Link's Awakening get further than some of the more well known titles.

The earlier rounds were full of PC and indie titles with a surprising amount of legs, a lot of them coming from the first couple rounds and making it into the top 128.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

To me it seems like a lot of nostalgia drives the winners. There aren't too many more modern games left, and some of them are being crushed in this round.
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

Jordan wrote:To me it seems like a lot of nostalgia drives the winners. There aren't too many more modern games left, and some of them are being crushed in this round.
This did start as the Virtual Console forums. Older games are well liked here.

I do vote on nostalgia a lot though.
lol hello
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Forscyvus wrote:
Jordan wrote:To me it seems like a lot of nostalgia drives the winners. There aren't too many more modern games left, and some of them are being crushed in this round.
This did start as the Virtual Console forums. Older games are well liked here.

I do vote on nostalgia a lot though.
I think some of that may be that an older game is more likely to have been played by more people...especially if it has a good reputation and was relatively available.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

games were just better back then
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I don't think it matters where you go, retro games will always fill up the top spots on a best game ever list. Like others have said, increased exposure and nostalgia will make people favour classic games. Almost everyone here has played a NES/SNES Mario, while only a few have played Mario 3D World.

There's also the argument that games were better back in the day, which for some franchises for some people, is true. A lot of people prefer earlier games in a given franchise before the series started making more modern changes/hit creative roadblocks.

Another factor, I think, is most of us are 20-40, which means we had more time for more games back in the 90's-early 2000's.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I don't think it matters where you go, retro games will always fill up the top spots on a best game ever list. Like others have said, increased exposure and nostalgia will make people favour classic games. Almost everyone here has played a NES/SNES Mario, while only a few have played Mario 3D World.

There's also the argument that games were better back in the day, which for some franchises for some people, is true. A lot of people prefer earlier games in a given franchise before the series started making more modern changes/hit creative roadblocks.

Another factor, I think, is most of us are 20-40, which means we had more time for more games back in the 90's-early 2000's.
Another factor is that one of the voting criteria can be influence, and games that come out before other games naturally have more of an opportunity there. Games that come out before many other games have even more of an opportunity!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

It saddens me that R-Type has stopped advancing though I'm pleasantly surprised with how far it did go. I really think that game is just about perfect and it holds up surprisingly well to this day.

I wonder if anyone in the world ever has been able to complete it (beat round 16). If so, I bet you could count them with your fingers :)

The levels flow so well from one to another whereas most shooters just throw one random theme at you after another. I'll never, ever forget beating it for my first time. Quite surreal. Elation. I felt like Luke must have felt when his photon torpedo actually went into the exhaust port. *gasp*
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

This latest round is actually really boring to me.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:This latest round is actually really boring to me.
Lots of people begin to feel this way around the end of the BGE. Usually underdogs gradually get eliminated and we end up with an increasingly predictable set of classic games.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming