Watching any good TV?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Watching any good TV?

Post by The Shoemaker »

I've been following The Big bang Theory this season because my family has been recording it, but I really don't know how they plan to stretch this show on for another 3 seasons. So far this season there have been a few big plot points (mostly carried over from the last season) but every time one of them gets interesting they throw it out the window in favour of sticking to their Big Bang formula.

Sheldon leaving in the previous season was resolved within the first 10 minutes of the season premeire, appearently change in the appartment wasn't as bad as where ever he went to. The four guys were going to rebuild the comic book store and become part owners but that was thrown aside by the end of the last episode. The only plot point that's sticking is Penny starting a new job but that doesn't really change anything.

The one plot point I do really like is how Stewart is living with Howards mom, that makes for a hilarious duo and Stewart has always been my favourite. Other than that the show has been kind of boring and predictable.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I started watching Under the Dome but...well, it's really pretty terrible so far.

I haven't read the source material but I have read numerous other King books with this theme (small town with dark secrets trapped together) done so much more stylishly and with a much more creepy supernatural hook that this seems so tame and formulaic with it's typical "problem of the week".

I don't think I'm going to bother with it any more unless anyone here can tell me if it gets any better.

I'm also watching the final season of Futurama (the proper series not the movies) which is, supposedly the last one ever.

I wasn't a fan of the first Comedy Central produced season as I think the show lost it's soul and included needlessly silly sex and violence subplots just because it now could.

This final season seems like more of a return to what made the original four series great with more charm and characters who have returned to being characters again instead of the silly parodies of themselves they had become.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I'm watching Gotham. I started a thread to discuss the show, but no one else seems to be watching it. It is pretty good actually.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Everyone needs to watch "Nuclear Meltdown Disaster", aired on Nova on July 29th (2015). This is gut-/heart-wrenching stuff, but an important and exceptional look at the Fukushima disasters of 2011. Essential viewing.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Mrs. K and I just finished watching the first season of the BBC show, Sherlock. Really enjoy it! The shows are 90 minutes long, and play out like a mini movie. 3 episodes per seasons at 3 seasons. The two main actors do a great job and I love how it spins the classic stories with a modern flare! Anyone else watch this?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

My girl and I have seen them all. She particularly likes them, I found them just OK. I was a sucker for the old ones, so perhaps that's tainted my expectations.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:Mrs. K and I just finished watching the first season of the BBC show, Sherlock. Really enjoy it! The shows are 90 minutes long, and play out like a mini movie. 3 episodes per seasons at 3 seasons. The two main actors do a great job and I love how it spins the classic stories with a modern flare! Anyone else watch this?
Like you, I've seen the first season. I liked them well enough, but I think I'm with Vic—they didn't really knock my socks off. I like some of the stylistic elements (music, the modern setting, Sherlock's stream-of-consciousness explanations). Cumberbatch is great, but I just don't really like the character all that much. And while Freeman's Watson is arguable the main character, he seems somehow under-utilized. I'm still open to watching the rest of the series, but it's not high on the priority list.

Apparently they're making a special episode that's actually set in Victorian times, featuring the same cast and crew. Kind of an interesting concept.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've been watching Rick and Morty a lot. It's the funniest cartoon I've seen since South Park.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I've been watching Rick and Morty a lot. It's the funniest cartoon I've seen since South Park.
Dan Harmon comedy? I'll have to check it out.

I've been watching Fresh Prince of Bell Air a bit recently, after all these years it's stilla great comedy. I like that it addresses a lot of real racial issues and still manages to be funny. I must have watched more of the newer episodes than the older ones, season one seems to be all new for me.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Audio Ace
Initiate

Post by Audio Ace »

Jordan wrote:I've been watching Rick and Morty a lot. It's the funniest cartoon I've seen since South Park.
Wubba lubba dub dub!!

Rick and Morty is really well made. They put so much into 22 minute episodes. Has to be one of my favourite animated shows of all time.

Sherlock is an amazing show aswell. Ended up bingeing it a while ago. The back and forth between Sherlock and Watson is wonderful and each episode is made so well while still including certain aspects of the books.

I'm trying to find another show to watch but can't find anything that interests me on Netflix. I just came off from watching season 2 of bojack horsemen. I might give game of thrones another chance.