Yoshi's Woolly World

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Yoshi's Woolly World

Post by The Shoemaker »

This game is adorable so far. Takes the concept from Epic Yarn and expands apon it in a lot of ways. Everything is fuzzy and soft and great. When I first heard about this game I thought it was a little odd that they were using the yarn aesthetic in a different game, but it surprisingly works really well with the Yoshi gameplay. Eggs are replaced with Yarn balls, which means eating the environment also produces yarn balls. You can use yarn balls to capture enemies (and add them to a bestiary), fill in platforms, collect items, ect. The new yarn mechanics give you a little more to do than in previous Yoshi games, which feels like a nice evolution. There's so much to collect as well, and when it comes to collecting the Wool balls in each level you're actually really motivated to do so because when you collect all 5 you knit a new Yoshi together to fill in your world and play as.

I'm only in world 2, but so far the game feels like a proper evolution of the Yoshi series, much more on par with the original Yoshi's island. What's nice though is you don't have a crying baby every time you get hit. The multiplayer is also a lot of fun, and makes it a little easier at times, and a little harder. The game's challenge itself is moderate so far, most of the fun comes from playing the levels themselves and collecting everything.

Amiibo work well in this game too. I think close to every Amiibo gives you a new Yoshi modeled after the specific Amiibo. All the Yoshi variants (SSB, SMB, Woolly) give you an extra Yoshi to play with during single player that mimics your every move, like the double cherry from Super Mario 3D World. It's a little disorienting at first, but I find it a fun, slightly challenging way to play through single player. It actually makes it feel a bit more like you're playing multiplayer. I usually just eat the Amiibo to keep as an extra egg, and throw it up into hard to reach places.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Humphries90

Re: Yoshi's Woolly World

Post by Humphries90 »

Really got a lot of love for this game. I said in my review that it's my favourite Yoshi game. It's gorgeous to look at, plays really well. Doesn't really do anything innovative, it just smoothes out some of the issues that plagued previous Yoshi games. Deserves to be in everyone's Wii U collection.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Humphries90 wrote:Really got a lot of love for this game. I said in my review that it's my favourite Yoshi game. It's gorgeous to look at, plays really well. Doesn't really do anything innovative, it just smoothes out some of the issues that plagued previous Yoshi games. Deserves to be in everyone's Wii U collection.
I agree completely. One of the big surprises with Wii U this year along with Splatoon and Mario Maker.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I just reached world 3 which appears to be the most adorable of them all. First level involved folding yarn cookies I had to manuever around and the second was a level designed around a child's mobile. I guess that's where the stage from Smash Bros. came from!

I've heard some criticism that the bosses in this game are a little lackluster. In a game like this, I really don't mind easy bosses. From playing with casual gamers, I find that bosses are usually the part they struggle with the most in platformers, and can be the most discouraging. I do think what the bosses lack in difficulty they make up for in visual flair. The first boss involves you pulling apart the yarn of Big Bert's pants and embarrassing him to win. It was such an adorable fight I couldn't help but smile the whole time, so I definitely appreciate the designers approaching the bosses in a more fun and humorous way.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

I don't think the problem was the ease, I think it's the repetition. At least it was for me. Repeating boss battles is one thing that will be a negative point in my reviews. Considering how creative Nintendo are it's strange to see them always fall into this hole.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Humphries90 wrote:I don't think the problem was the ease, I think it's the repetition. At least it was for me. Repeating boss battles is one thing that will be a negative point in my reviews. Considering how creative Nintendo are it's strange to see them always fall into this hole.
I haven't seen any repeating boss battles yet!

Nintendo does seem to really like repeating sections though. In every Zelda game the last thing you do before the final boss is fight all the initial bosses over again, even in Trifroce Heroes. Super Mario 64 and Galaxy you're slowly progressing the same fight each Bowser battle, Super Mario 3D World/Land repeating levels with slight differences...
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

Big fan of this game. This and Splatoon are the two best games on the Wii U this year. Can't wait for XCX to complete my triumvirate.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

squishy wrote:Big fan of this game. This and Splatoon are the two best games on the Wii U this year. Can't wait for XCX to complete my triumvirate.
I agree, those two games plus Mario Maker have made this my favourite year for Wii U. Xenoblade should add to it nicely.
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

I was highly disappointed my SMM. Felt like it was a $20 game masquerading as a full price one
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

squishy wrote:I was highly disappointed my SMM. Felt like it was a $20 game masquerading as a full price one
This is why I'm not buying it at $60