Saints Row

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Saints Row

Post by Kong Wen »

I completed Saints Row: The Third late last year and thought it was pretty good fun. I was holding out for the Game of the Century Edition of Saints Row IV, but it recently dropped to $13.50 on PSN so I decided to pick it up. Anyway, I just started last night and so far it seems like it's still on-stride.

Has anyone else played and enjoyed these games?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Saints Row

Post by SkyPikachu »

I played a lot of 1 when I had a 360 but never finished it. 2 was good but I didn't play it as much (Think I have it on Steam). I own 3 on PS3 and played about 12% of it and am meaning to get back to it.
DoctorAllosaurus

Post by DoctorAllosaurus »

I've played all of them except for the first one. SR2 is probably my favorite of the bunch, there was just so much to do and find in that game (avoid the pc port if you can, needs a lot of modding to actually run right).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

DoctorAllosaurus wrote:I've played all of them except for the first one. SR2 is probably my favorite of the bunch, there was just so much to do and find in that game (avoid the pc port if you can, needs a lot of modding to actually run right).
I think I have a PSN copy of SR2 from PS+ way back in the day. From the sounds of things, you think it holds up to the newer games in the series? I imagine it's pretty similar, overall.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
DoctorAllosaurus wrote:I've played all of them except for the first one. SR2 is probably my favorite of the bunch, there was just so much to do and find in that game (avoid the pc port if you can, needs a lot of modding to actually run right).
I think I have a PSN copy of SR2 from PS+ way back in the day. From the sounds of things, you think it holds up to the newer games in the series? I imagine it's pretty similar, overall.
3 was a huge change imo to 1 and 2.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:3 was a huge change imo to 1 and 2.
In terms of tone or gameplay? I guess both are pretty important to my enjoyment of 3 & 4...
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:3 was a huge change imo to 1 and 2.
In terms of tone or gameplay? I guess both are pretty important to my enjoyment of 3 & 4...
Both in 3 you pretty much controlled everything and can just go nuts with everything where as 1 and 2 are a bit more serious no dildos and you're more focused on taking territories from gangs. 3 and 4 seemed very hollywood.
DoctorAllosaurus

Post by DoctorAllosaurus »

My biggest problem with 3 was Steelport itself, It just didn't look as good as Stillwater because every district looks the same aside from a few key buildings. When you drove around in Saints Row 2 you could tell you were in a new district just by looking at the architecture. Character customization in 2 was a lot better also, but that's just me being nitpicky.

What I did like about 3 is they made the game control better and streamlined the gameplay so you could just run through the story if you really wanted to, in 2 you actually had to go play side missions to get enough rep to do a mission.

As far as tone goes Saints Row 2 was alot more serious but still wacky enough to keep you entertained, 3 is where the series just embraced the wackiness and amped it up to 100.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

DoctorAllosaurus wrote:My biggest problem with 3 was Steelport itself, It just didn't look as good as Stillwater because every district looks the same aside from a few key buildings.
This is even worse in SR4, not only because it's Steelport again, but because all of the decoration across the whole city is replaced with Zin stuff, and the whole world has a glitchy/simulation texture added and it's all red and samey looking.
DoctorAllosaurus wrote:What I did like about 3 is they made the game control better and streamlined the gameplay so you could just run through the story if you really wanted to, in 2 you actually had to go play side missions to get enough rep to do a mission.

As far as tone goes Saints Row 2 was alot more serious but still wacky enough to keep you entertained, 3 is where the series just embraced the wackiness and amped it up to 100.
I definitely like the wacky tone, but I also like that it's more grandiose than goofy. The whole intro set piece with the plane in SR3 is awesome and hilarious.

SR4 really plays like a walk down memory lane. Lots of references and allusions to the previous games. I feel like I'm missing a lot having not played them, but maybe it'll make it more interesting for me to go back now.

It's hard to say whether I prefer SR3 or SR4 at this point, but I think I'm leaning towards 3, just because there was a lot more variety in the missions.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

Just started playing 3. It's an odd thing but the intro did make me laugh. I haven't played a game like this in a long time. I had fun just setting up a character for the SR4 demo.