Severed

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Severed

Post by Kong Wen »

I thought we had a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I just posted about it in a Guacamelee! thread or something...

Anyway, Severed is starting to look really good! They've promised it's more than just a casual screen-swiping slashing game. You can use enemies' body parts to upgrade your character. There are also dungeons and puzzles, and it'll include some backtracking through the world as you learn to surpass certain obstacles.

They'll be showing more at PlayStation Experience this weekend. Nice to see Vita getting some more love from quality indies.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Severed

Post by Kong Wen »

Launching on PS Vita on 26 April!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This launched on iOS today, and it'll be coming to Wii U and 3DS later this summer. Good news for everyone who'll finally have a chance to play this great game. I'm moving this to Misc. Gaming to reflect its newly-multiplatform status.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Yo, KW, so is this a game that *should* be played on Vita, or do you think it will be just as fun on either of the new platforms? Always looking for an excuse to pull out the Vita and have been meaning to get around to this game, but if this could be executed better on one of the other two platforms, I may spring for it on those. What do you think?
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Claytone wrote:Yo, KW, so is this a game that *should* be played on Vita, or do you think it will be just as fun on either of the new platforms? Always looking for an excuse to pull out the Vita and have been meaning to get around to this game, but if this could be executed better on one of the other two platforms, I may spring for it on those. What do you think?
This was custom-built for Vita and I don't see the other platforms improving on it. I'd say the WiiU version will end up being the other preferred version, but between iOS and 3DS it's probably a wash. iOS lacks buttons for easier navigation, 3DS has a less ideal screen for swiping. I'm also going to assume the 3DS won't be able to maintain 60FPS.

Shorter answer is: whatever platform you want, just make sure you get the game. It's wonderful.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Yo, KW, so is this a game that *should* be played on Vita, or do you think it will be just as fun on either of the new platforms? Always looking for an excuse to pull out the Vita and have been meaning to get around to this game, but if this could be executed better on one of the other two platforms, I may spring for it on those. What do you think?
I don't think it'll be executed better on the other platforms, no, and since you have access to all of them, I'd recommend Vita over the others. Like Vic hinted at, iOS lacks buttons for easier navigation (I use the Vita's left stick to move and I generally hate those virtual d-pads on iOS), and I feel like swiping on the wiiPad and 3DS would do a number on their screens.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: I don't think it'll be executed better on the other platforms, no, and since you have access to all of them, I'd recommend Vita over the others. Like Vic hinted at, iOS lacks buttons for easier navigation (I use the Vita's left stick to move and I generally hate those virtual d-pads on iOS), and I feel like swiping on the wiiPad and 3DS would do a number on their screens.
Good to know! Getting this game on Vita will be at the top of list once I clean out my backlog a bit more. :)
You got BOOST power!
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

All righty, Kong, I've started up this game. Hope it's good! Whether you want to or not, you'll surely hear my thoughts on the matter. :D
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:All righty, Kong, I've started up this game. Hope it's good! Whether you want to or not, you'll surely hear my thoughts on the matter. :D
It's unquestionably good. Whether or not you enjoy it is another story. :)
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I've been playing the 3DS version and have kinda mixed feelings on this game.

I love the art-direction and narrative style. The enviroments have a lot of cool details.
The combat is solid for what it is, can get a bit stressful when sandwiched between monsters.
I would have liked a better skill system though since most of the perks are just bland and boring. Growth doesn't feel all that rewarding.

I don't like the level design. Like e.g. you come past a closed gate, walk a lengthy path and fight the local monsters, pull a lever to open the gate... and then you have to walk back the entire path without anything of interest happening as all the monsters are already dead. It's just feels like a waste of time. There are some level design choices that work in a Metroidvania, like locked paths that can only be opened with abilities you acquire later, but they don't work well in a dungeon crawler like this one. Largely because the rewards for unlocking them aren't all that exciting (e.g. pickups for more HP) and the idea of going back into the first dungeon with the monsters cleared out just isn't very fun or cool.
On the positive side, I like the smashable pots and the secret buttons in the enviroment.

The framerate on the 3ds is bit iffy btw.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!