Top 32: 14/16 - Mario vs. Mario

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

Which game should advance to the Round of 16?

Poll ended at 10 Dec 2015 21:31

73 - Super Mario Bros. - 1985 - NES
52%
100 - Super Mario 64 - 1996 - N64
48%

Total votes: 25

This Old Neon
Administrator

Top 32: 14/16 - Mario vs. Mario

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project Top 32 Brackets!

You can vote for 1 game in this bracket. Vote carefully—you can't change your vote after submitting it. The top game at the end of the week will advance to the Round of 16.

73 - Super Mario Bros. - 1985 - NES
100 - Super Mario 64 - 1996 - N64

You are encouraged to discuss your choice and your reasons for selecting the game you did.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Top 32: 14/16 - Mario vs. Mario

Post by The Shoemaker »

I don't think I would pick Super Mario Bros over any of the main line Mario titles.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I actually picked super mario bros. here over 64. I have two reasons for this. The first reason is that 64 was kind of an unpolished game in certain ways. There were a lot of goofy ass glitches. The second reason is that I preferred Super Mario Bros. structure to the "collectathon" type of game that 64 represented. There are some people who swear by 64's non-linearity and poo-poo all the other Marios, but I personally found the non-linearity to be a mixed bag. There were times that I was genuinely frustrated at being unable to find some star here or there. Both are 10/10 games in my book though.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I actually picked super mario bros. here over 64. I have two reasons for this. The first reason is that 64 was kind of an unpolished game in certain ways. There were a lot of goofy ass glitches. The second reason is that I preferred Super Mario Bros. structure to the "collectathon" type of game that 64 represented. There are some people who swear by 64's non-linearity and poo-poo all the other Marios, but I personally found the non-linearity to be a mixed bag. There were times that I was genuinely frustrated at being unable to find some star here or there. Both are 10/10 games in my book though.
I don't think Mario 64 is the pinnacle of the series, but I find the structure of Super Mario Bros less appealing. The main thing is that I'm not really into arcade like experiences so I don't like that there's no way to save the game. That a game over results in going back to the beginning.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Two childhood favourites, I guess I'll go with 64 since I have more fond memories of playing it when i was younger. Love both game though.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Abstaining. I always found the flying controls in 64 atrocious (perhaps it's just me) and I accept that Super Mario Bros has been trumped so many times by so many games as a quality platformer since then that I can't sing about it any more.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

Mario's first 3D outing is still among his best.
SMB, while important has been overshadowed many times over.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Jordan wrote:I actually picked super mario bros. here over 64. I have two reasons for this. The first reason is that 64 was kind of an unpolished game in certain ways. There were a lot of goofy ass glitches. The second reason is that I preferred Super Mario Bros. structure to the "collectathon" type of game that 64 represented. There are some people who swear by 64's non-linearity and poo-poo all the other Marios, but I personally found the non-linearity to be a mixed bag. There were times that I was genuinely frustrated at being unable to find some star here or there. Both are 10/10 games in my book though.
I don't think Mario 64 is the pinnacle of the series, but I find the structure of Super Mario Bros less appealing. The main thing is that I'm not really into arcade like experiences so I don't like that there's no way to save the game. That a game over results in going back to the beginning.
If you hold A (or B?) when you press Start at the opening screen after a game over, it will jump you to World X-1, where X is the world where you game over'd. Just for what it's worth.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Turai wrote:Mario's first 3D outing is still among his best.
SMB, while important has been overshadowed many times over.
SM64, while important has been overshadowed many times over.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Which 3D Mario do you rate better than 64 Kong?