Round of 16: Clash of the Cartoons

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

Which game should advance to the Top 8 Quarterfinals?

Poll ended at 17 Dec 2015 21:53

23 - Super Mario Galaxy - 2007 - Wii
46%
26 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker [HD] - 2002 - GCN/Wii U
54%

Total votes: 26

This Old Neon
Administrator

Round of 16: Clash of the Cartoons

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project's Round of 16!

You can vote for 1 game in this bracket. Vote carefully—you can't change your vote after submitting it. The top game at the end of the week will advance to the Top 8 Quarterfinals.

23 - Super Mario Galaxy - 2007 - Wii
26 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker [HD] - 2002 - GCN/Wii U

You are encouraged to discuss your choice and your reasons for selecting the game you did.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Round of 16: Clash of the Cartoons

Post by The Shoemaker »

One of the best Zelda's versus one of the best Mario's.

I'm sticking with Wind Waker. Some people didn't like the Great Sea, but I thought it really heightened the sense of exploration and adventure. The sailing speed was fixed in the remake so I'm not going to dock it for that, but they could have made sailing combat more interesting. Other than that I loved going on the little sail boat and discovering new islands. After second dungeon or so the game really opened up and let you go where ever you wanted. It took a lot of good things that started in OOT and MM and expanded apon them without feeling like it was trying to be those games.

The combat in general was and probably still is the series best. The A counter move works very well, and the musical timing makes every hit feel impactful. I also felt like each item had a useful effect in combat, and were easy to use. Bow and Arrow for range, grapple hook for stealing items, boomerang to stun, bombs to distract and run, ect. The Leaf itself was also one of the best new items added to the series. It gave you a longer jump to explore more, tied into the use of the Wind Waker, and pushed things away with a gust of wind. And it looks like it's coming back in the new Zelda as the Sailcloth.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Abstaining.
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

The Shoemaker wrote:One of the best Zelda's versus one of the best Mario's.

I'm sticking with Wind Waker. Some people didn't like the Great Sea, but I thought it really heightened the sense of exploration and adventure. The sailing speed was fixed in the remake so I'm not going to dock it for that, but they could have made sailing combat more interesting. Other than that I loved going on the little sail boat and discovering new islands. After second dungeon or so the game really opened up and let you go where ever you wanted. It took a lot of good things that started in OOT and MM and expanded apon them without feeling like it was trying to be those games.

The combat in general was and probably still is the series best. The A counter move works very well, and the musical timing makes every hit feel impactful. I also felt like each item had a useful effect in combat, and were easy to use. Bow and Arrow for range, grapple hook for stealing items, boomerang to stun, bombs to distract and run, ect. The Leaf itself was also one of the best new items added to the series. It gave you a longer jump to explore more, tied into the use of the Wind Waker, and pushed things away with a gust of wind. And it looks like it's coming back in the new Zelda as the Sailcloth.
I agree on all counts, but I think SMG is just more video games than WW
lol hello
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:Abstaining.
Also abstaining.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I liked Super Mario Galaxy 2 better than Wind Waker. From the little of Super Mario Galaxy I've played it's only a downgrade from 2 thus I voted Wind Waker.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

The poll has a tie of 6, but I see 3 people voted for Super Mario Galaxy and 2 people have voted for Wind Waker. What's going on?
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

TheGreatNads wrote:The poll has a tie of 6, but I see 3 people voted for Super Mario Galaxy and 2 people have voted for Wind Waker. What's going on?
Kong manipulates the votes in order to make more close matches.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:The poll has a tie of 6, but I see 3 people voted for Super Mario Galaxy and 2 people have voted for Wind Waker. What's going on?
I forgot to set the voting to public in this thread until after a few people had already voted. So the pre-public votes remained hidden.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I voted for Galaxy privately (but now publicly lol). Not as good as Sunshine but loads better than any Zelda game.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.