Star Ocean: The Second Story R

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Niahak

Star Ocean: The Second Story R

Post by Niahak »

I know there's a fair bit of excitement for this one here. I have many fond memories of playing the original version of this one in college, and more of watching my roommate break the game in half via crafting.

I played through the demo, and was excited enough by it to preorder the game on Switch. Really like the aesthetic that reuses the original sprites (a strong point), the voices are good to great, the arranged music is good (but I prefer the original tracks, so having the option is great) and the translation captures much of the original's feel while making light revisions for the better.

I've only played the full version about 45 minutes this morning, most of that time spent investing in passive skills and crafting.
Character recruitment / mechanic spoilers
I discovered Claude doesn't have the Nimble Fingers talent, and I'd rather not restart for it, so I'll probably be light on the pickpocketing. I doubt I'll work towards the secret bonus item early on, since unlocking the talent seems extremely unlikely.
I rejected Celine at the end of the demo, because I'll be getting Leon and it makes the early game just a touch tougher. Probably should've recruited her just for easier item creation early on...
Going to recruit Opera over Ashton. I really like both, so it's very unfortunate. But not as unfortunate as Ashton.