Shovel Knight

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Shovel Knight

Post by Kong Wen »

Shovel Knight is coming to various eShops and Steam this week, and then the developers have said they'll look into other platforms depending on how it fares. Since the Steam version is undoubtedly going to sell really well, I have high hopes for it.

Here's an article that explains in quite a bit of detail the various ways the developers tried to stay true to NES design and aesthetic, as well as examples of when they had to mindfully depart from them.

I don't know about you, but the article gives me confidence that this game will be the real deal and not just another hackneyed pixel-art throwback.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
evildevil97
Adept

Re: Shovel Knight

Post by evildevil97 »

It's not often I actively look forward to indy games, but Shovel Knight has been on my radar for quite awhile. Gonna grab me the Wii U version tomorrow.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

This was actually the game I bought a 3DS for, something about playing it on the handheld "small" 3DS XL screen was very appealing to me.

I enjoyed this article, the juxtaposition between the developer's technical in-depth knowledge of the history of video games and the priorities of developing his own game made for a good read.

It's interesting how game developers often write the most engaging pieces about video games, rather than actual game journalists.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

I bought the game from the developers site, you get a Steam key and a DRM free version for $15, which is quite a bit cheaper for us Swedes than the 15 euro cost on Steam.

I found the game to control really nicely with the Wii classic controller.

A funny moment so far was when I saw a bubble going upwards, exactly like the ones on the Mega Man 9 Splash woman level, and of course I tried to jump on it and got damaged in the process.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Game looks good, but I'll have to wait for it to be release here in EU. Don't know yet if I'll get the Wii U or 3DS version...
Grt. Merlin

neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

And don't forget the awesome soundtrack.
Both releases, the OST and the Arranged ST, are "name your price", which means you can grab them for free.

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-k ... soundtrack
http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/strike-t ... t-arranged
slangman
Beginner

Post by slangman »

This game has piqued my interest. Strongly considering buying a Wii U next month, so might but it then, thats if it gets released in EU, by then.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'll have to give that article a read, but I'm really enjoying the game so far. It borrows elements from a lot of great games but manages to be its own at the same time.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Was gonna get this yesterday for the 3DS, but it was half a dollar more than I had the funds for. $15 is quite a lot for an e-shop game! I hope it sells well there.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Hah, a funny moment where the games that Shovel Knight pays heritage to had me fooled.

The green platforms on this level move up and down, and there was a ledge at the top of the screen. I thought it was a clear reference to Super Mario 1-2, where you access the warp room by jumping on similar moving platform. It was not, and I fell down the pit.
Last edited by Jelly on 29 Jun 2014 12:39, edited 1 time in total.