Shovel Knight

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Shovel Knight

Post by SkyPikachu »

Jelly wrote:Hah, a funny moment where the games Shovel Knight pays heritage had me fooled.

The green platforms on this level move up and down, and there was a ledge at the top of the screen. I thought it was a clear reference to Super Mario 1-2, where you access the warp room by jumping on similar moving platform. It was not, and I fell down the pit.
Nice find. Shame it didn't reward you.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I ended up springing for this game full-price on Steam last night. I'll get a chance to play some this afternoon, so I'll post impressions then.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

I just remembered how bad the 360 controller is for 2D games.

I'll have to see if I can get the PS3 controller to work with my PC, or buy another controller.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

link64 wrote:I just remembered how bad the 360 controller is for 2D games.

I'll have to see if I can get the PS3 controller to work with my PC, or buy another controller.
I'm pretty sure it's possible with a driver download. Heck, I should look into whether I can get a PS4 controller working with my PC, that would be awesome!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

pdSlooper wrote:Was gonna get this yesterday for the 3DS, but it was half a dollar more than I had the funds for. $15 is quite a lot for an e-shop game! I hope it sells well there.
It especially adds up when you buy both the 3DS & Wii U versions ($32 CAD for them; $16 CAD for one). I wish Nintendo had some sort of cross-buy (or buy one, get the other half+ off).

In terms of the soundtrack though, it's awesome! Virt always does great soundtracks.
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

Finished the game and I really enjoyed it, However I have two small problems.

1. To short even for a budget title.

2. The game is way to easy for this sort of genre, I wasn't expecting ghouls n ghosts, but all of the bosses in this game are push overs.

Hopefully New Game Plus will fix those problems.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

link64 wrote:Finished the game and I really enjoyed it, However I have two small problems.

1. To short even for a budget title.

2. The game is way to easy for this sort of genre, I wasn't expecting ghouls n ghosts, but all of the bosses in this game are push overs.

Hopefully New Game Plus will fix those problems.
Yeah, I personally believe this should have been a bit tougher...
Spoiler
(you have unlimited lives practically by temporarily losing gold, but getting it back when you go to where you ended up the previous time).
Of course, it's what most games are these days: making it easy for all kinds of players to beat these games, than it was way back then...

But as we've said, it's an enjoyable game, with awesome soundtracks.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I think the difficulty is fine, it is trying to appeal to more than one audience. I`m not the best at old school games but I`ve beaten all the old Mario`s and a few Mega Man`s here and there and I find this game to be adequately difficult. I die quite a few times on each level though it is getting a tad easier now with all the health upgrades. I think I`m half way through and spent close to 3 hours on it, seems to be an okay length but for $16 I`m sure some will be disappointed. But of course replayability is key with these old school games.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Took me about ten hours to beat the main campaign. Really fun. New Game Plus is kicking my ass, though. It is definitely the kind of game that can warrant multiple playthroughs.
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

More like Shovelware Knight

BUT SERIOUSLY I'll be picking this up probably for Wii U sometime in the coming months when I feel the need to jump and slash.
lol hello