Shovel Knight

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Shovel Knight

Post by Kong Wen »

They announced at PSX today that Shovel Knight will be coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita, with Kratos making an appearance as a boss!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:They announced at PSX today that Shovel Knight will be coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita, with Kratos making an appearance as a boss!
That's pretty neat!

They also said recently that the game has sold over 300 000, hopefully these new consoles, and the buzz from winning best indie game, bump it up a bit more.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

It deserves all the praise it gets. Might double dip for Playstation. Haven't decided yet.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:They announced at PSX today that Shovel Knight will be coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita, with Kratos making an appearance as a boss!
If Kratos is appearing on PlayStation systems version of Shovel Knight, then Bowser should make an appearance on Nintendo systems...
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I'm late to the Shovel Knight table. I'm 5 knights in and enjoying it so far. It's not as hard as I was afraid it'd be. Really, it's not exactly what I'd call hard -- the challenges so far don't really take that long to master. It does feel pretty intense, though. I'll play a level and have to put the game down for something else. It's been a long time since I played a game like that. It feels a little weird.

Also, this thread needs more love for the Troupple King.

Reminds me of the Applefish from Fantasy Life.
The Shoemaker wrote:Has anyone messed around with the 300 cheat codes this game has? I used a few last night; one of them makes you 4X bigger which makes you crop through all the environments, another can increase your jump or make it slow-mo, increase your speed, complete levels for you, start off in specific armor, always have the underwater animation, ect. The most popular right now seems to be the Butt cheat code: It replaces most names and important words in the story with "Butt".
I had no idea these existed and I WILL make use of that last mentioned code.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

pdSlooper wrote:I'm late to the Shovel Knight table. I'm 5 knights in and enjoying it so far. It's not as hard as I was afraid it'd be. Really, it's not exactly what I'd call hard -- the challenges so far don't really take that long to master. It does feel pretty intense, though. I'll play a level and have to put the game down for something else. It's been a long time since I played a game like that. It feels a little weird.

Also, this thread needs more love for the Troupple King.

Reminds me of the Applefish from Fantasy Life.
The Shoemaker wrote:Has anyone messed around with the 300 cheat codes this game has? I used a few last night; one of them makes you 4X bigger which makes you crop through all the environments, another can increase your jump or make it slow-mo, increase your speed, complete levels for you, start off in specific armor, always have the underwater animation, ect. The most popular right now seems to be the Butt cheat code: It replaces most names and important words in the story with "Butt".
I had no idea these existed and I WILL make use of that last mentioned code.
I think it has a great modern day difficulty. Just enough challenge to feel retro, but not so hard as to give up on it. Just a satisfying difficulty.

I love how the game forces you to watch 30 seconds of the Troupple King dancing, all to get some health potion.

By the way, Yatch Club has mentioned possible Nintendo exclusive support like the other consoles have recieved, and that they just finished the Plague of Shadows DLC.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

pdSlooper wrote:Also, this thread needs more love for the Troupple King.
As you wish.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Kong Wen wrote:Image
OMG, IT PLAYS MUSIC!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Interesting figure about the sales of Shovel Knight

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/24357 ... f#comments

50% of its sales have come from Nintendo platforms. 30% from 3DS, which is about on par with it's sales through Steam (32%). Nice to see this game fitting right at home with Nintendo audiences, especially considering how much homage it has towards the NES era of games.

I've also been playing the Plague Knight DLC here and there. The little scenarios are funny, between Plague Knight confronting the other villians and running into Shovel Knight himself :lol: The gameplay is a little more nuanced, so it's a fun new character to play as. I also like finding the relics in each area and regarding them as "junk" :lol:
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

I'm surprised it's sold so well on 3DS, considering how stingy some of the players are. It's one of the costlier games at $15, and I saw someone complaining just the other day about a $6 price point for Picross e6.

I haven't started the DLC yet. My Shovel Knight enthusiasm has had time to cool down, and it's not the kind of game I can jump in and out of easily.

[edit] I guess "30%" isn't necessarily a lot, if the overall sales weren't good, but I thought I read somewhere that they were.