Banner Saga

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Banner Saga

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Here's a short bit on the porting process: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2638 ... nsoles.php

As for the game:
  • Combat is hard. I suggest playing it on a lower difficulty, not because the combat is easier, but because the characters recover from injuries faster.
  • The coolest choices in the game aren't in dialog trees.
  • Characters will die or vanish. After beating the game I realized that I let a character die before I could recruit him. Another vanished due to a choice and another choice let to me losing a character (and funny enough, the same choice would have killed the character I missed earlier)
  • The further you get, the more you have to worry about provisions.
I don't even remember that zooming was a thing. Overall, it's a beautiful game.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:I don't even remember that zooming was a thing. Overall, it's a beautiful game.
I've found it rather unnecessary so far.
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:The coolest choices in the game aren't in dialog trees. [...] Characters will die or vanish. After beating the game I realized that I let a character die before I could recruit him. Another vanished due to a choice and another choice let to me losing a character
Yeah, this isn't the kind of game you can try to play "correctly" to make sure you get/see everything. You pretty much just have to commit to your choices and see the game through to its conclusion. This may be part of the reason for the relatively short length that Forscyvus lamented: there's not as much of an impediment to replaying the game if you want to see things happen in different ways.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kong Wen wrote: This may be part of the reason for the relatively short length that Forscyvus lamented: there's not as much of an impediment to replaying the game if you want to see things happen in different ways.
I found the length to be pretty optimal.
While the combat is ok, it's not varied enough to carry the game any longer than that.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming