Ascension (card game)

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Ascension (card game)

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Who's still playing this game (physical or digital)?

As for the digital version: just read the Kickstarter Ascension Online isn't going to be released. Playdek will get their license back and is working on a Android version of the game that should be released later this summer. A PC version is planned as well, but will take more time. For me, I hope that includes a Mac version and purchased will be available crossplatform (as well as gameplay).
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Ascension (card game)

Post by VictorViper »

I don't have a supported platform for the digital version of the game, but I do have all of the sets released so far (I think the new set is still on limited release at trade shows, etc.). It's been a little while since we've played thanks to a gorgeous, dry spring, but it remains my most played board/card game.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

Yeah I like Ascension because of all the deckbuilder games, it's the one that seems to most actively antagonize the other players. I always felt that when playing Dominion or Thunderstone we were just racing, but in Ascension we're competing.
lol hello
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Rise of Vigil was recently released for iOS. Haven't heard about the Android version of Ascension, but I guess they'll promote it when it's released. For those interested, wait for the sale that will probably happen (for Android that is).

Anyone familiar with RoV? What decks and/or prom. packs make a good combination with RoV (only prior releases!)?
Grt. Merlin

Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

I've been playing this game lately. Been good fun so far. I just got the bundle pack, too, so now I'm only missing the latest expansion and Promo #4. Been messing around and it seems like it'll really increase the longevity of this game.

Anyone want to try an online game? I'm available from 6:30-11:00 PM EST this week.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Asynchronous play (preferably 28 days) is the most relaxed online play setting. You can challenge me anytime! What's your Playdek name?
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just read Ascension is available for Android now. Possibly not for all Android devices, but I don't know the details.

[edit]
Here's a link for Google Play Store: Ascension: Chronicles of the Godslayer - PlayDek
[/edit]
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just read on fb: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer coming to Vita

Wonder if it's also crossplay. If so, who's up for a game? :)
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I caught the Vita news yesterday too and I'm thrilled about it. Doubt it's crossplay given it'll inevitably use touch controls exclusively, but it would sure be nice (and certainly expand the potential audience in a big way).

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

We just grabbed the latest large box expansion, Realms Unraveled. My local shop has been getting promo cards included with their first orders, too, so I landed the "eye of potential", which will likely remain unplayed in its sleeve like all the other ones we've collected over the last few years (anal retentive).

Anyway, I'm not even totally sure what the main gameplay gimmick is for this expansion, but it appears to expand on the transformation mechanic from the last two outings. We have been doing tech-free Tuesdays where we play board games and listen to music, but I'll be hard-pressed to keep from cracking the box open for a few rounds tonight...

...which my girl will invariably win.

[EDIT] I just went through the rulebook and the new features sound AWESOME. A quick highlight to this expansion's gameplay:

- Transformation cards still exist, and there are FIFTY of them*
- However, treasure cards are not present.**
- Other previously used additions like soul gems and energy are not present.
- Multi-Unite is a new card feature that rewards a single-faction focus. Cards with a multi-unite ability trigger on ALL cards played that round from the same faction (i.e. 3x Lifebound)
- Multi-Faction cards are special heroes or constructs that belong to two factions at once (i.e. Void + Mechana), which means, as in the example, the card would be affected by cards and effects that target Void, Mechana, or both!

* Not yet clear if 50 Transformation cards means 25 total (I'm assuming 25)
** Not sure yet how transformations are handled in the absence of treasure

Anyway, it looks like they had the aim to simplify the mechanics a little (those on the app version won't have noticed, but soul gems, energy and treasure, while awesome additions, could get quite unwieldy late game), while continuing to hone the game and present deeper, more varied options to mitigate the swingy nature of the game. Without having put it into practice yet, I'll at least say this is probably the most promising release yet.