Ascension (card game)

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Ascension (card game)

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Haven't heard about a digital release of a new set after the latest RoV deck. Hope they'll get on to it soon.
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Haven't heard about a digital release of a new set after the latest RoV deck. Hope they'll get on to it soon.
Well, I have to assume it's imminent (though there was a pretty lengthy delay between Storm of Souls and Immortal Heroes). Rise of Vigil is a nice set, but it really takes off when paired with Darkness unleashed. This is largely thanks to the introduction of transforming cards, but the addition of "dark" energy shards can't be discounted - they act identically to normal energy, but allow you to banish a card from your hand or discard pile in addition to their usual benefits. Nice.

As for Realms Unraveled, I've played about a dozen games (2P only) and I'm already prepared to call this the best iteration thus far. To me, this expansion renders Chronicle of the Godslayer obsolete as a standalone game, becoming the de facto base set. [EDIT] It should be noted that Realms Unraveled actually includes a scant few cards from Chronicle of the Godslayer. Names and skills are identical, but they've been given all new art. I'm totally cool with this. The cards work with the set and I'd much prefer they do this (within reason, as is done here) than wind up with a bunch of different cards that do the same damn thing.

It's not without flaws, however. There is no way to destroy constructs, which isn't usually a big deal, but can become an impossible battle if you or an opponent draws lucky while focusing on an all-mechana build. There are no methods of stealing cards or honour, or forcing discards, either. Ascension has always been more of a race than a battle, but losing those player interactions means losing options to slow your opponent(s) down, as well.

Fate cards, present since the second expansion (first small box), are also absent, and we haven't seen Event cards since Immortal Heroes three releases ago. These are cards you could quite easily just mix in from other sets, however, with fate cards in particular being a very simple enhancement to the game without introducing other cards for the center row. Mind you, that's a luxury only afforded to those with the actual cards... unless Playdek introduces a patch to allow card-by-card setbuilding!

Gripes aside, this set still manages the feat of being both the most streamlined and strategically deep expansion so far. It makes me curious about what Stone Blade has in the works for the next small set. Part of me hopes they continue to push forward with new and synergistic gameplay mechanisms, but only part. The game is so damn good as it is, I'd be just as happy if they reintroduced some or all of the missing bits mentioned above, with new cards made to suit Realms Unraveled.

Really top notch stuff, and if any of you guys end up grabbing a physical copy some day, this would be my recommendation. That said, there is probably a lot to be said for starting from the beginning and really experiencing the evolution of the game...
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Did not see an announcement, but Ascension got an update on iOS (don't know about the Android version). This update includes Darkness Unleashed, just a month after RoV. Someone already reported a bug with one of the cards, so it could have been released too hastely.

[edit]
Just read on fb it's also released on the Android version.
[/edit]
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Ascension is now also available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/320430

Android and iOS are already cross-platform playable with a PlayDek account, so I assume this will be the same for the Steam version. Extension packs aren't cross-buy, they're tide to the store of the games system. One can continue a game with extensions on a system that doesn't have them though.

[edit]
Just checked the Steam store. $/€ 9.99 complete with 5 expansions, windows only (so far). Thought there would be a free version like on iOS and Android, but it's a full game.
[/edit]
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Realms Unraveled has been released for iOS and Android.

Played some offline games with this expansion, still have to get used to the new options and new graphics. Haven't tried any combinations with other decks.
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

9th set has been announced for Q4: Dreamscape:
Dreamscape will be the ninth stand-alone set for Stone Blade’s signature product. The expansion introduces a number of new mechanics to the game, including a new resource called “Insight,” used to gain cards from a “Dream Deck”, and a new type of card called “Visions.”
Dawn of Champions was their latest release, but hasn't been released digitally yet. Can't tell if DoC is a small set that adds to RoV. Does anyone know? (Vic?)
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

DoC is a large set, but that's about all I know so far. A little odd considering the trend of large/small, large/small. I suspect they were happy with the prior release as-is. It was pretty damn near perfect.

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just downloaded an update that has DoC in it. Will take some time to get used to it.
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

The physical version of Ascension recently got the Dreamscape package, anyone got it?

As for the digital version, today a new update (at least on iOS) was available with Promo Pack 5. It contains Portal and related cards that's a digital only release. A Portal card can be used for runes and will 'summon' a random card from any Ascension pack that will be added to your deck. If I'm correct, the random card is of equal or higher rune cost.
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

We've fallen behind in the physical releases (still don't have DoC). And speaking of which, guess that means we can finally play that set with each other? I'll send an invite. ;)