Fire Emblem Fates

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Fire Emblem Fates

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:Oh, I meant to get back to you more legitimately about this. Is this common in Canada? Nintendo isn't exactly lights out in the States in terms of stock and availability, so I was wondering how things were up there. Sorry you weren't able to secure a copy. :\
Nope, it's not common at all. I believe Nintendo ran afoul of the old "we didn't have as many CEs as we thought we did" so some pre-orders even got cancelled, both in Canada and the US. CEs are usually pretty available, but I didn't even see this one up on any Canadian sites until after I heard it was sold out, so I think it's more an issue of this game than in general.
I see. Well, that's unfortunate. I certainly would have been SOL if my friend hadn't preordered an extra copy. He does this neurotically with games he really wants. In the case that one of his preorders gets cancelled, he can fall back on the other as a contingency.

On a related note, in the States, I find that (at least with Nintendo), most new releases that are any good are difficult to find at retail unless you preorder. There's the argument that this is done intentionally to drive preorders and digital sales. That actually seems reasonably likely to me, but then maybe it's a little tin foil hatty, I dunno.
You got BOOST power!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I don't think that's conspiratorial personally. I think that it's actually legitimate. Considering the consistency with which it has happened, I think it's actually pretty likely as well.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:CEs are usually pretty available, but I didn't even see this one up on any Canadian sites until after I heard it was sold out, so I think it's more an issue of this game than in general.
On a related note, in the States, I find that (at least with Nintendo), most new releases that are any good are difficult to find at retail unless you preorder.
Yep, to clarify, it was completely sold-out / unavailable before it was even available for pre-order anywhere I looked. I'll usually pre-order any game I really want to make sure I get a good sealed copy of, and wait for the rest either digitally or on sale (I pre-ordered the non-CE edition of this game). But oh well.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I actually have something to say about this game now! I've finally finished the prologue, and I'm quite impressed by what Fire Emblem has become, having come from Shadow Dragon. I also finished the first chapter of Birthright proper. It was fine. The castle system seems like it will eventually be interesting. Looking forward to diving deeper into this game.
Kong Wen wrote: Yep, to clarify, it was completely sold-out / unavailable before it was even available for pre-order anywhere I looked. I'll usually pre-order any game I really want to make sure I get a good sealed copy of, and wait for the rest either digitally or on sale (I pre-ordered the non-CE edition of this game). But oh well.
Oh, I know! I wasn't accusing you of being unprepared, I was just commenting on another, tangentially related industry trend.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Claytone wrote:I actually have something to say about this game now! I've finally finished the prologue, and I'm quite impressed by what Fire Emblem has become, having come from Shadow Dragon. I also finished the first chapter of Birthright proper. It was fine. The castle system seems like it will eventually be interesting. Looking forward to diving deeper into this game.
Kong Wen wrote: Yep, to clarify, it was completely sold-out / unavailable before it was even available for pre-order anywhere I looked. I'll usually pre-order any game I really want to make sure I get a good sealed copy of, and wait for the rest either digitally or on sale (I pre-ordered the non-CE edition of this game). But oh well.
Oh, I know! I wasn't accusing you of being unprepared, I was just commenting on another, tangentially related industry trend.
Good to hear! Shadow dragon was the simplest of all the games so it must be interesting seeing all the mechanics now.

I've been playing a bit more lately, focusing on grabbing on the kids. I like Shiro, if he could use Ryoma's sword he would be even better than him, and Ryoma is already a pretty solid character. I also like the Tharja look a like, Hayato's daughter. Orochi died on me early on so I haven't really had a Mage up until now. She's pretty decent, she doesn't have Hayato's awesome defence but her magic stat is through the roof with decent speed and skill. The tome's are also really good for adding defence and speed stats, and since I'm only using one Mage I'm able to forge all excess tome's to make them better.

I've been messing around with different castles and grabbing lots of skills. I really love duelist blow which is a samurai skill - gives you avoid + 30 when you initiate a battle. My corrin has that skill as well as lance breaker which adds hit/avoid + 50 against lance users... So lances don't stand a chance.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Tharja is great. I loved her in Awakening and I like her in this game too. in fact, I married her in my Birthright playthrough.

My Tharja is a beast. I had Mozu as her mother and passed down aptitude to her/got her early on. I classed her into a basara and she has good stats in every single category. In fact, if I pair her with my protag, she has the best defense of anybody in my team (over 30 at a point in the game where 20-25 is high).

Mitama and Shiro are both really strong too. Kiragi is kinda meh though, and Selkie sucks imo (wolves>foxes). I haven't gotten the other kids.
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

So far I think this is the best game yet in terms of gameplay. The story is just okay but overall I feel like this game has a lot going for it. Mostly been working on Birthright, although I have dabbled a bit in Conquest. Grabbed Revelation DLC but haven't touched it yet
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Not done Birthright yet, but I think I'll probably take a little break before starting Conquest to prevent being burnt out.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm doing revelations now. I'm at Chapter 13. I just had to reset because of a lame 3% chance crit that landed. :|

I felt like Revelations was really lame early on, but it's getting a bit better now that I have more units.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

i pre-ordered the special edition. Better get around to finishing the original before it arrives.