What are you reading?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Re: What are you reading?

Post by TheGreatNads »

ROTK is 3000 pages? Wow. I read it online many years ago when I had nothing better to do so I have no concept of how long it actually is as a book.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:
VictorViper wrote:Share, Jog, your recommendations have been noted and I'll probably tackle both after Wizard and Glass. As for the 3000 page historical epic, that'll probably take some gearing up before I'm ready to dive in. :)
The Moss Roberts translation of Three Kingdoms is actually my favourite work of literary fiction, so that wasn't a glib recommendation (only the contrast between them was ;)). I think Share and Kiwi have read it now, and Allo has started it maybe.
Yes, that is the version I read. I liked it a lot. I need to re-read it to digest it further as its scope and complexity are pretty significant even though the writing style is generally simple yet elegant. It's one of those books that I think gives you something new each time you return to it.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:ROTK is 3000 pages? Wow. I read it online many years ago when I had nothing better to do so I have no concept of how long it actually is as a book.
I think the 4-volume Roberts is around 2300 small pages. You can find ~1200-page trade paperback editions of the same translation now, I believe.
Sharecrow wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:The Moss Roberts translation of Three Kingdoms is actually my favourite work of literary fiction, so that wasn't a glib recommendation (only the contrast between them was ;)). I think Share and Kiwi have read it now, and Allo has started it maybe.
Yes, that is the version I read. I liked it a lot. I need to re-read it to digest it further as it's scope and complexity are pretty significant even though the writing style is generally simple yet elegant. It's one of those books that I think gives you something new each time you return to it.
I agree on the contrast of scope and complexity with style. It seems like easy reading at first, but then you start to get into some of the major perspective and time shifts and it can become tricky to keep situating yourself within the plot (in a good way).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

VictorViper wrote:I've been meaning to read The Blind Assassin for a while now and it completely flew off my radar. Thanks for the reminder!
Just finished reading this. If you're not aware, it's like a meta novel-within-a-novel, as one of the characters has authored a novel called The Blind Assassin. I liked those sections way more than the other sections, which basically constitute a family history and were a little overlong and boring, but the end ties up some things pretty darn nicely and manages to introduce a few twists.
lol hello
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

Forscyvus wrote:
VictorViper wrote:I've been meaning to read The Blind Assassin for a while now and it completely flew off my radar. Thanks for the reminder!
Just finished reading this. If you're not aware, it's like a meta novel-within-a-novel, as one of the characters has authored a novel called The Blind Assassin. I liked those sections way more than the other sections, which basically constitute a family history and were a little overlong and boring, but the end ties up some things pretty darn nicely and manages to introduce a few twists.
Let me be clear: it's not really the fact that it's a family history that's boring. It's more Atwood insisting on comparing everything in the book to something else. It's always "like" this or "as though it were" that.

The central mystery is still satisfying.
lol hello
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

VictorViper wrote:Last book: The Metamorphosis (Kafka)

Currently reading: Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower IV)

I've really been enjoying King's epic dark fantasy. I've been told by several people that this volume is the pinnacle of the series and to expect a downhill slide from here, but I'm not deterred. I've been reading a totally different book between volumes, so...
I found the book that followed it (Wolves of the Calla) the biggest chore...in fact it's the point where I stopped reading Dark Tower for a number of years. However it perks up towards the end with a plot twist that re-fired my interest in the series. I actually really enjoyed the next book Song of Susannah as a result.

Having now finished the whole series I still find it a patchy experimental series that was probably a whole lot more illuminating for Stephen King than it was for any of his readers.

I've read that many people hated the ending but I personally thought it was quite fitting as by that point anybody who has read all seven books should probably have expected it. :)

I don't regret reading the series, it is patchy by its nature....I don't agree with King that it's his Magnum Opus though. I still prefer him as a short story writer in truth.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Currently: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

One of the review quotes on the back cover should have been a warning.
"A work of exhaustive inventiveness..." and it is exhausting alright.
The scenario is filled with bizarre creatures and other elements clustered together, from Cactus-people to characters that seem to be a crossbreed between The Rotten (of Dark Souls 2) and a Shoggoth, but what makes it exhausting are the descriptions that rather focus on how 'it' makes the current protagonist feel, instead of explaining what 'it' actually looks like.
However I may yet continue to read it to the end. While it took quite a while to get going, I am now interested enough that I want to see where this goes.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:I'm not the kind of guy that is into books, but I picked up and read "Earth: The Book" (Daily Show with Jon Stewart), a few years ago; making fun of those children's learning books from school. The book is addressed to the aliens, as they learn about us, our culture (and why we're not here!)
That sounds hilarious.

I've always wanted to read the Dark Tower series but I've never had the chance.

Right now I'm reading A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire series a.k.a Game of Thrones). I finished up the first book last month and took a little break to get into the second. I really enjoy Jon Snow's story as well as Tyrion's, of course I generally know how the story goes because I've watched the show, but it's still a good read.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Just about to start Deception Point by Dan Brown. I tend to like Dan Brown, unlike a lot of people, and I have read all of his books except this one.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

I'm not reading anything [outside of gaming], just viewing the latest issue (issue 10) of NF Magazine digitally right now.
Spoiler
The issue is focused on game-crossovers...