Dark Souls 3

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Dark Souls 3

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

This is a thread for Dark Souls 3.

Praise the Sun (and remember to use spoiler tags if you content necessitates it)!
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Dark Souls 3

Post by Kong Wen »

Praise the sun! The Deprived dream lives on (although I'm not so deprived anymore).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

So... the events so far:

Kiwi started out as Assassin with an Estoc and a useful Spook-spell (negates fall dmg and noise) with the Life Ring as a gift.

I am now at the beginning of the fourth area (so far the game was linear) and beat 3 bosses.

Current stats:
Level 35
Currently: Sunbro
Vig: 14
Att: 14
End: 11
Vit: 17
Str: 16
Dex: 19
Int: 11
Fai: 12
Luc: 10

Also Hollowing 10
though as I found out it changes quickly upon dying after doing stuff with an NPC and can be set to zero at a shrine behind the gate in the short sewer area (for a small price)
Spoiler
Said NPC (that can increase your level for free a few times... at a cost) actually died in my game and was replaced by another recently.... not sure where that goes though item descriptions seem to imply that they come from a land where hollowing is fashionable.
Current equipment:
Spoiler
Refined Dark Sword (from the wraith that also gives you a red eyed orb, infused it myself)
Deep Battle Axe +1 (from the first mimic, also dropped the mimic headgear)
Silver Eagle Kite Shield, Sorcerer's Staff, Priest's Chime, Longbow
Thief Mask, Northern Gloves & Pants, Armor of the Sun (traded for some fancy brew at the crow's nest)
Life Ring, Saint's Ring, Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, Flame Stoneplate Ring
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

First souls game, technically. Picked the pyromancer class. Play for about an hour today, made it past the first boss into the hub world it seems. Spent a lot of time just getting used to the controls and fighting. Seems interesting so far!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:First souls game, technically. Picked the pyromancer class. Play for about an hour today, made it past the first boss into the hub world it seems. Spent a lot of time just getting used to the controls and fighting. Seems interesting so far!
That's the way to do it! Take your time. Pyromancers are fun.

I saw in the chat you were having a tough time getting used to the R1/R2 buttons for attacking. Just think of the shoulder buttons as left hand / right hand.

Also, when leveling up, you have a lot of freedom. Your starting class really only affects what you start with—you can turn into anything after that. A Pyromancer is going to want lots of Attunement (affects the number of spells you can equip) and Intelligence & Faith (both contribute to your spell damage).

Pay attention to the attribute bonuses on the weapons you find you like to use. This'll usually be Strength or Dexterity, and appear like E, D, C, B, etc. The "better" that letter, the more the weapon's damage scales based on that stat. So if you have a sword with B Strength and E Dexterity, having high Strength will cause it to do much more damage, but high Dexterity won't affect it too much. Paying attention to this can help you allot your stats effectively, but don't get too stressed about it because you can't really screw your character up. There are plenty of souls to go around. :)

Also don't be afraid to summon phantoms to help you, especially with bosses. It's part of the game, and it's very non-intrusive multiplayer (the phantom can't do much to impact your game, they don't talk to you, etc.).
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Victor so far:

Warrior of Sunlight
SL 30

VIG - 12
ATT - 14
END - 15
VIT - 14
STR - 12
DEX - 20
INT -11
FTH - 11
LCK - 10

Using a Sharp Uchigatana +4 and stock longbow.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Update:
No new level ups as I had to save up souls to resolve the hollowing thing. Cost me 43000...
Killed boss four (who is a pushover) and finally the paths split.
Also, killed a miniboss, whos soul I converted into a famous piece of jewellery.
Access to 5 covenants, helped a lot of people and saw a lot of invasions.
Considering going for a faith build, though I haven't found a single faith scaling weapon so far.
Since I can now buy shards, basic equipment upgrades to +3 are in progress.

Current stats:
Level 35
Currently: Sunbro
Vig: 14
Att: 14
End: 11
Vit: 17
Str: 16
Dex: 19
Int: 11
Fai: 12
Luc: 10

Current equipment:
Spoiler
Refined Dark Sword +4, Fire Sellsword Twinblades +3, Pyromancer Flame +1
Longbow +1, Dragon Crest Shield, Priest's Chime
Iron Helm, Northern Armor, Cleric Gloves, Pyromancer Pants
Life Ring, Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, Havel's Ring, Estus Ring
Spells: Heal, Fireball (which I hardly use)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:First souls game, technically. Picked the pyromancer class. Play for about an hour today, made it past the first boss into the hub world it seems. Spent a lot of time just getting used to the controls and fighting. Seems interesting so far!
That's the way to do it! Take your time. Pyromancers are fun.

I saw in the chat you were having a tough time getting used to the R1/R2 buttons for attacking. Just think of the shoulder buttons as left hand / right hand.

Also, when leveling up, you have a lot of freedom. Your starting class really only affects what you start with—you can turn into anything after that. A Pyromancer is going to want lots of Attunement (affects the number of spells you can equip) and Intelligence & Faith (both contribute to your spell damage).

Pay attention to the attribute bonuses on the weapons you find you like to use. This'll usually be Strength or Dexterity, and appear like E, D, C, B, etc. The "better" that letter, the more the weapon's damage scales based on that stat. So if you have a sword with B Strength and E Dexterity, having high Strength will cause it to do much more damage, but high Dexterity won't affect it too much. Paying attention to this can help you allot your stats effectively, but don't get too stressed about it because you can't really screw your character up. There are plenty of souls to go around. :)

Also don't be afraid to summon phantoms to help you, especially with bosses. It's part of the game, and it's very non-intrusive multiplayer (the phantom can't do much to impact your game, they don't talk to you, etc.).
Getting a little more used to everything now, made it up to the second boss today. I assume when when you press triangle to hold a weapon with two hands it does more damage, yes? I also noticed you can then use the left trigger buttons to pull off other FP using skills.

Not sure how the multiplayer part of the game works, you can join people's games and they can join you at any point? Not sure how to initiate it. I do like the little messages people leave though, they can be helpful when approaching a room with unexpected monsters.

I wasn't sure if I liked how enemies come back whenever you rest at a bonfire, but I think I do now. They always pop up in the same places so you kind of create a map in your head of where the enemies are, and from there create a strategy to get rid of them (or run from them) in the most effective way possible. Also makes for very catious exploring, it becomes very satisfying to make it to an area you haven't been to before.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Not sure how the multiplayer part of the game works, you can join people's games and they can join you at any point? Not sure how to initiate it. I do like the little messages people leave though, they can be helpful when approaching a room with unexpected monsters.
If you're alive/kindled, you can see yellow or white soapstone signs on the ground that let you summon allies to help you, but enemy phantoms can also invade your world. If you buy the white soapstone from the merchant at Firelink, you can leave your own sign on the ground and other people can summon you to help them. If you die in their worlds, you don't lose anything, you just start back where you were when you got summoned. If you help them defeat a boss, you'll come back to your world with a free ember and some extra souls. There are some other mechanics involving covenants, but you'll get to those later.
The Shoemaker wrote:I wasn't sure if I liked how enemies come back whenever you rest at a bonfire, but I think I do now. They always pop up in the same places so you kind of create a map in your head of where the enemies are, and from there create a strategy to get rid of them (or run from them) in the most effective way possible. Also makes for very catious exploring, it becomes very satisfying to make it to an area you haven't been to before.
It's good because it forces you to learn the best ways to get around, and perfect your combat skills. Eventually they won't be much of a hindrance because you'll be so good at tearing through them. :) It also serves as a nice source of souls in case you ever lose yours.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Not sure how the multiplayer part of the game works, you can join people's games and they can join you at any point? Not sure how to initiate it. I do like the little messages people leave though, they can be helpful when approaching a room with unexpected monsters.
If you're alive/kindled, you can see yellow or white soapstone signs on the ground that let you summon allies to help you, but enemy phantoms can also invade your world. If you buy the white soapstone from the merchant at Firelink, you can leave your own sign on the ground and other people can summon you to help them. If you die in their worlds, you don't lose anything, you just start back where you were when you got summoned. If you help them defeat a boss, you'll come back to your world with a free ember and some extra souls. There are some other mechanics involving covenants, but you'll get to those later.

Alright makes sense now.

It's very interesting playing with other people. I am very turtle paced. I peek around every corner and slowly creep my way down hallways looking for traps and treasure. I summoned someone to help me and this guy just ran through everything, I could barely keep up with him! We just kept going and going and I was getting pretty nervous because at this point we were so far from the bonfire and I knew if I died there was no way I was making it back this far to grab my souls. We end up getting pinned in this narrow passage with enemies on both ends, and all of a sudden it tells me I'm being invaded. My summoned guy goes to fight the invader but I decided nope, wasn't doing that, I had too many souls to lose. So I ran past everyone the way I came as my summoned guy dies behind me, I ran all the way back to the bonfire and got the hell out of there haha.