Board Games (catch-all thread)

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Board Games (catch-all thread)

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:A friend of mine recently published a game called Dice Heist. It's a dice-based risk/reward type game. I haven't played it yet so I can't personally vouch for it, but I know he's a stickler for mechanics, and it has cute art.
Same friend has another new game upcoming in January, Light & Dark, which involves flicking disks? Sounds like tabletop curling? I'll have to read the rulebook. :lol:
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:A friend of mine recently published a game called Dice Heist. It's a dice-based risk/reward type game. I haven't played it yet so I can't personally vouch for it, but I know he's a stickler for mechanics, and it has cute art.
Same friend has another new game upcoming in January, Light & Dark, which involves flicking disks? Sounds like tabletop curling? I'll have to read the rulebook. :lol:
Crokinole is one of the best games ever. Very curious about this, if it has any similarities at all.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kong Wen wrote: Same friend has another new game upcoming in January, Light & Dark, which involves flicking disks? Sounds like tabletop curling? I'll have to read the rulebook. :lol:
If you are into flicking disks, I highly suggest to give "Catacombs" a try https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/195 ... rd-edition
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Just got the game Camel Up. Really fun game. Takes a full round to really figure it all out, but once you do it goes very fast. This game won game of the year in Germany in 2014, and I can totally see why. You bet on camels to win legs of a race, and the overall race itself. There is some skill, but lots of logic, reasoning, and luck. Would be fun to play with adults and family. I would highly recommend picking this game up!

https://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Spiele-P ... s=camel+up
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Does anyone here like legacy-style board games? Charterstone sounds like an interesting one: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197376/charterstone
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I scored a (basically new) copy of Scythe yesterday for a deep discount. Got it home and discovered why the original purchaser had brought it back - clearly the person got excited and started snapping pieces together, and "wrecked" the combat power counter cards. 10 minutes of carefully applied elbow grease fixed the issue.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote: 12 Dec 2017 16:57 Does anyone here like legacy-style board games? Charterstone sounds like an interesting one: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197376/charterstone
VictorViper wrote: 15 Dec 2017 15:26 I scored a (basically new) copy of Scythe yesterday for a deep discount. Got it home and discovered why the original purchaser had brought it back - clearly the person got excited and started snapping pieces together, and "wrecked" the combat power counter cards. 10 minutes of carefully applied elbow grease fixed the issue.
Haha, relevant to both of the immediate preceding comments, it looks like there's going to be a version of Scythe coming soon with legacy features, coming in late 2018.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Cross-posting this over from our articles section for the dedicated board-gamers in the community:

https://thisoldneon.com/2018/06/war-chest/
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

This will get reposted in the Ascension thread for targeted Merlin notification, but as a heads up, a card game called Hardback I've been eyeing for months now is available digitally. This is the second game in this series from Fowers Games (the earlier release was called Paperback), and it's a deckbuilder cum word game - and it's excellent.

No monsters, characters, etc. Just pure spelling action with a traditional deckbuilding mechanic. Cross-platform online play too! $6.50 and worth every penny, though watch for sales otherwise.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote: 22 Oct 2018 22:31 This will get reposted in the Ascension thread for targeted Merlin notification, but as a heads up, a card game called Hardback I've been eyeing for months now is available digitally. This is the second game in this series from Fowers Games (the earlier release was called Paperback), and it's a deckbuilder cum word game - and it's excellent.

No monsters, characters, etc. Just pure spelling action with a traditional deckbuilding mechanic. Cross-platform online play too! $6.50 and worth every penny, though watch for sales otherwise.
Wishlisting this without knowing much else about it. How much Scrabble is it (i.e. how much is it just about spelling words)?