Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Kreegs »

Looks less than ideal.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:That looks pretty awful, but looks like it's only necessary if you want to hear game audio and voice out of the same earphones? I always just play audio on the TV and voice through the earphones.
Yeah, which is what most people want. Just because there's a less-good way to use an industry-standard feature doesn't mean the feature shouldn't be well-implemented.

"Having an online eShop is only necessary if you want to buy downloadable games on the Switch. I always just drive 40 minutes to Costco and buy a downloadable game code card, then to go NINTENDOSWITCH.COM and enter the code, then login to my Switch account and begin the download."

With earphones on, I cannot hear the TV, because I have earphones on my ears. If I turn up the TV, then my friends can hear the TV through my mic, since the TV is loud.

Edit: To be clear, the way Nintendo has mishandled some of the atrocious Switch design decisions (this one is the clearest example so far) is utterly embarrassing.
Didn't know most people did it that way!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Has anyone seen these controllers before? I read an article about how they are now compatible with the Switch and I might want one for games like Shovel Knight and the eventual VC games. What do people think?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetoo ... rds=8bitdo
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Has anyone seen these controllers before? I read an article about how they are now compatible with the Switch and I might want one for games like Shovel Knight and the eventual VC games. What do people think?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetoo ... rds=8bitdo
That's a nice looking SNES controller! I haven't heard bad things about the brand, but I've never been one to go for classic controllers. Cool thing is you can use these to play regular Switch games.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kreegs wrote:Random question:

Do you have your menu theme set to white or black?

I use white.
Black.
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Might get the SNES controller. Would be nice for some platformers on the ipad as well. I just dont know if I should get the one with the purple buttons or he different colors. Apparently only the purple button on as the concave AND conced buttons. All the colored buttons rise up like little hills.

Thoughts? Did you have the change to play SNES with both of these controllers from different regions?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Might get the SNES controller. Would be nice for some platformers on the ipad as well. I just dont know if I should get the one with the purple buttons or he different colors. Apparently only the purple button on as the concave AND conced buttons. All the colored buttons rise up like little hills.

Thoughts? Did you have the change to play SNES with both of these controllers from different regions?
I had purple buttons, and I think one controller with multicolored buttons but I'm pretty sure it was third party. I liked the concave feel, but all modern buttons are convex bubbles.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Ordered the colored buttons SNES controller. Should arrive Wednesday. I'll make sure to share my thoughts! I need a better D pad to play Shocel Knight. The pro controller D pad is disappointing me at the moment.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

Kreegs wrote:The pro controller D pad is disappointing me at the moment.
I need to agree on this one. i would say that it doesn't feel "fast" enough, it requires extra effort to push the correct direction.
I did use it with the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo and needed to go back to the joy-con button version of the d-pad to feel the confidence in control that a game like that requires.
Pretty puzzling, I'm glad it wasn't just me.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

neuzd wrote:I need to agree on this one. i would say that it doesn't feel "fast" enough, it requires extra effort to push the correct direction.
I did use it with the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo and needed to go back to the joy-con button version of the d-pad to feel the confidence in control that a game like that requires.
Pretty puzzling, I'm glad it wasn't just me.
Kreegs mentioned this in the chat, and I agreed: when you're pressing left or right on the d-pad, you can feel it easily tilt to click up or down, even if you're holding the far left or right tip of the pad. I think the issue might be that it's so tall and stiff that it's too easy to engage any direction unintentionally. It can be a big pain in games that require precision. It's kind of weird, because Nintendo's past d-pads have been pretty well-designed.

I'm probably going to snag one of those SNES controllers too.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming