Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Kreegs »

True. They previously sold ones with sticks too. I just wanted the complete retro controller for the retro games. These look good too though.

Getting both Kong? Both purple or splurging for Skittles and sticks?? ;-)
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I posted this in the chat already but I think this is really great
https://nyko.com/collections/switch/pro ... ndo-switch

NYKO brand portable dock for Switch. I believe Nintendo's dock costs $90, while this one is $45 US. It comes with a charger and HDMI cord, so no extra costs there. It's also really tiny which makes it very portable, and there's no chance of scratching your screen for those that are worried. I believe the only drawback is there are no USB ports, but that's something I can deal with if I'm using this as a secondary dock.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:True. They previously sold ones with sticks too. I just wanted the complete retro controller for the retro games. These look good too though.

Getting both Kong? Both purple or splurging for Skittles and sticks?? ;-)
Purple for both.
The Shoemaker wrote:I posted this in the chat already but I think this is really great

NYKO brand portable dock for Switch. I believe Nintendo's dock costs $90, while this one is $45 US. It comes with a charger and HDMI cord, so no extra costs there. It's also really tiny which makes it very portable, and there's no chance of scratching your screen for those that are worried. I believe the only drawback is there are no USB ports, but that's something I can deal with if I'm using this as a secondary dock.
Wow Shoe, that looks better than I expected. I'll definitely consider picking up one of those for my travel case / upstairs TV. I like how small the dock itself is, and it's great to hear it comes with its own cables. No USB is not the end of the world, since the main thing I need that for is an external HDD (not coming on the road with me) or to charge the ProCon, which stays charged for 100 years, so probably not urgent.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:I posted this in the chat already but I think this is really great

I be wondering what's it's internal display port to hdmi adaptor's quality like compared to the official one.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kawaiipikachu wrote:I be wondering what's it's internal display port to hdmi adaptor's quality like compared to the official one.
I don't imagine it would be any better, if you're considering upgrading from the clunky official Nintendo one. It couldn't be any worse, either. It's literally just an HDMI pass-through.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
kawaiipikachu wrote:I be wondering what's it's internal display port to hdmi adaptor's quality like compared to the official one.
I don't imagine it would be any better, if you're considering upgrading from the clunky official Nintendo one. It couldn't be any worse, either. It's literally just an HDMI pass-through.
Well actually thee Switch uses Display port over USB as by USB-C standard second version & it's confirmed by the iFixit teardown of the switch with a Megachips STDP2550 Mobility DisplayPort (MyDP) to HDMI Converter chip inside.
meaning that depending on the chip that Nyko deside to use might compromise the quality & or latency.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Found a video review of the 8bitdo controllers. These are all the ones they had out before they announced the Switch specific ones at E3. They look glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXPVHrQoWY
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm really worried about what Nintendo is doing Kong. I think they released the Switch way too early. I know the Wii U wasn't doing hot, but it had a decent collection of exclusive games and they could have gotten more mileage from it before releasing a half-baked new console. The lack of basic functionality, the hardware issues and the poor launch library (not unique to Switch admittedly) make me think that they rushed this out to market way too quickly.

This is a controversial view, but I also believe that Nintendo's 3DS cannibalized the Wii U. Furthermore, I feel that they are making the mistake of allowing it to cannibalize the Switch as well. Here is an example of what I mean by this: Super Smash Bros. launched on both the 3DS and Wii U. SSB is one of Nintendo's biggest goldmines. While they may have sold a bunch of copies on 3DS, I feel they could have actually got more people to buy Wii U by making it an exclusive. The 3DS also received a lot of Nintendo's attention which could have gone to the Wii U and allowed Nintendo to rebound. The negative feedback loop from launch Wii U would still have allowed Sony to take top prize. Nonetheless, Nintendo could have easily revived the console during holidays and with price cuts.

With the Switch, I worry that Nintendo is falling into the same trap of allowing the 3DS to cannibalize the console, but here it is much more apparent. The main selling point of the Switch is its portability in tandem with its function as a home console. I don't think it has other selling points worth mentioning. It's not that technologically impressive nor does it offer any other gimmicks to set it apart from its competitors. Third party companies have traditionally been averse to developing for Nintendo home consoles but more willing to work on Nintendo's portables. The logical step could have been for Nintendo to focus on the Switch's main selling point, its portability, to deliver the best portable gaming platform in history. They'd carve out their own niche in the gaming market and would cease to even be competing with Microsoft and Sony at that point. People would buy a Switch just for an amazing portable library and the dual usage of being able to set it up as a home console. I personally think it would exceed 3DS' sales if they did that and focused on developing their entire roster of first party games on the console. I also think third party developers would be more willing to devote attention to it since Nintendo's portables have always done well.

Nintendo is not doing that. They are continuing to develop on the 3DS. Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia should have been the 3DS' swansong if not a Switch game. But now they are also throwing out Pokemon, Metroid and other games as well and have announced they plan to keep the Switch as mainly a home console while the 3DS persists as their portable. IMO I REALLY think they should have thrown all their eggs into one basket with the Switch and devoted all their energy and resources to it. The 3DS is now a very technologically inferior device. It is well overdue for an upgrade by now. Nintendo is playing it way too safe by sticking with their traditional policy of having one home console and one portable.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:I'm really worried about what Nintendo is doing Kong. I think they released the Switch way too early. I know the Wii U wasn't doing hot, but it had a decent collection of exclusive games and they could have gotten more mileage from it before releasing a half-baked new console. The lack of basic functionality, the hardware issues and the poor launch library (not unique to Switch admittedly) make me think that they rushed this out to market way too quickly.

This is a controversial view, but I also believe that Nintendo's 3DS cannibalized the Wii U. Furthermore, I feel that they are making the mistake of allowing it to cannibalize the Switch as well. Here is an example of what I mean by this: Super Smash Bros. launched on both the 3DS and Wii U. SSB is one of Nintendo's biggest goldmines. While they may have sold a bunch of copies on 3DS, I feel they could have actually got more people to buy Wii U by making it an exclusive. The 3DS also received a lot of Nintendo's attention which could have gone to the Wii U and allowed Nintendo to rebound. The negative feedback loop from launch Wii U would still have allowed Sony to take top prize. Nonetheless, Nintendo could have easily revived the console during holidays and with price cuts.

With the Switch, I worry that Nintendo is falling into the same trap of allowing the 3DS to cannibalize the console, but here it is much more apparent. The main selling point of the Switch is its portability in tandem with its function as a home console. I don't think it has other selling points worth mentioning. It's not that technologically impressive nor does it offer any other gimmicks to set it apart from its competitors. Third party companies have traditionally been averse to developing for Nintendo home consoles but more willing to work on Nintendo's portables. The logical step could have been for Nintendo to focus on the Switch's main selling point, its portability, to deliver the best portable gaming platform in history. They'd carve out their own niche in the gaming market and would cease to even be competing with Microsoft and Sony at that point. People would buy a Switch just for an amazing portable library and the dual usage of being able to set it up as a home console. I personally think it would exceed 3DS' sales if they did that and focused on developing their entire roster of first party games on the console. I also think third party developers would be more willing to devote attention to it since Nintendo's portables have always done well.

Nintendo is not doing that. They are continuing to develop on the 3DS. Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia should have been the 3DS' swansong if not a Switch game. But now they are also throwing out Pokemon, Metroid and other games as well and have announced they plan to keep the Switch as mainly a home console while the 3DS persists as their portable. IMO I REALLY think they should have thrown all their eggs into one basket with the Switch and devoted all their energy and resources to it. The 3DS is now a very technologically inferior device. It is well overdue for an upgrade by now. Nintendo is playing it way too safe by sticking with their traditional policy of having one home console and one portable.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said, Jordan. (The only point of divergence is a minor quibble about the Switch's launch library: while undeniably weak, I think Zelda and Mario Kart adequately fill the necessary plugs to float the console to early adopters long enough for people to realize they're actively working on games across their entire suite of IPs.)

Shadows of Valentia should absolutely have been the Switch's swan-song, and ideally it should have been a cross-platform release with a superior Switch version. Putting Metroid II on 3DS instead of Switch is absolutely mystifying to me. That game would be right at home on Switch.

I think Nintendo's concern is that abandoning the 3DS cold turkey is a big gamble. It's their cash cow. They also want to avoid the perception that the Switch is just a portable system with a TV dock (which it is, given the specs, but they'd rather delicately skate on the other side of that line and promote the Switch as a powerful home console that you can take on the go).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I would rather they focus on Switch, but I think it's also key to note that 3DS is really only getting remakes right now. Shadows of Valentia, Metroid II, Superstar Saga, Pokemon Ultra Sun. These are games to hold over 3DS owners, but I'd hardly call then system sellers.

I think there's a reason only Switch was shown on their Spotlight and Metroid II was announced during the stream. They are directing the majority of their advertising towards Switch while low key giving 3DS owners something to play.

While I think they should have had a big game for May, the rest of the year is packed with games. And the system is still riding the Breath of the Wild/Mario Kart hype, and I think it will continue with Odyssey.

I Think they can exist as 2 different markets for the time being. Wii U's first year was 2012-2013. This also happened to be 3DS's best year to date. Now in 2017-2018, 3DS is in it's twilight years and Switch is the new hot item about it hit it's golden years of New titles. I don't think 3ds will be stealing the spot light in that way with mostly remakes coming it's way, titles that mostly appeal to existing 3ds owners.

And of course, Switch and 3DS are completely different price points, one $300, the other you can find for $100. I think that can exist as the distinction for a while until Nintendo drops the price and or releases a Switch Mini version to finally push 3ds owners towards Switch.

I think Switch came out early, but I am curious to see how it does because of it. By it's first holiday season, it will have Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids, FE Warriors, Splatoon 2, ARMS among others to it's name, compared to if it launched this holiday with Zelda and maybe another big title.

A lot of the hardcore Nintendo crowd has already bought a Switch as well, which means they won't be crowding the market coming christmas leaving it open to the more casual consumer. And by then they will surely have their OS updated with basic features ready to go. If they don't, then they've messed up big time.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons