Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I would rather they focus on Switch, but I think it's also key to note that 3DS is really only getting remakes right now. Shadows of Valentia, Metroid II, Superstar Saga, Pokemon Ultra Sun. These are games to hold over 3DS owners, but I'd hardly call then system sellers.
They might not normally be system-sellers, but this early in a new console's life, with this weak a launch lineup, they become system-sellers. They'd certainly sell the system to people who want to get in on the Switch and enjoy Zelda or Mario Kart but if only it had one or two more games. If only. Plus, Metroid II? First "new" 2D Metroid in a long time? Even if that were a downloadable title only, it'd still help move consoles.

I think the slant of Jordan's point is less about selling more Switches, and more about forcing 3DS players to have to move on to Switch because there's nothing left for them to do on 3DS.
The Shoemaker wrote:and or releases a Switch Mini version to finally push 3ds owners towards Switch.
I hope you mean in like 4-5 years. Releasing a brand new Switch SKU before that would be insane.
The Shoemaker wrote:By it's first holiday season, it will have Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids, FE Warriors, Splatoon 2, ARMS among others to it's name, compared to if it launched this holiday with Zelda and maybe another big title.
XCOM: Rabbids Edition is a niche 3rd-party title, and as much as I love it, Dynasty Warriors isn't a big linchpin title, it's a filler game. Hell, the fact that filler Omega Force brawlers are considered big entries in the lineup says something. ARMS could end up being good, but it's a new, untested IP.

(Note: I still think the real core of Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart is a strong lineup going into the holidays, but let's not overstate things here by "padding the stats.")
The Shoemaker wrote:And by then they will surely have their OS updated with basic features ready to go. If they don't, then they've messed up big time.
They've already pushed back the launch of core online functionality to 2018.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: I think the slant of Jordan's point is less about selling more Switches, and more about forcing 3DS players to have to move on to Switch because there's nothing left for them to do on 3DS.
As a Switch owner I'd rather they did that, but I don't know how great it would be to drop support for both 3DS and Wii U at the same time in support of Switch. Again I think the price point differentiates the markets. I don't think it's all or nothing, like in the case of Smash Bros. Releasing just on Wii U may have sold a few million more units, but at that point Wii U was too far gone. Mario Kart which released earlier that year didn't even move Wii U as much as the same game is moving Switch's now.
The Shoemaker wrote:and or releases a Switch Mini version to finally push 3ds owners towards Switch.
Kong Wen wrote:I hope you mean in like 4-5 years. Releasing a brand new Switch SKU before that would be insane.
I'd say 2-3 years, similar to the PS4 Slim, DS lite, 3DS XL
The Shoemaker wrote:By it's first holiday season, it will have Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids, FE Warriors, Splatoon 2, ARMS among others to it's name, compared to if it launched this holiday with Zelda and maybe another big title.
Kong Wen wrote: XCOM: Rabbids Edition is a niche 3rd-party title, and as much as I love it, Dynasty Warriors isn't a big linchpin title, it's a filler game. Hell, the fact that filler Omega Force brawlers are considered big entries in the lineup says something. ARMS could end up being good, but it's a new, untested IP.
(Note: I still think the real core of Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart is a strong lineup going into the holidays, but let's not overstate things here by "padding the stats.")
I mean, Mario and Rabbids is still another box they have on the shelf with Mario on it. All I'm saying is, it will be interesting to see how Switch's first holiday goes with all of these titles out and the hardcore fanbase out of the way, compared to the usual first holiday where the hardcore fanbase sells out the system and it launches with a couple first party IP's. Oh and Pokken Tournament, which is another port, but still another box on the shelf with Pikachu on it.
The Shoemaker wrote:And by then they will surely have their OS updated with basic features ready to go. If they don't, then they've messed up big time.
Kong Wen wrote: They've already pushed back the launch of core online functionality to 2018.
You think that includes features like Netflix and an Internet browser?
Kong Wen wrote: They might not normally be system-sellers, but this early in a new console's life, with this weak a launch lineup, they become system-sellers. They'd certainly sell the system to people who want to get in on the Switch and enjoy Zelda or Mario Kart but if only it had one or two more games. If only. Plus, Metroid II? First "new" 2D Metroid in a long time? Even if that were a downloadable title only, it'd still help move consoles.
I think they may as well have put these games on Switch, but I also think they make sense as low cost 3DS games that keep that audience going, the people who wouldn't be ready to jump on Switch regardless. In the case of Fire Emblem, Valentia was made specifically to be the last 3DS Fire Emblem before Switch and was actually supposed to release last year, but was delayed. I kind of think Metroid is the same thing where it was supposed to have released earlier and that's why it's not on Switch, since it's been in development for 2 years already, well before they would have given MercurySteam a Switch dev kit.

I hope the Switch will take over 3DS as a handheld, and the signs are there with Fire Emblem and Pokémon, but I don't think Nintendo is ready to push it as that. I don't really know what the better approach is. I mean clearly they weren't expecting this level of success, so I wonder if they were just too afraid to put all their eggs in one basket especially after the Wii U, and after 3DS just had one of its most successful years.

Overall, I'm not concerned with how the Switch will preform this year. I think 3DS will slow down even more next year and we'll see Switch pick up even more.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The rest of the years lineup looks pretty decent compared to the first half.

Splatoon 2
Arms
Mario + Rabbids
Mario Odysessy
Xenoblade 2
Skyrim
Fire Emblem Warriors
Rocket League
Pokken Tournament DX
Yooka Laylee

So I think going forward the switch is okay I don't think many consoles have a good start ever I think this holiday season will give us a much better look at it. In the end sales mean a lot.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

8bitdo SNES pad (no-sticks) is awesome on the Switch. I would assume it would be great on whatever. Will be trying it on the ipad tomorrow for my Sonic games. Full review tomorrow. For 35 bucks, you should buy one if you play retro games. It works on so many playforms and feels amazing.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

So those new SNES controllers promise full compatibility and they're coming out later in the fall.

8bitdo is also releasing an NES-style fight stick and a couple of cute looking wireless speakers to match the red & blue Switch colours.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

8bitdo SFC30 controller review. Feel free to move this into a different thread, but I am mainly playing with it on the Switch. It cost me $35 USD on Amazon.

It looks and feels exactly like a Super Famicom / SNES controller. Mine is the Super Famicom version with the color buttons. The weight is nice in your hands, and the buttons all feel like a first party, Nintendo-made, SNES controller. I honestly am super impressed with the quality. It came in a really nice box and included a matching color USB cable, and a metal keychain. Battery life has not been an issue for me yet. It seems to last a really long time.

Getting it to work with the Switch was super easy. (I am using a macbook) I went to their website and downloaded the 4.0 firmware update for the SFC30. I then followed the instructions from the readme, and installed the firmware. When you pair it with the Switch, you have to use a different controller, or the touchscreen, to get to the "change controller order" screen. Then you just hold start and Y and the controller pairs. It shows up as a pro controller on screen. There is even a way to push the "home" button on it by pushing down and select at the same time.

I have played Shovel Knight and Puyo Puyo Tetris with it, and it works flawlessly. There is no input lag, and it just feels perfect. I supposed you could even use this for games like FastRMX or MK8DX if you really wanted. I might try to download some other 2D platformers or NeoGeo games to play with it.

Should you buy one? If you play games that use a D-pad, YES. If you really need the sticks, 8bitdo already has a few options with sticks. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative for a pro controller, I would just wait until the Switch specific SNES pads with sticks come out in the fall. If you just want to get a pretty affordable wireless controller for retro games, this is the perfect controller for you. I honestly can't believe it was only $35.
http://www.8bitdo.com/#Products
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I forgot the Pro Controller is $90, if I ever need another controller like that I might grab the 8bit controller with the sticks, especially since it will have a better dpad.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Nintendo has released a minor Switch system update.

The list of changes includes:
  • Register a channel to receive news for specific games
  • Add friends from your 3DS and Wii U friends lists
  • Get notifications when friends go online
  • Find paired controllers using remote vibration function
  • 6 new Splatoon 2 user icons
  • Change system volume from quick settings (hold HOME)
  • Change display colours to inverted or greyscale
  • ProCon can now be used wired by connecting to a USB cable
There are also some stability updates.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:Nintendo has released a minor Switch system update.

The list of changes includes:
  • Register a channel to receive news for specific games
  • Add friends from your 3DS and Wii U friends lists
  • Get notifications when friends go online
  • Find paired controllers using remote vibration function
  • 6 new Splatoon 2 user icons
  • Change system volume from quick settings (hold HOME)
  • Change display colours to inverted or greyscale
  • ProCon can now be used wired by connecting to a USB cable
There are also some stability updates.
Let's hope this doesn't affect 8bitdo pad! haha
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Also of note is they increased the max volume while using headphones, which is nice since it was pretty low before.

It also said something about paired controller update, so I'm guessing the joy con are updated when connected to the Switch.

I also like the "find the controller" feature, especially since the joy con are so small and can no doubt go missing easily.