Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote: 19 Sep 2017 22:50 Just curious, what is the Switch availability like in your area now that it is late September? In the Twin Cities, every store that I have been in that sells video game stuff has had Switch consoles in stock, either grey or red/blue. (Target, Best Buy, Gamestop) Most of these places seem to always have extra grey cons and grey pro controllers, but I have never seen any different colored joy cons in stock. (Thats why I bought the blue ones in New York last March) Zelda and metroid amiibo are almost impossible to find still.

What's the situation like where you like? It is still weird to me to see actual stock of consoles at stores!
No Switches and no JoyCons in stock anywhere I've looked. Some places get amoeba but they only last a week or so, if that.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I haven't checked stores in the last month really, but I've seen switch units in stores here and there, I've seen it readily available on Amazon too.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Just noticed my switch is slightly warped. Bottom right corner. It bends in just slightly. I can notice it when I hold the console like a hot dog and look down. It doesnt impact anything, but it is worth noting. Anyone else?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote: 09 Oct 2017 02:29 Just noticed my switch is slightly warped. Bottom right corner. It bends in just slightly. I can notice it when I hold the console like a hot dog and look down. It doesnt impact anything, but it is worth noting. Anyone else?
I've heard of this problem, I don't think mine is warped though. Does your dock look a little curved as well?
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I will have to check!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

My friendcode is 0166 8450 4141.

I picked up the console recently. I don't have many games yet. I play it almost entirely as a portable. I feel that it is quite comfy, but I'm not sure I like the library so far. I really wish Nintendo would axe the 3DS already and just treat this as its successor.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: 11 Oct 2017 03:09 My friendcode is 0166 8450 4141.

I picked up the console recently. I don't have many games yet. I play it almost entirely as a portable. I feel that it is quite comfy, but I'm not sure I like the library so far. I really wish Nintendo would axe the 3DS already and just treat this as its successor.
Woo! Welcome aboard!

I'm pretty satisfied with the Switch so far. Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Rabbits have all been great, and it's been a great place to play Indies. I'm absolutely hooked on stardew valley at the moment. Portable play is perfect for it.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote: 11 Oct 2017 03:09 I picked up the console recently. I don't have many games yet. I play it almost entirely as a portable. I feel that it is quite comfy, but I'm not sure I like the library so far. I really wish Nintendo would axe the 3DS already and just treat this as its successor.
I 100% agree about axing the 3DS. Nintendo would be doing themselves a huge service by putting the weight of their handheld ecosystem fully behind the Switch.

Mario + Rabbids is a pretty functional strategy game, so look into that if you haven't yet. It also has Zelda and Picross, which are enough to make me happy between sessions of playing on other consoles, but overall the Switch is still serving a specific market of Nintendo fans.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 12 Oct 2017 13:30
Jordan wrote: 11 Oct 2017 03:09 I picked up the console recently. I don't have many games yet. I play it almost entirely as a portable. I feel that it is quite comfy, but I'm not sure I like the library so far. I really wish Nintendo would axe the 3DS already and just treat this as its successor.
I 100% agree about axing the 3DS. Nintendo would be doing themselves a huge service by putting the weight of their handheld ecosystem fully behind the Switch.

Mario + Rabbids is a pretty functional strategy game, so look into that if you haven't yet. It also has Zelda and Picross, which are enough to make me happy between sessions of playing on other consoles, but overall the Switch is still serving a specific market of Nintendo fans.
I think 2017 was the last semi big year for 3ds. I mean, the big releases this year were metroid and fire emblem, both great, but both remakes. That tells me that 3ds is truly in it's twilight years. I think 3rd party will be the only major supporters of 3ds going forward.

But I agree, would have preferred to play fire emblem and metroid on Switch this year and those two games would have really stacked out the line up.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've been solely playing Disgaea 5. I'll pick up Fire Emblem Warriors on the 20th and Super Mario Odyssey on the 27th. Those games should cover me for a pretty long time. Disgaea 5 has given me dozens of hours of enjoyment by itself. I picked up Breath of the Wild, but haven't even touched it yet. I imagine that whenever I'm feeling tired of the other three, BotW is also a game that will give me dozens of hours of playtime.

When I finish those to my satisfaction, I'll see what else is on the horizon. The main game I'm looking forward to in the near future is Xenoblade, which comes out in December. Barring anything else, though, I will pick up Mario + Rabbids if I need some filler game in between titles. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm also eyeing Pokken Tournament DX and Splatoon 2. I never played the originals. My crappy internet connection is holding me back from seriously considering them over other games though. The Switch could really use a Monster Hunter game. Absent that, I'm looking forward to Xenoblade 2, Project Octopath and maybe the new No More Heroes game. Unless there are big surprises beyond Xenoblade 2, I have a dismal view of the platform's future. Nothing really caught my eye at the most recent games reel that they showed. I'm somewhat concerned that they blew their entire load this year. If there is a drought, it doesn't bother me as much as I was playing a lot of PC and PS3 (Tales of games mainly) prior.

Design-wise, the Switch is what the Wii U should have been. Unlike many others, I loved the Wii U game pad. After awhile I started playing on it exclusively and not even bothering with using my TV. My experience with the Switch has mirrored my experience with the Wii U. Once I started playing on the tablet, I never stopped. The Wii U had some problems though: the idea of having to use both the game pad and the TV simultaneously was stupid. Games which incorporated this idea were flawed by default, as it was simply uncomfortable having to constantly shift focus between the two. The concept works better with the 3DS because both screens are directly in front of you and closer together. On the Wii U, it failed. Secondly, it seemed pointless having to lug around the console just to play on the gamepad. The gamepad felt like it should have been entirely portable, but it wasn't. The Switch solves both of these issues. As a console, I still thought the Wii U had a lot of potential which was, unfortunately, untapped. I feel the same about the Switch. They don't have to make use of any of its controller gimmicks to make the platform work. It works well enough as just an incredibly high quality portable gaming device.