Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Nintendo NX

Post by The Shoemaker »

I agree that having the handheld part be functional is key to success. If this thing gets Pokemon, monster hunter and Yo Kai watch, it will have no problem building up sales - which will be encouraging for third parties.

I agree it's a little big for pocket use. Though I also think 3DS is borderline too big for pocket use. Maybe it will fit in a big coat pocket?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

This is definitely a very large device, but I don't see that as a major deterrent, now that tablets have become a normal thing to see on commutes. I can't see it fitting (reasonably) into anything but a bag or backpack, honestly, and there had better be some smart case designs for the thing right at launch if people are expected to drag it around beyond the couch, but its size isn't overly bothersome to me.

I feel like it's pretty easy to call this the most exciting product Nintendo has revealed in (many, many) years, and even I'm stoked to learn more. This is what the Wii U should have been in the first place.

My biggest concerns are the usual stumbling points for Nintendo: Online functionality and integration, consumer friendly storefronts, build quality, storage, and system architecture (dev friendliness and viability). I'm also concerned that Nintendo has refused to comment on whether the screen has any touch functionality.

Whether this thing has any real parity with PS4/XB1 specs isn't much of a concern to me with this system. If it succeeds in becoming Nintendo's next major portable option, its library will stand on its own. I say this as someone who scoffs at the vast majority of so-called AAA offerings, mind you, and as someone already deeply invested into Playstation.

Barring any huge missteps, I think Nintendo could have a major hit here. I'm eagerly awaiting details.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I am so excited for this!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I agree it's a little big for pocket use. Though I also think 3DS is borderline too big for pocket use. Maybe it will fit in a big coat pocket?
I agree with Vic that it's going for tablet portability moreso than traditional handheld gaming console portability, and that Nintendo should have some sweet cases available for it.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:The best thing about this (for Nintendo) is the name. Switch is a good name, catchy, simple, memorable, tied to the device, and nothing like the Wii & DS brands.
"Make the switch" - if this isn't the catchphrase Nintendo fucked up.

Wii U and DS Physical games won't work on the switch. Kinda sad about the 3ds part. I kinda hope they don't make a Pokemon sun moon on switch as I'd feel cheated for being loyal and buying the 3ds version.

I do hope Virtual Console games transfer over. Playing N64 games on the go would be a dream come true and also a huge selling point.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:The best thing about this (for Nintendo) is the name. Switch is a good name, catchy, simple, memorable, tied to the device, and nothing like the Wii & DS brands.
"Make the switch" - if this isn't the catchphrase Nintendo fucked up.

Wii U and DS Physical games won't work on the switch. Kinda sad about the 3ds part. I kinda hope they don't make a Pokemon sun moon on switch as I'd feel cheated for being loyal and buying the 3ds version.

I do hope Virtual Console games transfer over. Playing N64 games on the go would be a dream come true and also a huge selling point.
If they do put Pokemon Sun/Moon on Switch (and they come for launch) it would be ideal for them to let us know before those games come out.

Perhaps a more likely scenario would be Pokemon Eclipse landing on Switch November next year?
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I like that idea. Also I wonder if the switch/Wii u/3ds will be able to communicate with each other. Considering trading between switch and 3ds may be important.

Also I'm really glad I held off on buying skyrim as I can get it on switch now.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

in b4 Microsoft and Sony refer to it as bait and switch. :lol:

edit-I'm retarded. I meant Microsoft and Sony rather than Nintendo and Sony.
Last edited by Jordan on 23 Oct 2016 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:in b4 Nintendo and Sony refer to it as bait and switch. :lol:
Switch it up with Nintendo!

Mighty Switch Force: Switch Edition!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:I do hope Virtual Console games transfer over.
LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can dream. I just hope the online infrastructure and storefront aren't steaming heaps of garbage. Cross-compatibility and a unified store/VC would be icing on the cake.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming