Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by SkyPikachu »

I really don't understand why that's to much to ask for especially for being loyal to nintendo I don't have to repurchase all my steam games everytime I upgrade to a new computer so why should I with a console. Assuming those games can work on said console. (I can't imagine Nintendo not having VC on switch) Also having a portable N64, Snes, Gamecube, Wii etc etc would be a great selling point.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Slurmee wrote:I really don't understand why that's to much to ask for especially for being loyal to nintendo I don't have to repurchase all my steam games everytime I upgrade to a new computer so why should I with a console. Assuming those games can work on said console. (I can't imagine Nintendo not having VC on switch) Also having a portable N64, Snes, Gamecube, Wii etc etc would be a great selling point.
I don't think anyone would say that you're asking for something crazy, just that you're being naïve hoping for it.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

VictorViper wrote:
Slurmee wrote:I really don't understand why that's to much to ask for especially for being loyal to nintendo I don't have to repurchase all my steam games everytime I upgrade to a new computer so why should I with a console. Assuming those games can work on said console. (I can't imagine Nintendo not having VC on switch) Also having a portable N64, Snes, Gamecube, Wii etc etc would be a great selling point.
I don't think anyone would say that you're asking for something crazy, just that you're being naïve hoping for it.
Why? They did it with the Wii and Wii U also not 100% sure on this but I believe the DSi may have done it with the 3DS too.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Slurmee wrote:
VictorViper wrote:
Why? They did it with the Wii and Wii U also not 100% sure on this but I believe the DSi may have done it with the 3DS too.
VC games for Wii only worked in emulated Wii on Wii U. When the same VC games became available for Wii U, you only got a discount in the first week. As for DSi, yes those are directly playable on 3DS. For both, you needed to go through a lengthy transfer process.

As for the Switch, from what I've seen so far it's a good concept. Nothing new though, I believe tablets can already be streamed to TV for playing games on the big screen. No matter how good or bad the console may be, I'll be waiting for the games to convince me to get one. Zelda won't be that game, as I can play it on Wii U.
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:
VictorViper wrote:
Just because it's Nintendo, online accounts aren't their forte. Both 3DS and Wii U had the previous systems architecture build into them so that they could be backwards compatible. Basically your 3DS had a mini DS inside of it and your Wii U had a mini Wii inside of it. That's why when you play DS/Wii games, all 3DS/Wii U functions are turned off. Switch likely isn't going to have any of that because it would be an unnecessary expense and would bulk up the system, and not to mention its missing the second screen experience that both 3DS and Wii U have.

So no physical BC for sure I'd say. It's hard to see digital working for the same reason. Unless they were really forward thinking with Wii U and 3DS, it's likely the VC games there don't run natively on Switch, which means they will have to redesign them to work. Which means they have to put money into it, which means they'll likely prefer to charge us for the games. Who knows, maybe it's an easy Switch for those games.

I'm worried that it's going to be like Wii U and VC is going to start at zero again and it will take years for the selection to build up to half of what it is now. I think a subscription service would work well for VC. The current price model for games is dated and I'd rather just pay a set amount here and there to play as many classic games as I want.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I need to be able to hit some switch and have the console morph into a Wii U.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:
As for the Switch, from what I've seen so far it's a good concept. Nothing new though, I believe tablets can already be streamed to TV for playing games on the big screen. No matter how good or bad the console may be, I'll be waiting for the games to convince me to get one. Zelda won't be that game, as I can play it on Wii U.
It wasn't just the first week I remember seeing the cheaper price a year after games were released.

I'd be happy to pay $2 or something for any game I still want to play from my Wii U VC.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:
MerlinDrazziw wrote:
It wasn't just the first week I remember seeing the cheaper price a year after games were released.

I'd be happy to pay $2 or something for any game I still want to play from my Wii U VC.
Yeah the discount is always there, on the eShop right now I could upgrade SM64 for $1 to get the Wii U version.

I can definitely see myself getting into VC more this time around than with Wii U. I think NES, SNES and GBA games are perfect for on the go, quick session gaming. I didn't play a lot of the VC games I bought on Wii U as much because I didn't feel like sitting in front of a TV (or using the gamepad) to play them. But, I didn't want to rebuy them on 3DS, or in some cases, they weren't available on 3DS.

And Merlin, I don't think it's about being a new feature, it's about being convenient. Tablets can already switch between tablet and TV, and we've already seen the Vita-ps3/ps4 combo. This looks like a really easy way of switching between the TV and handheld, which is the most important part to nail if you want consumers to use a feature.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Slurmee wrote:
MerlinDrazziw wrote:

Yeah the discount is always there, on the eShop right now I could upgrade SM64 for $1 to get the Wii U version.

I can definitely see myself getting into VC more this time around than with Wii U. I think NES, SNES and GBA games are perfect for on the go, quick session gaming. I didn't play a lot of the VC games I bought on Wii U as much because I didn't feel like sitting in front of a TV (or using the gamepad) to play them. But, I didn't want to rebuy them on 3DS, or in some cases, they weren't available on 3DS.

And Merlin, I don't think it's about being a new feature, it's about being convenient. Tablets can already switch between tablet and TV, and we've already seen the Vita-ps3/ps4 combo. This looks like a really easy way of switching between the TV and handheld, which is the most important part to nail if you want consumers to use a feature.
Also the fact you only need to buy 1 item instead of PS4/Vita is a huge +
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I was never into VC. I think it's a gigantic ripoff. The only instance where it makes any sense imo is with much newer consoles like Gamecube or Wii.