What are you playing right now?

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

After finding the Darkplaces Quake 1 client, I've been playing Quake 1 frequently. Still had a lot of downloaded maps/paks from when I played on my old Mac, but now also downloaded some new ones. Great client btw., has real free mouselook that other clients didn't provide.

Also have Pokémon GO on my iPhone, but had some problems with the app. Got the app running now next to my laptop without problems (so far) and caught 3 Pokémon while typing this post :)

Off course I still play the daily games on my iPad.
Grt. Merlin

A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I'm hunting God-Beasts in Mana 2. The first one was a bit of a pushover but I liked the originality of
Spoiler
the battle taking place in the air atop Flamie's back.
I was told that the game really opened up into a less linear experience at some point. I don't know if this is meant to be it but it still feels quite linear to me. Not that I mind as even with six weeks of holiday stretching ahead of me I still find I haven't the time to remember where I am in more complex RPGs so this is perfect for me right now.

I'm loving the audio in this game. The crunching of feet in the snow and little touches like that really stand out.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Pretty much purely Monster Hunter X these days. I still have a bunch of games on Steam both on backlog and that I would like to try out at some point, but MHX is just so addicting.

That having been said, I actually think 4U is a better game thus far. X does a few things which annoy me a bit.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: That having been said, I actually think 4U is a better game thus far. X does a few things which annoy me a bit.
4U has a much better presentation and sense of progression, with a compelling cast of characters. MH Generations doesn't do it as well, but I guess I wasn't expecting it since it's not a numbered title. The gameplay is at a really good point, but you can tell definitely tell the maps they brought back are dated. But at the same time I like that because they brought back old maps almost exclusively you get a huge number of maps. At least that's what it seems like so far.

The upgrade and Palico system is also a bit jaring at first, but actually work better than in 4U. Really the worst parts so far are 1) the wonky progression of giving you basically all four villages at once 2) the excess of gathering/small monster quests early game.

I've also been playing more Fallout 4 - just here and there now. Might be getting burnt out but mostly distracted by other games.
Claytone wrote: If you like Fallout 4 at all, I would recommend 1, 2, and New Vegas. I've gone into detail in the BGE threads about why I think Bethesda's takes are not as good (and obviously that's a contentious opinion, and I don't want to imply or say that you shouldn't enjoy the game or anything like that), so I'll spare you that here, but suffice it to say that if you like FO4, you should find the Black Isle and Obsidian games to be just fantastic. Not to mention all of them can be had pretty cheap these days.

With respect to experience/leveling, generally in Fallout, you want to focus on a specific build rather than trying to be good at everything. You're expected to not level some stats at all, and be really good at other things. I think doing that will improve your experience.
I didn't even know Bethesda didn't make the previous games! Yeah I'll have to narrow my focus now in terms of leveling up, it's too bad you can't reallot your exerience points. Might try and focus on the skill that offers lock picking.

I've also been playing a lot of Pokemon Go: Currently level 13 with 42 Pokemon in the dex. Evolved Evevee into Flareon and Jolteon, just need Vaporeon now. Game has definitely got me walking more.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Fallout 4 - So this is embarrassing. It took me until level 46 to realize you don't have to level up perks in a linear fashion, you can pick and choose which you want based on your primary skill levels. I don't want to say I wasted 20ish levels on perks I did not need, but I definitely could have used a lot of perks much earlier in the game, like advanced lock picking/hacking, medic, local leader ect. Sucks I just realized now :p There are only a few level ups that were truely wasted, the rest are useful in some way, but I would have chosen them later on rather than earlier.

The game looks to be a relatively easy platinum considering my progress so far, so I'm focusing on that now as I head into the final stetches of the game. Only one I'm worried about is getting max happiness in a settlement, which I hear can be a bit tedious and brought down by glitches.

Monster Hunter Generations - Been mostly playing this one while I'm out as I'm primarily focusing on finishing Fallout 4. Just about at 4 star single player, just ranked up to 2 star multiplayer.

Pokemon Go - Still enjoying it, level 16 now with around 60 Pokemon in the dex. I ran into an Abra twice by my house, both times I through a single pokeball and Abra escaped and immediately ran away. Definitely a tough, and rare catch.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Fallout 4 - Finished the main story quests and faction quests as far as trophies are concerned, so I think that's it for me. 3 trophies away from plat but I don't think it's worth it considering it will probably take hours of trial and error to get a settlement to max happiness. Definitely enjoyed what I played though, dedicated about 200 hours to the game. Like I said before, disappointed I didn't understand the level up system until over 100 hours in, lots of things I could have done there.

The last hundred hours of my experience was also haunted by this weird audio bug where no matter where I was the game wouldn't stop playing the battle music. I put the in game radio on to stop this, so I became pretty familiar with the old timey soundtrack the game features. The "ending" was surprisingly, maybe unsurprisingly, anticlimactic/generic/vague. You make your own story in this game so there's not much to say at the end of it. Perhaps I was expecting more than a "we did it!" at the end of each story. I suppose they can't change too much since they want you to continue playing after the story's end.

Mutant Mudds Super Challenge - Still digging away at this one. Almost done world 4 (out of maybe 5 worlds), pretty tough stuff. So far I've gone for completion on every level though. Will most likely skip finding the secret characters. I just found out how you collect them and I definitely could have found a lot of them by now if I knew what to do when I encountered them. For that reason I probably won't be going back to each level to find the characters. I did find Rusty from SteamWorld Dig though so I'm cool with that.

Pokémon GO - Level 19 now, about 62 Pokémon in the dex? Still enjoying the game, continue to see new Pokémon every once in a while just as I'm starting to think I'll never find anything but Pidgey's. Hoping it doesn't take them too long to add trading in, would be a nice helpful feature for collecting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Now that I've finished Fallout I'm not too sure what to play now. I'm okay with keeping Monster Hunter casual for now, kind of saving it for when school starts up again. I still need to work my way through Bloodborne and Witcher 3, not to mention I haven't even unwrapped Xenoblade Chronicles X yet. Those games are too much of an investment for now.

Decided to start playing Mario and Luigi Paper Jam on 3DS. I always enjoyed the series and have lots of nostalgia towards Super Star Saga. So far it's not bad, an adequate time waster. I've always liked the battle mechanics and thought Dream Team expanded them in a good way. This game seems to follow a similar path to that game, but now adding Paper Mario in as a mechanically unique 3rd partner. One thing I'm not sure how to feel about is the amount of Toad hunting mini games there are. Seems like the entire game so far has involved you looking for Toads, no joke. It probably won't beat the last couple games in the series but I'll stick it through. The games are always at the very least enjoyable.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I just started No Man's Sky last night. It's pretty good so far. I suspect I'll be playing it for a while—at least until Rise of Iron comes out on 20 September. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

After wanting to play it again for a few years now, I downloaded Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. Although I would like the next 3D Mario to be in the style of Galaxy/Sunshine/Kazooie, I do hope this style of 3D Mario sticks around too. The isometric 2D-3D gameplay hybrid just works so well on a handheld. This game in general is just a great, quick Mario experience. Might be a tad too easy, but still fun. Working on completing the final special world now.

Also still playing Mario and Luigi Paper Jam. This game turned out to be a pretty enjoyable experience. They did a great job with the gameplay this time around, especially in terms of keeping things interesting and not spending too long in one particular area. I think the game would have been better without the paper stuff, but I do like the interactions between the Bowser Jrs.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Got several games ongoing.

Playing AM2R on my Mac, a great unofficial Metroid 2D game. Also revisiting some Quake 1 mods/maps that I've collected in the past (and finding some new ones online).

On Wii U I'm still into Lego City Undercover. Story is beat, but there's still a lot to unlock and it's fun to play (load times are bad though). Tried Oddworld a couple of times, still on the first chapter having a hard time not killing own kind.

The 3DS hasn't been getting much attention, will have to get back to some games on there.

Finally, on iOS I play the usual daily games. Supercell has lost me with their recent updates (reversal of chat was the worst). Found some other puzzle games to play, Gardenscapes (Playrix) has replaced the Candy Saga games. Pokémon GO is still on my iPhone, but I only open it a few times each week (when I go for a short walk).
Grt. Merlin