Monster Hunter Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Monster Hunter Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

With more and more Monster Hunter titles coming out recently I figure it's more effective to have one inclusive thread. We have Monster Hunter Generations coming out this July, which looks to be pretty sweet. But we also got a new trailer for Monster Hunter Stories today:

I really really hope this is released worldwide. It looks sweet. Turn based combat and riding around on a Rathalos while exploring? Count me in. Based on Capcom's history they usually don't release MH games worldwide until about a year after a game's release - but this game doesn't really compete with the main series so maybe they'll decide to release it earlier here - if they ever do.

They game is also getting its own line of Amiibo, so it's hard to imagine Nintendo of America passing that up.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Re: Monster Hunter Discussion

Post by Jordan »

I'll probably be getting X when it comes out because my buddy from MH4U is encouraging me. To be honest, it doesn't look thrilling to me though. I've heard mixed stories about it from people playing in Japanese. It sounds like the game is very imba in contrast to 4u.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

I might be holding out for a price-drop on X since I haven't gotten very far in 4 (first volcano mission) -- 4 is great, but since my free time is unpredictable and I don't know anyone else playing through it, my enthusiasm has dampened a bit.

I did play the hell out of 3 and 3U, and I love the feel of a well-executed hunt (or even a poorly-executed one where you come out with a few bruises), especially when playing with others.

One thing I like about 4 is that it seems fairly well-balanced weapon wise (other than insect glaive). I like the gunlance and have been enjoying wyvern-firing the crap out of unsuspecting monsters.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I'll probably be getting X when it comes out because my buddy from MH4U is encouraging me. To be honest, it doesn't look thrilling to me though. I've heard mixed stories about it from people playing in Japanese. It sounds like the game is very imba in contrast to 4u.
Surprised to hear that! Though I haven't really looked into the game at all, just the trailers we've gotten. Trying not to spoil much. The only disappointing thing I've heard is that the game is 30fps instead of 60fps when playing on a new 3DS as well as a regular 3DS, 4U ad the better framerate on new 3DS. I'm willing to check it out as more of a spin off. But honestly I probably would have been okay if we went another 6 months or so without a MH, still have some things to do in 4U.
Niahak wrote:I might be holding out for a price-drop on X since I haven't gotten very far in 4 (first volcano mission) -- 4 is great, but since my free time is unpredictable and I don't know anyone else playing through it, my enthusiasm has dampened a bit.

I did play the hell out of 3 and 3U, and I love the feel of a well-executed hunt (or even a poorly-executed one where you come out with a few bruises), especially when playing with others.

One thing I like about 4 is that it seems fairly well-balanced weapon wise (other than insect glaive). I like the gunlance and have been enjoying wyvern-firing the crap out of unsuspecting monsters.
The game is definitely very balanced, some weapons are more popular, but you really can' go wrong anywhere. I'd like to give gunlance and lance another shot as I haven't tried them too much, I've yet to try any of the bows yet either. Was waiting for when I get bored. My weapons are Charge Blade, Switch Axe, Insect Glaive, Longsword and a bit of Hunting Horn.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Niahak wrote:I might be holding out for a price-drop on X since I haven't gotten very far in 4 (first volcano mission) -- 4 is great, but since my free time is unpredictable and I don't know anyone else playing through it, my enthusiasm has dampened a bit.

IMO charge blade is the OP one, though insect glaive is admittedly very strong as well. Glaive is actually my favorite weapon though. Later on you will find that it's not just a pole vaulting machine and that that particular mechanic falls off pretty hard. It's really more about extracting the color buffs and going to town with combos. I thought great sword was a lot of fun too (as usual). One weapon that surprised me in 4U was SNS. IMO it's much better than it was in Tri because you can do a lot with the new mounting mechanics. There were some enemies I really enjoyed fighting with SNS, such as the Magalas. In the Tri series games I liked the xbow the best, but I hated underwater battles. I wouldn't mind a return of those so long as they reworked them substantially.

I got as far as Gog in 4U and then abruptly stopped. I actually never fought Gog because at that point I kind of was weary of the game. I had actually done two playthroughs before I got to Gog in my second, so that was a factor.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: I got as far as Gog in 4U and then abruptly stopped. I actually never fought Gog because at that point I kind of was weary of the game. I had actually done two playthroughs before I got to Gog in my second, so that was a factor.
I'm essentially just a little bit past Gog with 245ish hours. I think I beat him at the end of last summer, and ever since then I've been playing on and off, mostly finishing up low/righ rank Multiplayer quests while on the bus. So I actually haven't progressed too much past that point. I should probably try and finish up the high rank quests using a bow or something I haven't tried before.

Currently I'm kind of bumbling around trying to get materials for honing but it can be tough to get the right people together to tackle Apex monsters.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Made a bit more progress in 4U. I faced the fatalis for the first time yesterday, that was a pretty cool fight. I think that was the last unique monster for me to fight in the game, so that's neat. I also finished up the Caravaneer's Challenge which I've been sitting on for a long while. Grinded Akantor for a while to make an armor set with +2 Expert, +2 Evasion, Handicraft and +2 Earplugs. Pretty basic set, I mostly just wanted an easy set with earplugs and handicraft, defence wise it's exactly the same as my current set. Should be good for my hunting horn. I'll probably make the Gog Hunting Horn soon, just want to get some zenith gems for honing first. HR 135 now.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I bought Monster Hunter X and had a chance to play it for a little bit. The styles make a big difference because they change the entire moveset of a weapon. Thus far, I'm being conventional and preferring guild style. The arts are neat. Having to actually worry about sharpness again is jarring. :lol:
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I bought Monster Hunter X and had a chance to play it for a little bit. The styles make a big difference because they change the entire moveset of a weapon. Thus far, I'm being conventional and preferring guild style. The arts are neat. Having to actually worry about sharpness again is jarring. :lol:
I know, it's like two hits and I'm bouncing off these little monsters! Me and my buddy actually failed the first few quests we tried today!

I tried out aerial a little bit, it's a lot of fun. Interesting give and take system of limiting your hunter arts, combos and long dodge all for the ability to jump whenever you want. I actually tried it out with the Lance and it's crazy how much movement it gives the weapon.

I'm very early on still, have only done a couple multiplayer quests and still collection mushrooms in single player.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I really like the mobility of aerial for switch axe. Before I played MHX, I actually had bought MH3u and played switch axe a little bit in that game. However, i dropped the game before getting far. I did like the switch axe gameplay though so I decided to go back to it. The aerial style helps the weapon a lot since the switch axe was always a low mobility weapon that required a lot of dodge rolling to get into position. Additionally, the weapon hits a pretty wide swathe from mid-air so it's pretty well suited for the aerial style.

Aside from switch axe, I'm also a fan of guild sns because...well, I liked it in 4U.

What's deterring me from going back to my old favorite, the insect glaive, is the whole system of upgrading kinsects and the weapon. I'm not sure I can be assed with that this time around. :lol: