Mini-NES

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Mini-NES

Post by Kong Wen »

Nintendo's officially releasing one of those cheapy boxes that comes pre-loaded with a handful of games. The "Classic Mini-NES" - it comes with 30 games and a Classic Controller shaped like the original NES controller. It takes everything good about the Wii (some VC games) and makes it better by putting it into an NES-shaped shell.

It's coming out on 11 November (so really 12 November).

Here's the full list of games:

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Mini-NES

Post by Kreegs »

This is something that I actually might buy. The price isn't too crazy, and it would be a perfect item to have around on my shelf.

The picture and sound should be top notch, and there shouldn't be any lag.

The list of games is good, which some of my favorites including Punch Out!! three Marios, Mega Man 2, and both Zeldas, as well as some other titles.

I am typically a purist when it comes to retro gaming, but if this thing is actually made by Nintendo then it has the potential to be well done. I will most likely wait for reviews of this thing before I buy.

Does anyone think that this will cause people to wait in line again? Will they need to make more due to a high demand? How popular will this thing be?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

It'll be pretty popular among 30+ year olds, especially any with kids, because it will bring back that Christmas nostalgia of playing games with family.

It'll be good enough quality, since it's made by Nintendo and it's basically just Virtual Console in a box.

One of the main perks of buying this is the NES-style Classic Controller that you can use with your other Wii games. The Classic Controller is also being sold separately for $10.

I already have these games on VC but I'll probably buy this too because it's cute, cheap, nostalgia, and easy to hook up on another TV.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Seems a bit unusual that the system includes a USB cable to power it... which requires an AC adapter that isn't included.

That said, I'd probably pick this up if I didn't already have the games that interest me on Wii and elsewhere. Great little package though. I suspect they'll sell like hotcakes.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

VictorViper wrote:Seems a bit unusual that the system includes a USB cable to power it... which requires an AC adapter that isn't included.
Using USB instead of say a 3DS power supply sort of implied that you can sync it up to a Wii U to install more games into it but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Still it's a neat bargain bundle of games including third party titles & be better quality than most Plug'N'Play consoles especially Atgames megadrive consoles.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

kawaiipikachu wrote:
VictorViper wrote:Seems a bit unusual that the system includes a USB cable to power it... which requires an AC adapter that isn't included.
Using USB instead of say a 3DS power supply sort of implied that you can sync it up to a Wii U to install more games into it but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Still it's a neat bargain bundle of games including third party titles & be better quality than most Plug'N'Play consoles especially Atgames megadrive consoles.
I'm sure it was a simple matter of keeping costs down. Presumably it'll take a standard half-amp AC adapter, which at least means finding one will be easy and reasonably cheap (if not already on hand from a cell phone, etc.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

VictorViper wrote:
kawaiipikachu wrote:

I'm sure it was a simple matter of keeping costs down. Presumably it'll take a standard half-amp AC adapter, which at least means finding one will be easy and reasonably cheap (if not already on hand from a cell phone, etc.
That may be the case in itself but with Nintendo's stringent history of using proprietary connectors it does seem strange for them to go for USB.
Anyway as for myself I got plenty of compatible chargers to use.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Surprisingly great collection of games on it. Saves states are a definite selling point.

Of course the question that is now running through the heads of most potential UK buyers:

Will Nintendo really be dumb enough to ruin all that goodwill by pre-loading it with the squashed 50hz versions?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:Of course the question that is now running through the heads of most potential UK buyers:
Will Nintendo really be dumb enough to ruin all that goodwill by pre-loading it with the squashed 50hz versions?
People don't need to ask that question, because we already have the answer: these are the VC versions. Are the VC versions still squashed 50hz versions? If so, then this unit will be loaded with squashed 50hz versions.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Kong Wen wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:Of course the question that is now running through the heads of most potential UK buyers:
People don't need to ask that question, because we already have the answer: these are the VC versions. Are the VC versions still squashed 50hz versions? If so, then this unit will be loaded with squashed 50hz versions.
I honestly don't know. The last new Nintendo console I bought was the Wii which wasn't using HDMI leads.

Some of the games included like Final Fantaasy were never given PAL releases originally so were released onto the Wii VC in 60hz.

I recall hearing that Nintendo "fixed" the Wii-U release of F-zero to make it run at full speed.

I don't know what the current state of whatever currently exists as the virtual cosole is in PAL regions.