Mini-NES

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Mini-NES

Post by Kong Wen »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I honestly don't know. The last new Nintendo console I bought was the Wii which wasn't using HDMI leads.
Do any of our European Wii U users want to chime in?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Merlin would be the one to ask, I vaguely remember hearing some of the Wii U VC releases were upgraded to 60hz.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Will have to check with what I have. I know Super Metroid isn't 60Hz on Wii U, as it has those stupid french/german subtitles. But that's a SNES game (nN3DS should have the 60Hz SNES games), not a NES game that features on this mini NES. Can't recall if I have any NES VC games on Wii U (got some on Wii and 3DS), but I don't think it would be 60Hz.

With Nintendo always saying they want to give the players the same feeling of playing VC games like the originals, I don't think they'll change that on the mini NES. So it is a safe bet that we get a european mini NES with 50Hz games...
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just checked on the Wii U eShop and it seems a lot of NES games are the US version. You can check it on the eShop site.

Gives some hope for the mini NES getting these same 60Hz versions.
Grt. Merlin

A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Just checked on the Wii U eShop and it seems a lot of NES games are the US version. You can check it on the eShop site.

They won't have a choice with some games. If they intend to give us Final Fantasy then their is no PAL version. Same goes for Super C (It was Probotector over here). These games were released as 60hz "imports" on the PAL VC.
The real difference maker here could be that this is designed for HD TV's as I seem to recall that 50hz games don't play nicely on modern TV's.

On that note: Can you still hook this up to ordinary TV's?

Since I live in Asia now, I'd have to import one of these anyway, so I'd just get the NTSC version but I'll still be pissed of on behalf of Europeans everywhere if Nintendo gimp yet another classic game release.

(Side note: Super Metroid did actually receive some optimization at the time to partially speed correct it.)

(Side note 2: That e-shop is horrible. The search function seems broken to the point that I couldn't even locate any NES games even when ticking only the NES box.)
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
MerlinDrazziw wrote:Just checked on the Wii U eShop and it seems a lot of NES games are the US version. You can check it on the eShop site.

They won't have a choice with some games. If they intend to give us Final Fantasy then their is no PAL version. Same goes for Super C (It was Probotector over here). These games were released as 60hz "imports" on the PAL VC.
The real difference maker here could be that this is designed for HD TV's as I seem to recall that 50hz games don't play nicely on modern TV's.
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:On that note: Can you still hook this up to ordinary TV's?
If it's only HDMI means the only way is via adaptors, which most are expensive due to the need to convert the signal format.
A Beta Fu7ture wrote:Since I live in Asia now, I'd have to import one of these anyway, so I'd just get the NTSC version but I'll still be pissed of on behalf of Europeans everywhere if Nintendo gimp yet another classic game release.

(Side note: Super Metroid did actually receive some optimization at the time to partially speed correct it.)

(Side note 2: That e-shop is horrible. The search function seems broken to the point that I couldn't even locate any NES games even when ticking only the NES box.)
A lot of games on the eshop does mention "This is the North American version of the game" which sort of implies 60Hz.
Last edited by kawaiipikachu on 18 Jul 2016 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

kawaiipikachu wrote:
A Beta Fu7ture wrote:Since I live in Asia now, I'd have to import one of these anyway, so I'd just get the NTSC version but I'll still be pissed of on behalf of Europeans everywhere if Nintendo gimp yet another classic game release.

A lot of games on the eshop does mention "This is the North American version of the game" which sort of implies 60Hz.
Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Legend of Zelda, Legend of Zelda II, Ninja Gaiden, etc., all are US versions on the Wii U eShop. Would be harder to find a non US version I think.

As for the eShop: I could select only the Wii U NES games, but I didn't search by name. This web version still can be improved, but it does work.
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
I don't know all the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it only has a HDMI port. Considering it doesn't even come with a power adapter (must use USB) I'm thinking they went super minimal with this.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
I don't know all the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it only has a HDMI port. Considering it doesn't even come with a power adapter (must use USB) I'm thinking they went super minimal with this.
If it only has HDMI this this adaptor here if you want to plug it into an older TV.

Still if you got a really old TV you could go all out like the guy in this video here.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

That was much too long of a video for what he did, but it was actually pretty neat!
I intend to live forever, or die trying