Pokémon GO

A place to discuss mobile gaming across all tablet and smartphone platforms, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Pokémon GO

Post by The Shoemaker »

Been having a couple issues since the app updated. Mainly twice today I encountered New Pokemon I hadn't seen before and after tapping them to battle the game would immediately semi-freeze and the Pokemon would disappear. Definitely disappointing.

Other than that still enjoying it. Just about level 19 now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Iran recently banned Pokemon Go. I guess they were worried about reports of large numbers of captured Persians.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I deleted the app about 2 weeks ago the game seemed to have no depth and I couldn't for the life of me understand how to track Pokemon down using the radar thing. It felt like a shitty version of the normal series once the cool fun factor wore off.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Slurmee wrote:I deleted the app about 2 weeks ago the game seemed to have no depth and I couldn't for the life of me understand how to track Pokemon down using the radar thing. It felt like a shitty version of the normal series once the cool fun factor wore off.
Agreed - they really need to add new features to keep people interested. The really popular places are still packed, but I don't see as many of my neighbors out catching pokémon.

The wife and I are still playing, but we're kind of using it as an excuse to go out on long walks (I have a work wellness program that associates a small bonus with making certain weekly step progress, so it's good to have that excuse). Every once in a while we'll go to one of the pokestop regions in town, but it's becoming less frequent.

The latest version of the app is a lot more stable (power-saving mode is fixed for me, no freezes on 'mon capture, bonuses reinstated) so they've got the base there. They just need to add some complexity to keep things interesting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm still enjoying the app, still use it pretty much every day. Ever since the last update it has been much easier to use. Much more stable, power saver has been great. I also noticed I'm seeing a much greater variety of Pokemon now, and the tracking feature actually works. I actually found an Onix and Tauros in my house the other day!

The main thing for me is that the app is secondary to me actually roaming around. I like to use it when I go for a run, walk to the store, pop it open when I'm somewhere else in the city... Rarely do I go somewhere with the sole purpose of playing the game. So for me, it's just nice to go through my regular activities while hatching eggs and getting the odd Pokemon.

Definitely ready for some new stuff! Not sure when they'll add a new generation. Probably adding trading and other features before that.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Yeah, the stability is nice. Too bad they haven't done anything to fix the bugged-out poker man escape rates that were introduced 2-3 updates ago.

If I'm walking around, I like to do it without my phone out.

I don't really "play" this much anymore. It doesn't help that there's no real point or goal. You can take a gym to get some poker coins that you can use to buy some junk... maybe an egg to get you more experience even though levelling up past 20 doesn't really do anything for you, or maybe an incubator to allow you to hatch more eggs for meaningless experience or some poker men you're just going to put in the meat grinder anyway. And then you can't defend your gym because the next person comes along and throws waves of poker men at your AI-controller guy and dumps potions on them until you're ousted.

Catching 'em all is a goal, I guess.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: If I'm walking around, I like to do it without my phone out
I always take my phone along for music or podcasts anyways, so that's not an issue for me.

Forgot to mention that I don't use gyms at all. Im level 22 and my highest Pokemon is 1200, but gyms generally have Pokemon around 2000-2200. I haven't used any stardust, but I figure there's no point until I'm at higher levels.

For me it's all about catching em all. I have about 79 Pokemon now I think. Can't wait for trading to make it even easier.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Forgot to mention that I don't use gyms at all. Im level 22 and my highest Pokemon is 1200, but gyms generally have Pokemon around 2000-2200. I haven't used any stardust, but I figure there's no point until I'm at higher levels.

For me it's all about catching em all. I have about 79 Pokemon now I think. Can't wait for trading to make it even easier.
Yeah, it sounds like we play similarly. I don't really play gyms either. I do sneak a guy into an empty slot in a gym on the way to work if I have the chance, and immediately cash out, so I make something like 20 coins a week. :lol:
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Still got the game on my iPhone. Only play it when I go for a little walk (to an appointment). The walks are only once or twice a week, so I progress at a very slow pace. Sometimes I'll go out of my way to visit some pokéstops to get more balls, I keep running out of them :( Guess they changed the use of pokéballs at some point, where you lose every ball you throw (and miss). Had 12 this morning, caught 3 pokémon on my walk but ended up without any balls when I got back home.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Niantic announced at the Apple event today that they're bringing Pokémon GO to Apple Watch. Now the dwindling post-fad playerbase can play it on a device no one owns! :thumbs-up emoji: