Pokémon GO

A place to discuss mobile gaming across all tablet and smartphone platforms, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Pokémon GO

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

The game is out here now. I've downloaded it on my iPhone 4S, but game servers are down... Going to try it on another iDevice as well, should work with same G+ account.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I had to turn battery mode off as it was freezing my game every couple of steps. After I got 1.5km into my evening walk with 0.1km of progress, I switched battery mode off and then didn't run into another freeze (related to that problem) for the rest of the walk.

I did find a new glitch where the poker man tracker apparently stops updating itself, continuing to show old (and often unavailable) poker men that don't reflect what's really nearby. I close out the app and restart and then it updates the tracker with completely new men and begins auto-updating itself again.

I ran into another new glitch last night too but I forget what it was now. I'm like the best beta-tester ever! If there's something broken about the game, I'll apparently find it!

Anyway, buggy software aside, I did manage to hatch an Eevee out of my 10km egg, and I also caught my first Magikarp and my first Jigglypuff. I was briefly tracking a Pikachu around my neighbourhood, but the tracker stopped working so I had no real way to guess whether I was going in the right direction, and by the time I realized it was glitching out and rebooted, he was gone.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Interesting piece about a hidden gem in the Pokémon GO EULA: Opt out of Binding Arbitration
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Still haven't been able to start the game. Possibly due to a lmit on new users? After logging in on my G+ account, the game says that the servers are down (or too busy?). But my nephew could still log in and play. He first started with the app downloaded from New Sealands store, but now has the dutch stores version (same as me). Anyway, my battery already drained from trying to get into the game. :(
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:I thought I'd give battery saving mode a try after Niahak's post, and I ran into two new errors. One is that the screen will get stuck in darkened mode, even when I raise the phone. I can still back out of the app to do other stuff on the phone, but when I switch back to the game it's still a darkened screen and I can't interface with it. The second is that sometimes the game will just stop accepting input while on the main screen. I can still see my avatar walking around, but I can't click on anything, can't get into the menus, etc. Both of these scenarios require the game to be fully closed out and rebooted.
This is what happens to me 90% of the time. I wonder if turning battery saver off would improve my experience.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Little progress .. could log on this morning and was presented the 3 starters. As I want to avoid them long enough to get Pikachu and I didn't have time to start walking, I shut the app down. Now I've created a Pokémon club trainer account, as I read it comes with some extras. Logging in worked well, but still no time to go walking. Have to go to a birthday later today, will open the app and go driving (should be far enough away to get Pikachu as a starter). Fwiw: screenname is MerlinDrazziw.
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Doesn't battery save mode limit your processing speeds? That would explain the freezing perhaps? (Aside from crazy busy servers)

I have one of those portable phone charging cylinders that is actually pretty tiny and really cheap. I used it in Tokyo when my phone's battery would mega drain trying to connect to the portable wifi box we were carrying around. I'm sure there are bigger and better ones, but I would recommend it. NOTE: I currently use an iPhone SE.

This one https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... ne+charger
I intend to live forever, or die trying
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Kreegs wrote:Doesn't battery save mode limit your processing speeds? That would explain the freezing perhaps? (Aside from crazy busy servers)
Well it dims the screen & replaced the map with the "Pokémon Go" logo when you hold the device upsidown.
Kreegs wrote:I have one of those portable phone charging cylinders that is actually pretty tiny and really cheap. I used it in Tokyo when my phone's battery would mega drain trying to connect to the portable wifi box we were carrying around. I'm sure there are bigger and better ones, but I would recommend it. NOTE: I currently use an iPhone SE.

This one https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... ne+charger
My battery bank stop outputting power for some reason when I was out saturday while Playing Pokémon GO so I had to stop playing.

I think of replacing it with this bank here which looks reasonable & hopefully my next big season would be longer & less server issues.
Plus it's good to have one in my bag ready just in case ready weather Pokémon related or not.
Last edited by kawaiipikachu on 19 Jul 2016 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Finally got my starter, Pikachu (I think). App crashed after catching it, but I could see other pokémon after a restart. Also walked by a pokéstop where I got 3 pokéballs after a spin. Saw a fish like creature*) behind me, but didn't want to walk back at that time. Further along the way, I found a gym. With me being a lvl. 1 trainer, I had no bussiness there. But I saw a Staryu closeby, only the app crashed again when I tapped on it :x After waiting for a while to see if the app would reconnect, I went home without being able to catch any other pokémon.

Battery was fully charged when I first logged in on the app, already at 82% when I started walking (first had a cup of coffee) and was at 34% when I got back home. App was working for about 15 min. of the 40 min. walk .. it seems it used up 9MB of data, so that's not so bad.

UI for logging in and showing alerts can be improved a lot. Login screen hides the password field behind the keyboard and alert texts go behind game info texts (so you can't read them well).

Hope the experience gets better along the way, but for now it's just terrible.

[edit]
*) It was a Magikarp (looked it up on the pokédex)
[/edit]
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Regarding Magikarp: you will need to catch 301 of them, and send 300 to the professor to evolve it. And you better believe I'm gonna try, assuming the game keeps me interested beyond this week.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.