Pokémon GO

A place to discuss mobile gaming across all tablet and smartphone platforms, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Pokémon GO

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:Regarding Magikarp: you will need to catch 301 of them, and send 300 to the professor to evolve it. And you better believe I'm gonna try, assuming the game keeps me interested beyond this week.
You need 400 candies to evolve Magikarp, but you don't exactly need to send 400 of them to the meat grinder, since you get a handful of candy every time you catch one too.

Turns out we have a gym up the street from our campus. Not close enough to get from within the building, but a very short walk. I headed up there this afternoon and captured it, and by the time I got back to my desk it had been captured again! It's changing hands pretty routinely now, so I think I'm going to wait till another Blue Team person takes it and I'll offer reinforcements.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kong Wen wrote:
VictorViper wrote:Regarding Magikarp: you will need to catch 301 of them, and send 300 to the professor to evolve it. And you better believe I'm gonna try, assuming the game keeps me interested beyond this week.
You need 400 candies to evolve Magikarp, but you don't exactly need to send 400 of them to the meat grinder, since you get a handful of candy every time you catch one too.
Yeah, that was an error on my part - you need 101 magikarp. Each capture nets 3 candy, plus one extra for sending it to the professor. That's 400 candy, plus one extra karp for the evo, and bang! Gyarados FTW!
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

That's my goal. Saw a Gyarados on top of a gym today, was very impressed.

Went downtown for some Poke hunting with friends. It was great, so many stops and lures everywhere. Got some good Pokemon too.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Somebody locally just took over a gym with a 2000CP Gyarados. I'm gonna say that's cool, and kinda sad all at once.

Anyway, no chance this will be more than a very passing fad for me. Too much dedication required for... well let's face it, zero reward.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Probably walked 9km today, hatched a Vulpix, Ekans and 3 more eggs under a km away. Level 10 now with 35 Pokemon in the dex. I'm really running out of Pokeballs, keep despreately sticking around the 3-10 range :p I'm enjoying it, but also wondering how long it will last. It's nice in that I don't feel like there's a puawall, and I don't really see any upcoming paywalls if I'm just focusing on hatching eggs and searching for new Pokemon. I really haven't invested into any gyms yet as I don't have a team ready.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just a question about power up and evolving a Pokémon .. what's better? : max power up before evolving or evolving when it's possible?

I just evolved my highest cp Pidgey to Pidgeotto, but it wasn't maxed with the power up option. Did I get a lesser Pidgeotto in return or will its strength progress the same?

Pidgeys and Rattatas are common in my area (during the day anyway), but I managed to catch a (for me) new one: Spearow. Pretty neat that there a different bird pokémons around here, when we have troubles with larger birds irl (too many pidgeons and magpies).
Grt. Merlin

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I've been playing it a bit. Haven't really worked out how to search for pokemon I usually just walk around until my phone vibrates to tell me there's a pokemon. It's really not that good of a game but something about it is really fun.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Just a question about power up and evolving a Pokémon .. what's better? : max power up before evolving or evolving when it's possible?

I just evolved my highest cp Pidgey to Pidgeotto, but it wasn't maxed with the power up option. Did I get a lesser Pidgeotto in return or will its strength progress the same?
Higher CP when you evolve will result in a higher CP potential poker man. But ultimately it doesn't really matter because as soon as you level up, you're going to start finding poker men in the wild with higher CP than the evolved one you just got. Most of your poker men are destined for the meat grinder, and evolving early is really just a way to get xp.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote:Higher CP when you evolve will result in a higher CP potential poker man. But ultimately it doesn't really matter because as soon as you level up, you're going to start finding poker men in the wild with higher CP than the evolved one you just got. Most of your poker men are destined for the meat grinder, and evolving early is really just a way to get xp.
Tnx. Did search for it also. For my level of trainer, evolving is good for XP and pokédex .. higher level trainers benefit from power up first.
Grt. Merlin

Niahak

Post by Niahak »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: Tnx. Did search for it also. For my level of trainer, evolving is good for XP and pokédex .. higher level trainers benefit from power up first.
Higher level trainer -> higher max CP for pokemon (so a 'maxed out' pokemon at lvl4 may not be maxed out when you hit level 5).

What KW said is definitely true - you will find higher CP pokemon later, although you may not necessarily catch that higher CP pokemon when you find it! We found a CP945 Pigeot outside our house yesterday and that sucker was really tough to catch and broke out of a few balls. Was worth the risk, though, since it's now my second toughest.

Weedles and Pidgeys are great candidates to evolve (only once though!) since they're cheap and evolving gives lots of XP.