No Man's Sky

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

No Man's Sky

Post by Kong Wen »

Released on PS4 this Tuesday, coming to PC this week: who's been playing No Man's Sky?

Let's use this thread to share stories of our adventures. :) Have you named and uploaded any interesting discoveries? Have you shot up any space pirates? Have you become a friend to the alien colonists? Are you a mining millionaire? Have you been travelling the galaxy or mapping out your homeworld?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Drauks
Aspirant

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Drauks »

I've been spending most of my time on Gek worlds. I have yet to kill anyone or thing except that one time by accident when I was mining asteroids. Honest!

I've a nature to try to stockpile things, but with the pre-order ship, that's not going so swimmingly.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I purchased my second ship (3rd total) last night, a pink and white grasshopper-like ship with 24 units of inventory space. I uploaded my home planet with 100% discovery (should be noted this is a checklist of notables, not actually 100% discovery), which paid off huge; I think I got 500,000 credits.

I'm now just perusing the other two planets in my home system and making liberal use of a space station buying plutonium at 200% market avg.

Warp happens today.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I just took off in my first ship without examining a single thing on my home planet (although I did shoot down a few Sentinels while mining for necessary materials), snapped up just enough resources to put together anything required in my ship, and then blasted off towards the next system. Once I got there, I think I purchased more warp materials, and then blasted off towards the next system without even looking at anything on any of these planets.

Soon after arriving in the third system, I was shot down by 5 pirates. I was pretty outgunned. Good thing I only had 23,000 units on me.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning, on that last note, that the space combat / dogfighting isn't very good in this game. It could be patched up, as it sounds like a lot of things will be over time, but it's currently not a very satisfying thing to spend your time doing. :)
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I may have screwed myself. The ship I traded for has an empty warp drive. The game hands you your first elements to make the fuel, but I have no idea where to find or buy it now! Uh oh...
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:I may have screwed myself. The ship I traded for has an empty warp drive. The game hands you your first elements to make the fuel, but I have no idea where to find or buy it now! Uh oh...
The first few steps of the "story" (the checklist of things to do next) should walk you through the process of getting recipes/blueprints for warp drive and related materials. If you're still in your starting system, I don't think you could possibly be past those steps.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I never lurked around on the same planet or in the same system for long.
Did the tutorial stuff until I had everything to jump systems and craft warp cores and off I went.
I am now in my fifth system following the route I got from a monument.
Most of the systems were Gek, one of them ruled by a warrior race which had obnoxiously aggressive drones (but also cool dinosaurs).

I swapped the ship once (not much larger but better equipped, incl. hyperdrive upgrades I can't craft yet) and multitools twice. I may have maxed out my suit slots now too (not sure, there may still be more space).
I like how all of these are under the control of different game systems. Ships by salvaging crashed ones or buying them at trade spots, Multitools by first encounters with aliens upon giving the right responses (my language skills in Gek are getting good because I can talk about syrup now) and suit upgrades from exploring.

Space combat is not good and generally, I don't like the space travel at all.... I would murder Gek for an autopilot (or a map of the system... and the ability to leave map markers or remove markers).

I rarely have real fun playing it, but somehow it isn't dull either. It just keeps you going with things like learning words and sessions can become quite long as you hardly notice the time flying by.
There are still good moments around, but not in an amount that it becomes exciting. E.g. I just found a Gek monument that didn't just teach some words but actually had a choice event which I mastered thanks to me having words, the best words... felt good.

Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Man, it's almost as hot on your planet as it is in Toronto today!
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kong Wen wrote:Man, it's almost as hot on your planet as it is in Toronto today!
It's 107°Celsius, but we have syrup and dinosaurs.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

What do you generally do when there's a storm a-comin'? Do you get outta Dodge, or do you let the suit handle it?