Rogue Legacy

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: Rogue Legacy

Post by Jelly »

Is there any difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions? Is this game a fully worthwhile purchase on PS3?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote:Is there any difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions? Is this game a fully worthwhile purchase on PS3?
If you buy the PS3 version, you get the PS4 and Vita versions free. The PS3 version has all the same features as the PS4 version. Given these two points, I'd say it's a fully worthwhile purchase on PS3.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

So about that Thanatophobia trophy, do you need to erase your file to get it? Since it doesn't work on new game+ and I don't think there are multiple save slots.

Good job on your progresses, Kong. Your vids are impressive.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Yasume wrote:So about that Thanatophobia trophy, do you need to erase your file to get it? Since it doesn't work on new game+ and I don't think there are multiple save slots.
There are multiple save slots. Maybe 3-4 cross-save slots, and 4-5 on-HDD saves. I still have my main Lv. ~320 NG++ save on the top cross-save slot, and I just toggled to a new one to start my Thanato practice. You can switch slots on the main title screen.

And thanks! :)
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

That's good to hear, will definitely go for platinum now. I've been playing this on and off lately. I'm currently lvl 100-something and about to tackle Herodotus.

Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Ok, Rogue Legacy is now bought and tried.

I had my ass completely handed to me.

Anyone care to explain the basics on how to progress in this game?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote:Ok, Rogue Legacy is now bought and tried.

I had my ass completely handed to me.

Anyone care to explain the basics on how to progress in this game?
You explore as far into the castle as you can, collecting as much money as you can, then you die.

After you die, you choose an heir. Your heir inherits your money. You can then use that money to buy permanent upgrades, equipment, and runes that will apply to you and all of your future heirs.

Now that you've bought a couple new upgrades, you're better equipped to make it farther into the castle than your predecessor was. Maybe you'll earn a bit more money! Then you die.

After you die, you choose an heir. Spend the money you inherit on even more upgrades! Eventually, your descendants will be beefcakes and you'll beat the game.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Every time you die, upon restarting you'll be able to spend any money from your last life. You will do this dozens of times. Just get in there and play. It'll all come together.

[EDIT] Note that unlocking the oracle will instantly make a double-jump and dash rune available for purchase. Essential.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

This game is crazy addictive. "Just one more death".

It's a neat game. I wish the art design and music was a bit better. It sure is no Castlevania in the looks department. The backgrounds and castle tiles could have a little bit of variation.

I think art direction is very important for modern rogue-likes. The Binding of Isaac never felt generic despite being randomly-generated, I think this is due to the great art design and fun items you find.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote:This game is crazy addictive. "Just one more death".

It's a neat game. I wish the art design and music was a bit better. It sure is no Castlevania in the looks department. The backgrounds and castle tiles could have a little bit of variation.

I think art direction is very important for modern rogue-likes. The Binding of Isaac never felt generic despite being randomly-generated, I think this is due to the great art design and fun items you find.
Yeah, there's not a ton of variety in the aesthetics, but a couple of the tunes are good. There are four tile-sets. And the enemies are all palette-swaps, but at least they behave differently as they scale up.

The "one more death" aspect is definitely the main strength of the game. It's very easy to just start up again and head out and see if you can do better. Once you get later in the game and even NG+ you can start surviving the whole castle. My best run was killing every single enemy in every single room during NG+ and I think I picked up ~120,000 gold. Heheh. Have fun!