Rogue Legacy

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Rogue Legacy

Post by VictorViper »

Every boss room has a teleporter and a guaranteed meat and mana drop. The teleporter rooms in the castle that lead to the other areas are the same. I save these until I absolutely need them, since they're quick to collect all at once and safe.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

All this discussion influenced me to buy the game. So far I'm somewhere in the 20s as far as level goes, and I've killed the eye boss once (I assume that doesn't persist across new castles?). I really like the game. Plays very well on PS3 and Vita.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The bosses remain defeated even after you die, and without needing the architect, so don't feel pressured to make some monster run and take on too much at once. Just remember: Forest is always right, tower is always up, and the depths are always down.

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

VictorViper wrote:The bosses remain defeated even after you die, and without needing the architect, so don't feel pressured to make some monster run and take on too much at once. Just remember: Forest is always right, tower is always up, and the depths are always down.
Yeah, I gleaned the layout stuff from one of the diary entries. Good to know the bosses stay dead though.

Also, what area should I tackle next if I've beaten the eye? The depths seem way too tough right now, and the tower kinda does too. Am I to presume I should focus my efforts on finding and beating the forest boss?

Speaking of the bosses, I really enjoy how little things like double jump can make a boss worlds easier. I thought the eyeball was basically cake after getting double jump.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

You'll find the difficulty spike between the forest/castle and tower/dark is quite significant. The basic flow "should" be Castle>Forest>Maya>Darkness, but don't be afraid to dip in early - it's a great chance to land third-tier blueprints for an early leg up.

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

VictorViper wrote:You'll find the difficulty spike between the forest/castle and tower/dark is quite significant. The basic flow "should" be Castle>Forest>Maya>Darkness, but don't be afraid to dip in early - it's a great chance to land third-tier blueprints for an early leg up.
Oho! Interesting. I hadn't really considered that the blueprints would get progressively better in the harder areas (although that totally makes sense). Definitely something I'll keep in mind. I'm finding that runes are more helpful than armor, but that may just be because mobility options have utility that is more easily noticeable than the marginal life-saving moments better armor might afford. Still important to keep collecting both.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Movement runes are definitely more practical, but equipment becomes increasingly important late in the game and especially during NG+ and beyond. Skilled play gets you further than stats, but it's a damn tough game. Also, I should note that exploring the tower and depths doesn't guarantee higher level gear, but it's much more likely and certainly there's a LOT more gold to be had. Don't expect 4th or 5th tier gear until NG+, though. It's allegedly possible but incredibly rare.

Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

VictorViper wrote:You'll find the difficulty spike between the forest/castle and tower/dark is quite significant. The basic flow "should" be Castle>Forest>Maya>Darkness, but don't be afraid to dip in early - it's a great chance to land third-tier blueprints for an early leg up.
I agree with that difficulty spike, I'm having a hard time in both those areas. It's not something I can clear reliably, I've gotten to the boss in Maya, but was on too low HP to get a proper try. I then forgot to "lock down" the castle using the architect :( .

Is this game intended to take a crapload of time to beat? It doesn't seem realistic to beat on your first playthrough without extensive statgrinding.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Jelly wrote:
I agree with that difficulty spike, I'm having a hard time in both those areas. It's not something I can clear reliably, I've gotten to the boss in Maya, but was on too low HP to get a proper try. I then forgot to "lock down" the castle using the architect :( .

Is this game intended to take a crapload of time to beat? It doesn't seem realistic to beat on your first playthrough without extensive statgrinding.
What do you mean "first playthrough?" There's not a limited number of heirs you can have, is there?
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I'm assuming Jelly means NG - time to beat? But no, extensive stat grinding is not required. Movement runes and carefully picking your battles/knowing when to run are your two biggest survival tools, not to mention strategic use of each class' special power.

Jelly, you've probably noticed what happens when you leave and reenter a room... abuse that when you can! Avoid fairy chests you know you can't reach safely, and avoid spikes at all costs. They damage significantly more than most enemies on the first playthrough.