Rogue Legacy

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Rogue Legacy

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:Just remember: Forest is always right, tower is always up, and the depths are always down.
With one exception.
VictorViper wrote:Don't expect 4th or 5th tier gear until NG+, though. It's allegedly possible but incredibly rare.
And based on your level. You can probably get 4th & 5th tier gear in NG if you're over level 300 or so.
Jelly wrote:Is this game intended to take a crapload of time to beat? It doesn't seem realistic to beat on your first playthrough without extensive statgrinding.
Moderate stat-grinding is pretty much the entire gimmick of the game, so do expect to have to make use of it. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I just took my second run at Thanatophobia. It took 150 minutes (an average of about 10 minutes per run), and I finally ended the game at level 47. I managed to kill Khidr, Alexander, and Ponce, but I couldn't kill Herodotus in 5 tries.

I have room for improvement, as I burned one death on Alexander when he was 1-2 hits away from dying, and I burned a perfectly good P.A.D. Barbarian King on Herodotus after getting hasty.

Key is to kill Khidr on your first character, then round up as much money as you can. Get the starter runes and unlock Shinobi as soon as you can, then use them to kill Alexander and Ponce. Big damage—they'll go down fast. Then get lucky on Herodotus. I was trying to take Barbarian Kings because I like them against the end boss, but to be honest, it's rare that you ever have any choice when it comes to selecting your character.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:I just took my second run at Thanatophobia. It took 150 minutes (an average of about 10 minutes per run), and I finally ended the game at level 47. I managed to kill Khidr, Alexander, and Ponce, but I couldn't kill Herodotus in 5 tries.
Third Thanatophobia run ended in largely the same place as the second one. It took 136 minutes (average of 8.5 minutes per run), ended at level 45. I killed Khidr on my first guy, Alexander on my second, and then it took me 7 deaths to kill Ponce, and I burned the other 9 on Herodotus (mostly just trying to get to him).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

On my flight to Atlanta, I managed to beat Herodotus with my last life, but I had barely any HP left and the final boss killed me. So close!

I'm probably going to be streaming my next Thanatophobia attempt tonight on Twitch, while consuming alcoholic beverages. I'll post in the chat when I launch. :) Here's hoping the 5th time's a charm and I'll be able to get through this and earn the platinum trophy!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:Third Thanatophobia run ended in largely the same place as the second one. It took 136 minutes (average of 8.5 minutes per run), ended at level 45. I killed Khidr on my first guy, Alexander on my second, and then it took me 7 deaths to kill Ponce, and I burned the other 9 on Herodotus (mostly just trying to get to him).
I just finished live-streaming my 5th Thanatophobia run. It took 190 minutes (11.875 minutes per run), ended at level 52. I killed Khidr on my first guy, then killed Ponce and Alexander with the same character (about the 5th or 6th). I had Herodotus down to one hit left with my 7th guy, but I got surprised and blew it. I then died on him 7 more times, finally beating him with #15, who then died in one hit against the final boss. I took a fresh Knave into the final boss, but died on his first form.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I finally did it! I got the Thanatophobia trophy and the platinum!

I lucked out big time on this run. I beat Khidr with my first generic knight and also amassed something like 10k gold, which allowed me to level up like crazy. My second guy was kind of useless, but he made some big bucks as well.

My third guy killed Alexander, Ponce, and (somehow) Herodotus! He was a Shinobi with Gigantism, and he hit like a truck. I was one- or two-shotting the wizards that came out of Herodotus, which is quite frankly the only reason I beat him. Unfortunately, I was too huge to be able to avoid the final boss's attacks.

I knew I wouldn't be able to kill the boss quite yet, so I used my next several guys to go gold-hunting so I could level up, and I actually stumbled upon a couple good pieces of gear (Ranger Plate and Guardian Bracers, e.g.). I cranked every dollar into attack power, figuring if I was going to win it would have to be without getting hit anyway, and when I got a Shinobi I went in and beat the boss with her!

This is one of my proudest trophy accomplishments in recent memory.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Congrats, KW, that's a massive achievement. Guess it's time for me to stop messing around and work at it too.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.