PuyoPuyo Tetris

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

PuyoPuyo Tetris

Post by Claytone »

This crossover title between two classic falling object puzzlers finally saw worldwide release on PS4 and Switch this past week. Has anyone grabbed it besides me?

I got it on PS4 and have been having a great time with it. It's been stealing hours and hours from the other games I've been trying to knock out lately. The base source games are fun enough on their own, and the crossover variations this title introduces are all lots of fun too. My favorite of them might be "Switch," which is simply battle mode, but you rotate back and forth between playing Puyo and Tetris every 30 seconds or so on two separate boards. It's a jarring break in flow, but I actually find it really compelling. I think the Fusion mode (the only mode that involves playing Tetris and Puyo pieces on the same board) might be really good, but it's a little complex, so I haven't quite gotten the flow of it yet.

In any case, has anyone else gotten this? I've got it on PS4, but I'm strongly considering double dipping for a Switch copy as well. It seems like such a perfect portable title. If anyone's got it on PS4, I'd love to play a round or two online! All the randoms I've faced online have destroyed me. :(
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: PuyoPuyo Tetris

Post by Kong Wen »

I ended up being too busy last night to pick this up, but I'm really hoping to have time to grab it tonight.

I totally forgot that this game has already been out for like 2-3 years in Japan, so there might be some really good, experienced players online, depending on how the matchmaking works.

How many players can be in an online match together? It would be amazing to have some 3-4 player TONe games.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:I ended up being too busy last night to pick this up, but I'm really hoping to have time to grab it tonight.

I totally forgot that this game has already been out for like 2-3 years in Japan, so there might be some really good, experienced players online, depending on how the matchmaking works.

How many players can be in an online match together? It would be amazing to have some 3-4 player TONe games.
Pretty sure it's 4 player.

I only have the demo, but I really like the switch mode. I agree that it's a great jarring change of pace. You can be doing good in one mode and not the other and it becomes a frantic struggle to stay alive.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Downloaded the full game last night on Switch, figured I was playing the demo enough to justify it! I'm liking fusion and Big Bang, but I'm going to need a lot more practise with those modes to understand them. Puyo Puyo in general I need some work with, started looking through the practise videos for that one.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Clay, are you going to be up for a few games tonight? :tetris emoji:
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:Clay, are you going to be up for a few games tonight? :tetris emoji:
Technically yes, but I'm getting dinner with a friend this evening and may not be available until like midnight or later your time depending on how long that takes. Not sure what your sleep schedule's like, but I'll keep you posted in chat on what my availability is looking like.

If not, I'm down pretty much any night this week! Preds tomorrow, but I can still play.
You got BOOST power!