Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Discussion

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

neuzd wrote:So, what about a ToNe tournament?

Rules
Mode: 150cc Grand Prix
Teams: No Teams
Items: Normal Items
CPU: [No CPU | Easy CPU | Normal CPU | Hard CPU]
Vehicles: All Vehicles
Smart Steering: No Smart Steering

Time Settings
Active: Weekly [Daily | Fixed Period]
Start Day: Monday
End Day: Sunday
Races: No Limit [4 | 6 | 8 | 12 | 16 | 24 | 32 | 48]
Group Switching: Don't Switch [Every 4th Match]
Except for Smart Steering and Group Switching, the other options were available on the Wii U tournament. We raced against Normal CPU and the tournament was active from (using EU time) friday evening until monday morning. Limit of 8 races was the last changed setting, as 16 races just took too much time to complete. Racing all together would be more fun, but planning to race can be a pain with all the time differences. With more EU racers, we could race at different times from NA racers. But that leaves Australia to choose between the two groups.
As for setting up the tournament, maybe Kreegs should be the one to create and control it. He was the one that raced the most on the Wii U tournament and online overall.
Grt. Merlin

neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

How does the races-limit actually work? I mean, if I do all 8 races, then I can't join again until next week? Or is it many groups of 8 races each?
If one could join only for 8 races it can be frustrating if two people join with just 20 minutes from each other so they have just a few races to do together.
The "No Limit" setting allows everybody to jump in at any time and play for as long as they want/can, knowing that any human player is a ToNe member. Sure the points would then be more or less meaningless but do we really care about that or we just want to play together?

Also, tournaments don't seem to be editable, once created they're set.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

neuzd wrote:Sure the points would then be more or less meaningless but do we really care about that or we just want to play together?
If we just care about playing together, then why bother using a tournament instead of just playing private games? 8 or 16 "official" races over the course of a week (doesn't all have to be in the same day, which is what most people tried to do last time) for score, and then however many fun matches throughout the week you like.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

On the Wii U version, you need at least 2 human racers to start racing in the tournament. The limit of races that is set determines the races that count in the point total, anyone can join the tournament after completing the set limit. A limit of 8 works best as it doesn't take long to complete them.

Private races are an option, but rules would have to be set each time (at start of private session). A little bit of competition through a tournament is more an incentive to race every week. But either way, in time the number of active players will decline.
Grt. Merlin

neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

All right, I knew that some of your established practices would have eluded me since I didn't play MK8.
We can verify how the system considers time frames if someone over the ocean can check the settings of a couple of tournaments I created...basically by mistake. In both cases I was just checking how they're made and confirmed at the end instead of going back.

ToNe (private tournament) 1625-2869-7899
Daily: 00:00 - 23:30

Pro Drivers League: open tournament: 1990-9214-9803
Weekly: Saturday 13:00 - Sunday 20:00
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I am in favor of the tournament style again. Hopefully I can get some more people to join us, as more of my friends now have a Switch that did not have a Wii U. I have to do some painting today but I can try to check out the settings.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I like the tournament style as a mildly competitive setting.

In terms of rules, I would say smart steering is okay. I don't think any of us are likely to use it, but every once in a while a casual player will join in just for fun (usually through 2-players locally playing online) and I think it may as well be open for them to use it. It's not going to give anyone who is good at the game an advantage.

I would also suggest trying out either 4 or 6 races. 8 Races can be a lot, that's nearly half an hour right there. After you've done the maximum races you can continue to race in the tournament, you just won't earn points. I think if we just went with 4-6 races, it would encourage more people to finish the them and actually earn as many points as they can. Plus, if someone joins in late, I think people would be much more motivated to race with them for an extra 4 races rather than 8.

In terms of timing, I think we just left it open all weekend last time? It gives a rough timeframe for people to know when to race, while still being generous with timing.

Also, since this is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I suggest we have battle mode tournaments as well. We could do battle mode every other week and just edit the tournament each time, or make a separate tournament and they can run bi-weekly, alternating between racing and battling.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

I noticed how the tournaments can be edited when they're not "live". Does anyone care to check what their game says about the tournaments times I posted earlier?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I like Shoe's suggestion of 4-6 races. His rationale makes perfect sense. I forgot that you could continue racing after your card is done. That'll allow us to keep racing privately against TONe people too, and if anyone hasn't finished their official tourney races, they can get them done that way.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:I like the tournament style as a mildly competitive setting.

In terms of rules, I would say smart steering is okay. I don't think any of us are likely to use it, but every once in a while a casual player will join in just for fun (usually through 2-players locally playing online) and I think it may as well be open for them to use it. It's not going to give anyone who is good at the game an advantage.

I would also suggest trying out either 4 or 6 races. 8 Races can be a lot, that's nearly half an hour right there. After you've done the maximum races you can continue to race in the tournament, you just won't earn points. I think if we just went with 4-6 races, it would encourage more people to finish the them and actually earn as many points as they can. Plus, if someone joins in late, I think people would be much more motivated to race with them for an extra 4 races rather than 8.

In terms of timing, I think we just left it open all weekend last time? It gives a rough timeframe for people to know when to race, while still being generous with timing.

Also, since this is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I suggest we have battle mode tournaments as well. We could do battle mode every other week and just edit the tournament each time, or make a separate tournament and they can run bi-weekly, alternating between racing and battling.
I agree to all of this.
I intend to live forever, or die trying