Nintendo Switch Online

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Nintendo Switch Online

Post by Claytone »

Figured this warranted its own thread.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

First details about Nintendo's new online service. Pretty scant so far, but it's also only 20 USD/year. I'm not yet impressed by what's on offer, but I'm interested to see what information arises in the coming months.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Nintendo Switch Online

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm guessing that will be about $30/year Canadian. We'll see what they can do. I think what we see in MK8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 will be what we should expect from the service, I really doubt they'll improve their services or add more features to online games after the service becomes paid.

Interesting that it was delayed from Fall 2017 to 2018 though.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Christ. What a mess.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

So Nintendo is now saying you get to keep the monthly virtual console releases if you stay subscribed. Before they were saying you would lose them at the end of the month.

Will start with NES games, SNES "under consideration".

So $20 a year for monthly releases, discounts, online. We'll see how good these "discounts" are, and we already know what to expect of the online.

Personally, I was always interested in a virtual console subscription service, so I like this.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:So Nintendo is now saying you get to keep the monthly virtual console releases if you stay subscribed. Before they were saying you would lose them at the end of the month.

So $20 a year for monthly releases, discounts, online. We'll see how good these "discounts" are, and we already know what to expect of the online.

Personally, I was always interested in a virtual console subscription service, so I like this.
$30 a year for Canadians (still not a bad deal).

The site doesn't say anything about the classic library being monthly releases. It says there is a compilation of titles you can play. We don't yet know (unless they clarified on Twitter or something) whether that means it's a Netflix-style buffet, or whether it's a small batch of titles being trickled out, nor do we know what the update schedule looks like (it could be 3 different games every 3 months). We'll have to wait for more information.

I agree with your skepticism on discounts. Nintendo is pretty bad about sales.

I'm really surprised they didn't mention anything about My Nintendo integration (new missions/rewards for Switch-related games and activities).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:So Nintendo is now saying you get to keep the monthly virtual console releases if you stay subscribed. Before they were saying you would lose them at the end of the month.

$30 a year for Canadians (still not a bad deal).

The site doesn't say anything about the classic library being monthly releases. It says there is a compilation of titles you can play. We don't yet know (unless they clarified on Twitter or something) whether that means it's a Netflix-style buffet, or whether it's a small batch of titles being trickled out, nor do we know what the update schedule looks like (it could be 3 different games every 3 months). We'll have to wait for more information.

I agree with your skepticism on discounts. Nintendo is pretty bad about sales.

I'm really surprised they didn't mention anything about My Nintendo integration (new missions/rewards for Switch-related games and activities).
Basically I'm putting together what they said back in January and what they're saying now, but you're right in that it could be completely different.

They have a Switch section on my Nintendo ready with nothing on it, maybe they are waiting to get custom themes going? They don't have much to offer in terms of software yet.

That actually reminds me that it's been over one year since My Nintendo launched and i havent used it since it came out for anything beyond their smartphone stuff and the initial reward selection. I definitely had more use out of Club Nintendo even in it's dying years.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Kong Wen »

HOLY FUCK LMAO ROFL AND ALL THE LAUGHING REACTS: Nintendo Switch online services delayed to 2018 because—and I shit you not—"When we launch something, we want it to be great."

Yeah, that explains the flawless launch of the Nintendo Switch without any features.
Unfortunate Fall-Guy Mouthpiece Reggie wrote:As Nintendo looks at the overall online digital experience there's a recognition that there's a lot of work to be world class. [...] We believe our IP is world class. We believe that when we create a piece of hardware it's world class. We need to get our digital environment world class. And that's what we're working hard to do.
Probably maybe should have started working on that a decade ago then?

Jesus Christ. I mean, at least they're putting a lot of work into actually making a decent online system, I guess? That's the hope, right? The stuff he mentions in this article is at least stuff people have been clamoring for (VC, Netflix, Amazon, voice chat), so there's a chance they will actually do something right, given time.
kawaiipikachu wrote:Well actually thee Switch uses Display port over USB as by USB-C standard second version & it's confirmed by the iFixit teardown of the switch with a Megachips STDP2550 Mobility DisplayPort (MyDP) to HDMI Converter chip inside.
meaning that depending on the chip that Nyko deside to use might compromise the quality & or latency.
Very interesting! I doubt it'll make a discernible difference. Will they do a teardown of the NYKO dock once they get their hands on it? Right now, it seems like the only really portable alternative, and it's by a reputable third-party company, so I image they'd want to compare.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by The Shoemaker »

I find it weird that streaming services like Netflix still aren't available. Usually those companies are the ones that design the apps right? It must be some weird thing with Nintendo where they straight up aren't allowing app development.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Complete ripoff.