Nintendo Switch Online

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Claytone »

The Shoemaker wrote:I find it weird that streaming services like Netflix still aren't available. Usually those companies are the ones that design the apps right? It must be some weird thing with Nintendo where they straight up aren't allowing app development.
I don't actually know the answer to this, but my guess is that Nintendo didn't approach these companies pre-launch to discuss such apps. Netflix, Amazon, etc. can't really get these things ready for launch if they don't have access to them. Mind-boggling, yes, but that's my guess as to what's happened there.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Nintendo Switch Online

Post by SkyPikachu »

New online service coming September details here
  • Access to playing games online (obviously)
  • 20 NES games with more added regularly (TLOZ, SMB, SMB3, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario + more)
  • Cloud Save (nothing about size)
  • Nintendo Switch Online app (Not sure if it'll be updated or still be the same)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 08 May 2018 05:00 New online service coming September details here
  • Access to playing games online (obviously)
  • 20 NES games with more added regularly (TLOZ, SMB, SMB3, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario + more)
  • Cloud Save (nothing about size)
  • Nintendo Switch Online app (Not sure if it'll be updated or still be the same)
Sounds like the app will be expanded on.

Also eshop deals, and you can share your subscription with 8 people.

You can also cooperatively play single player nes games online with friends - as in switch between who is playing and who is watching.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 08 May 2018 05:54you can share your subscription with 8 people.
Worth noting that's the $35 USD option. The $20 USD option is only for 1 account. The $35 option is up to 8 people (You + 7 others). That's honestly a pretty great price at $5 USD a year.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The price is right but the service sounds like trash right now.

eShop deals are not a draw unless they're significantly better than the usual lame duck sales Nintendo usually offers ($5 off a full-price 2-year-old game). Even then, excellent deals and deep price cuts should be available to everyone unless they're icing on the cake. Sony does this well right now, with frequent 50-80% off sales and PS+ discounts on top of that.

Temporary access to the usual suite of 20 NES games that have popped up on every sundry Virtual Console service is fine. It's a bit bittersweet that they're also announced they're not bringing back the Virtual Console "brand"—I guess this is meant to replace that. Here's hoping they actually add some interesting games.

The online functionality is what's going to sell this service, solely for Mario Kart and Smash. Cloud saves are good too, but I'd like some more details on that front.

Where's Netflix, YouTube, a browser, a way to rent TV shows and movies, and party chat functionality?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 08 May 2018 13:34 The price is right but the service sounds like trash right now.

eShop deals are not a draw unless they're significantly better than the usual lame duck sales Nintendo usually offers ($5 off a full-price 2-year-old game). Even then, excellent deals and deep price cuts should be available to everyone unless they're icing on the cake. Sony does this well right now, with frequent 50-80% off sales and PS+ discounts on top of that.

Temporary access to the usual suite of 20 NES games that have popped up on every sundry Virtual Console service is fine. It's a bit bittersweet that they're also announced they're not bringing back the Virtual Console "brand"—I guess this is meant to replace that. Here's hoping they actually add some interesting games.

The online functionality is what's going to sell this service, solely for Mario Kart and Smash. Cloud saves are good too, but I'd like some more details on that front.

Where's Netflix, YouTube, a browser, a way to rent TV shows and movies, and party chat functionality?
I've given up on expecting anything good on the switch outside of the games.

14 months and honestly have seen no real improvements to the UI or system features. It still feels like a console in Alpha stage.

Also if this is there replacement for Virtual Console (the 20 NES games) I'm going to be so sad.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Slurmee wrote: 08 May 2018 14:33 I've given up on expecting anything good on the switch outside of the games.
Their focus was mainly to be only focus on games; less on other entertainment.
Also if this is there replacement for Virtual Console (the 20 NES games) I'm going to be so sad.
Doesn’t really matter because there’s Arcade Archives (including some Nintendo ones), SEGA AGES and various collections of iconic franchises and companies throughout their history (Mega Man, Street Fighter, Namco, SNK, etc.).

Nintendo has their classic/mini system series, that’s good enough. I liked the third party’s Virtual Console services better anyway much more than Nintendo’s version.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I argue the mini classic systems are not at all good enough. Great devices, but novelty items. I don't want to play classic games with a 5 foot cord on the TV only.

I'm okay with virtual console going away if the online service continually expands the game selection monthly and adds in additional consoles like SNES and n64. That's exactly what I want really, a subscription virtual console. My main concern is it's going to be forever before the good games come around.

I'm also fine with these games mostly being Nintendo titles, as third parties are getting their legacy titles out a different way. We're just not at all going to see the selection as the Wii days, and likely even less than Wii U days.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

kitroplious wrote: 08 May 2018 19:07
Slurmee wrote: 08 May 2018 14:33 I've given up on expecting anything good on the switch outside of the games.
Except there’s been barely anything of interest released since the holiday season an average Kirby, labo tailored for children and ports of games I already bought last gen.

I honestly am liking the Wii U era better than this. Atleast I had backwards compatibility, virtual console, Netflix, Folders, a better UI. Sure there wasn’t much 3rd party but that’s what my PS3/4 was. Also online was free.

It feels like 1 step forward 8 steps back.

Nintendo has to convince me this E3 that they actually are going to improve and impress me.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 09 May 2018 00:30
kitroplious wrote: 08 May 2018 19:07
Except there’s been barely anything of interest released since the holiday season an average Kirby, labo tailored for children and ports of games I already bought last gen.

I honestly am liking the Wii U era better than this. Atleast I had backwards compatibility, virtual console, Netflix, Folders, a better UI. Sure there wasn’t much 3rd party but that’s what my PS3/4 was. Also online was free.

It feels like 1 step forward 8 steps back.

Nintendo has to convince me this E3 that they actually are going to improve and impress me.
This year has been shockingly dry. They have a lot planned for the second half in theory, so I wonder how much 2019 content we'll see at e3