E3 2017

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: E3 2017

Post by SkyPikachu »

Overall ratings of every conference/extras

EA - D 6th/Last
When the highlight is Story Mode in Madden 18 you know things are bad.

Microsoft - C+ 3rd
Surprisingly good considering my hate for the company and not owning a XBone. Ori and Super Lucky's Tale were the stand out games for me both can be played on PC so honestly they didn't sell me a XBone which honestly should have been their job. (Not complaining though) Cuphead and Anthem looked interesting too but I'll have to see more.

Bethesda - D+ 5th
Skyrim for Switch finally announced no release date is annoying other than that there was nothing. I'm not a huge Bethesda fan but I still was expect something big.

PC Gaming Show - N/A
I'm not going to rate this as it was barely covered by any company and I generally don't care much about it. Ooblets and Tunic did look interesting though but they're more indie games.

Ubisoft- B 2nd
Pretty much got the B for Mario and Miyamoto. I was so pleasantly surprised by that game. South Park still looks good and I wont comment on Beyond Good and Evil 2 as I have yet to play the original.

Sony - C- 4th
Umm yeah shitshow. 3 new announcements. Monster Hunter Worlds it looked cool but I never got into the series, Shadow of the Colossus i will probably try this once it's cheaper, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite i guess children will like it. Anything else new was VR which imo doesnt count. Also QTE Spiderman looks like a movie instead of a game which worries me. ALSO NO CRASH 4 :cry:

Nintendo - B+ 1st
They jammed a lot into 25 minutes, New Kirby and Yoshi games shown for switch, Rocket League + cross platform play announced and coming this year (Sony you suck for opting out), GameFreak Pokemon on a console announce, Metroid Prime 4 announced plus a few other things and Mario trailer. Straight after they had 30 minutes of Mario stuff I barely watched much as I was sold already and didn't want spoilers. After that They then go to announce Metroid: Samus Returns & Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions for 3ds. They missed out on a few core things which upset me. No VC talk, No Animal Crossing, Smash or New Ip. I would have given them an A if they had spoken about VC and explained to us why it's been delayed and shown off some new games as much as Pokemon and Metroid 4 was nice we want to see stuff as well and I feel that's where Nintendo fell through a little thus only the B+

---

Games I will buy.
Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy June 30th 2017 - Pre-ordered
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle August 29th 2017 - Day 1 purchase
Metroid: Samus Returns September 15th 2017 - Will wait for sale but will buy for sure
South Park: The Fractured But Whole October 17th 2017 - Day 1 purchase
Super Mario Odyssey October 27th 2017 - Day 1 purchase
Yoshi 2018 - Unsure when I'll buy
Kingdom Hearts III TBA - Once I catch up with the series
Ori and the Will of the Wisps TBA - Once it drops in price as it's not a $60/$80 game imo
Skyrim Switch TBA - Unsure when I'll buy

Not a bad 2017 lineup.
Last edited by SkyPikachu on 14 Jun 2017 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

In regards to Nintendo not talking about VC at e3, I wouldn't be surprised if we go the rest of the year not hearing about it besides the subscription service. Based on their last comments, sounds like they don't know what they are doing with VC yet.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:In regards to Nintendo not talking about VC at e3, I wouldn't be surprised if we go the rest of the year not hearing about it besides the subscription service. Based on their last comments, sounds like they don't know what they are doing with VC yet.
I think you're right but I hope you're wrong and we have a August Direct with Smash Wii U port, new Animal Crossing, VC announcements and release dates for Kirby/Yoshi. Or atleast just the last 2.

Regarding Smash and Animal Crossing I'm hoping Yoshi and Kirby release before E3 2018 and we get Smash/AC released Holidays 2018 as I don't think Yoshi/Kirby is good enough for Holiday sales.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

My summation of the press conferences:

Ubisoft >>> Sony >> Nintendo > Bethesda >> MS > EA

The idea that Nintendo beat Sony, or even Sony and Ubisoft, I just can't help but find that hilarious (although not really surprising, given the levels of fanboyhood out in the wild). To be fair, if we're judging these purely in terms of what each company is promoting that's of personal interest, then it makes sense for people's personal preferences to lead them to wildly different conclusions.

Ubisoft showed a lot of new stuff, and gave us detailed looks at stuff we already knew about. And it was quality stuff. And they re-announced BG&E2. Quantity and quality combined with a decent presentation gives them the top spot this year.

Sony's conference wasn't the most showy, but I appreciate them cutting through the bullshit. They showed a lot more new stuff than Nintendo, showed us dedication to VR support, and gave us deeper looks at blockbusters we already knew were coming (God of War, Spider-Man).

Nintendo's conference was of a similar tone to Sony's, but on a smaller scale, with a bit more filler (too much time spent on Zelda DLC and amoeba). Fewer new games announced (unless you include the new games coming to old 3DS tech as opposed to Sony's new VR tech, which brings them up to about par), a more in-depth look at fewer existing games (granted, it was good to see Mario Odyssey in action, which is probably the Switch's closest equivalent to God of War in terms of a flagship first-party prestige title). Hearing off-hand comments about a "core Pokemon RPG" coming to Switch eventually, and seeing the title of Metroid Prime 4 printed on the screen are good confidence-boosters, and they communicate the fact that Nintendo is committed to rolling out new games across their whole platter of IPs on the system, but there's no information about them: no video, no screenshot, not even concept art, so they don't really count for too much more than any of the stuff Sony showed, and they certainly don't come close to matching the hype of the BG&E2 re-reveal. Even if we're counting the new 3DS games (2D Metroid remake, GBA Mario RPG remake), this conference gets boosted up to just behind Sony's.

Once we get behind Nintendo, there's not much interesting happening to make the distinctions interesting to talk about. Bethesda, Microsoft, and EA all showed little pockets of interesting things, but nothing that added up to overall quality conference hype levels.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Amazon is offering a flat 20% discount on E3 games. In past years, it has been 30-33% off if you order 3 or more. I'm trying to think of games I care enough about to pre-order them rather than just waiting for them to go on sale for more than 20% off...

Destiny 2 is already pre-ordered.

Maybe Monster Hunter World, Ni no Kuni II, Dynasty Warriors: Fire Emblem Edition, XCOM: Mario Edition, and Metroid II Remake. Heck, maybe Xenoblade II too since Nintendo games never go on sale.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I felt like this E3 mostly just sucked balls.

I am getting close to wanting a Switch though. They still need to sort out the hardware problems. Afaik the console is still a complete disastrous mess.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:I felt like this E3 mostly just sucked balls.

I am getting close to wanting a Switch though. They still need to sort out the hardware problems. Afaik the console is still a complete disastrous mess.
Its problems are mostly software/OS/firmware moreso than hardware. I've never had a problem that I'd describe as hardware related. There are some hardware design nuisances, like the position of the charging port. My controllers have been well-behaved. What's missing is system features, online/party functionality, and options.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Haven't provided any takes yet, so here I am.

I'm super excited for Super Mario Odyssey and Spider-Man. As with every other high-effort Mario title, I expect Odyssey to be an absolute, console-defining delight. That's a high standard, and I really don't expect to be disappointed. This is my favorite game series period, so I'm happy to see a new mainline entry given the same care that we've not seen since Galaxy.

Spider-Man, meanwhile, just looks awesome. Webslinging looks fun, combat looks fun. Looks like a great action game with cool setpieces.
You got BOOST power!
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

I keep forgetting about Insomniac's Spider-Man. I was really impressed with the footage shown at Sony's conference. I'm sure I'll eventually pick that one up.

Odyssey was the best game of the show, to me. Yoshi was the best new announcement, to me.

I already have Crash Bandicoot and South Park preordered. I really need to find a Switch for Mario. The Rabbids crossover looks interesting, but I'm still not sold on it.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Kong, I thought that there were still numerous problems with the left joycon controller and the console bricking.